|Date Posted||April 14, 2020|
|Category|| Administration |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
The Project Director will provide leadership, ensure the quality of project deliverables and oversee all administrative, technical, financial and management aspects of an anticipated CDC India: Accelerating Sustainability of Public Health Systems in India to Prevent, Detect, and Respond to Infectious Disease Outbreaks and Other Public Health Emergencies that will improve prevention of avoidable epidemics including naturally occurring outbreaks and intentional or accidental releases of dangerous pathogens, to improve ability to rapidly detect threats early, including detecting, characterizing, and to report emerging biological threats by responding rapidly and effectively to public health threats of international concern. This includes strengthening the capacity of national laboratory systems, surveillance systems, human resources, and emergency response operations.
The Project Director will oversee a team providing quality technical, operational, and financial oversight for core activities and direct technical assistance and capacity building support to the country team. S/he will provide overall strategic leadership and vision for the team and will manage long- and short-term technical expertise across all result areas, and ensure the project meets the stated goals and reporting requirements. S/he will be responsible for making key decisions and solving problems in short timeframes while ensuring operational and project quality and integrity. S/he will also ensure effective organizational management and communication with the host country government at all levels, and international partners and agencies.
Please note that the position is contingent upon successful award of the project and the selection of the final applicant is subject to donor approval. The position will be based in New Delhi, India.
Specific responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Provide strategic direction, leadership and management oversight of the project;
- Maintain excellent relationships with CDC and in-country stakeholders and develop rapid response;
- Oversee project work planning, performance management, and strategic communications;
- Identify issues and risks related to project implementation in a timely manner and appropriate program adjustment;
- Manage a diverse team of technical, operational and management staff, ensuring an organizational structure with specific roles and responsibilities;
- Ensure that the project activities are meeting client and stakeholder expectations and that project results are proactively disseminated, and learnings are shared and incorporated for continuous improvement;
- Provide vision and leadership to the development the project strategic plan, work plan, and project monitoring, in close collaboration with CDC, government, and other stakeholders to ensure timely implementation and compliance to the requirements and regulations of the award;
- Work closely with the technical and operational staff on setting project priorities and directions, and responding to requests for support from local counterparts;
- Coordinate advocacy, demand generation, and policy support across project sites as required;
- Lead the formulation of innovative approaches for capacity building, and scale up project services;
- Work with M&E staff to design, implement a plan to track project data/results to inform adjustments in project implementation;
- Lead the documentation of successes, lessons learned and challenges in implementation as well as reports of project activities and results to the project and donor, including routine quarterly and annual reports and other reporting requirements as requested;
- Lead strategy and engagement with local implementing partners to build their capacity and to ensure sustainability; and
- Manage technical contributions of potential sub-grantees/subcontractors, including defining scopes of work.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Advanced degree in public health, health administration, international health or a related field; MD preferred;
- Previous experience serving as Chief of Party/Project Director, Deputy Chief of Party, or other senior-level management role;
- 10+ years' experience successfully managing large US government, multi-partner, multi-year health and/or capacity development projects (preferably in India);
- Experience in preparing and managing global health security, infectious disease prevention, outbreak response activities;
- Demonstrated experience leading a capacity-building approach for local actors in the public sector, and providing capacity building assistance at individual and organizational levels;
- Demonstrated experience with a mix of practical technical skills in Global Health Security Agenda topics, including surveillance, laboratory strengthening, emergency response operations, and workforce strengthening;
- Demonstrated in-depth understanding of global health security, emergency response operations, and International Health Regulations (IHR) frameworks;
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge in establishing project systems and overseeing project start-up and close-out;
- Demonstrated outstanding leadership, strategic thinking, organizational, team-building, and representational skills;
- Proven track record managing a project team composed of technical experts and fostering teamwork;
- Proven track record monitoring budgets and expenses to stay within obligations; and
- Excellent verbal, written, interpersonal, and presentation skills in English.