|Location||Gambela, Gambela, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||July 4, 2021|
|Category|| Agriculture |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future. Mercy Corps has been operating in Ethiopia since 2004, working in rural, peri-urban and urban areas in five regional states - Somali, Oromia, Afar, Southern Nations Nationalities and Peoples, Amhara - and the capital city of Addis Ababa. We engage in both development and humanitarian work, and seek to integrate approaches, programs and geographies as much as possible. Our partners include government, academic institutions, development and private sector actors, civil societies and communities. Mercy Corps Ethiopia invites motivated and qualified candidates to apply for the following vacant position.
Position Title: Project Coordinator
Number of Positions: one
Program / Department Summary
Mercy corps is a global leader in governance strengthening and peace building. Between 2004 and 2012 Mercy corps was primarily a peace building organization in Ethiopia with a strong track record of partnerships and impact. With the revised proclamation to contribute working in the area, Mc has started a small trade4peace pilot intervention (under its RISING program) to demonstrate the importance and potential impact of this approach. Complimentary to this we are about to implement a 2 million dollar program through the funding of the Hilton foundation that will be implemented for one year. The program will focus on creating community governance institutions that promote peace and social cohesion between refugees and host communities and which fosters mutually beneficial economic interactions and opportunities. The proposed trade 4 peace program will consist of two objectives
- Trade 4 peace governance institutions become drivers of cooperation and peace between refugee and host communities
- Improve livelihood and Market opportunities for refugee and host communities
General Position Summary
The project coordinator is responsible for the overall design and implementation of the project. He/she will lead dedicated team to implement activities in respect to peace building activities, development of infrastructures like irrigation and Natural resource management, water harvesting and rangeland management to improve the livelihood and opportunities of host and refugee communities in the region
Essential Job Responsibilities
STRATEGY & VISION
● Recognizes opportunities for innovative action and create an environment where project teams work together, exchange information, coordinate activities and develop team spirit in project management
● Works closely with project management other team members to contribute to a vision and strategy development
● Serve under the direction of the Area manager to implement the peace building and infrastructural development program including management of the grant and direct supervision of project activities
● Provide day to day supervision of team members including administrative, financial and logistical support.
● Ensure all MC administration, logistical, human resources and financial procedures are followed in relation to implementation of this grant.
● Conduct regular site visits of the project sites to ensure proper delivery of services.
● Provide technical support and oversee sound, quality implementation of community-based NRM/CCA activities as per community plans and agreements, including soil and water conservation, rangeland rehabilitation, water harvesting and conservation where appropriate, timely development and communication of early warning information and advisories
● Design and develop activities and corresponding work plans specific to peace and conflict; facilitate co-design sessions across sectors to ensure peace-building and conflict sensitivity are integrated across all sector activities and work plans; review and sign off on each work plan and concept note
● Assist in monthly report writing on program progress, obstacles and recommendations.
● Assist in donor report writing as requested; including gathering of information.
● Assist in filing and record keeping of project activities and data entry of program statistics as requested.
● Assist with security monitoring to ensure MC staff, assets and partners are able to work securely.
● Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to work alongside the area manager for the best interest of the program of Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
● Conduct himself/herself professionally so as to be a credit to Mercy Corps operations.
● Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
● Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
● As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
● Be a thought partner in the recruitment of diverse team and promoting inclusive and safe workplace environment including supporting early career team members to fulfil their professional goals
● Lead by example to promote gender equal and inclusive workplace culture in a day to day interaction with team members, partners and program participants
● Continually encourage the team to consider gender equality, diversity and social inclusion priorities of the country office and contribute in the execution in programming as well as organizational transformation
Knowledge and Experience
. Bachelor’s degree or MA in one of the following subjects: Natural Resource Management, Plant Science, Agriculture extension, livestock Management, development studies, Environmental Science, Disaster Risk management social science/s, peacebuilding and conflict mitigation, international development, humanitarian response, , international relations
● Five to seven years of experience in the related activities.
● Strong facilitation and consensus-building skills, particularly in peacebuilding and conflict management
● Strong understanding of peacebuilding and conflict management mechanisms and processes as part of economic development activities
● Experience in leading program implementation and management
● Willingness and ability to perform field work and spend extensive time in remote areas
● Ability to engage with communities and various traditional institutions, women’s and youth groups
● Ability to effectively with diverse ethnic groups within the target area
● Experience in the region is required
A successful candidate will have a demonstrated ability to lead and communicate effectively with team members of varied work styles, follow procedures, and meet deadlines with flexibility and creativity in planning and problem solving. S/he will have a proven ability to learn quickly, take initiative, and be accountable for results, understand the larger picture while remaining focused on the details, work within a complex security and political situation and to follow strict security protocols.
All interested candidates are encouraged to apply for the position advertised. All applications submitted to the Mercy Corps office include a CV, three references, and all relevant official documents. Applications will not be returned and will not be retained for future recruitment efforts. In order to ensure fairness to all applicants personal inquiries are not permitted.
Only candidates that are short listed will be acknowledged and called for interviews.
“Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer promoting gender, equity and diversity. Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to empower women.”
DEADLINE FOR ALL APPLICATIONS: 10 July, 2021/ 4:00 PM
Please send non-returnable applications and credentials to one of the following address:
Mercy Corps Recruiter
Addis Ababa: P.O. Box 14319
Arbaminch: P.O. Box 33 , Jijiga: P.O. Box 225
Negelle Borena: P.O. Box 116
Dire Dewa: P.O. Box 974
Gambella Merc Cops Office: in person