|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||July 17, 2020|
|Category|| Business Development |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Title: Project Director- Antenatal and Postnatal Care Research Collective
Department: Ethiopia Country Office, Addis Ababa
Duty Station: Addis Ababa
Summary Scope of Work:
The Project Director will provide leadership, managerial, and technical oversight for a new research initiative funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF). The Project Director will design, planning and implementation of at least two research studies on new service delivery models for antenatal and postnatal care (ANC/PNC). S/he will also be responsible for managing partner relationships and facilitating an overall relationship with the Ethiopia Federal Ministry of Health (MOH), Regional Health bureaus, local research organizations, and local partners. S/he will ensure that all project deliverables are met on time, scope, and within budget. S/he will supervise a team of qualified national staff.
- Position Reports to: Country Director
- Position Supervised: MNCH Program Manager
All staff members of Jhpiego, regardless of the level of their responsibilities are expected to:
- Model the mission and values stated above.
- Actively participate in the business development process.
- Actively participate in the knowledge sharing and transfer process.
- Make responsible decisions that result in both time and cost containment.
- Provide programmatic and technical leadership for the ANC/PNC research collective, ensuring the technical and financial integrity of the project and achieving goals, objectives, and targets.
- Promote a strong sense of teamwork and partnership across the program and provide programmatic leadership to regionally based staff.
- Lead the development of annual work plans, and other program deliverables; participate in or lead as necessary the development of plans and reports.
- Facilitate the development of innovative program approaches and interventions.
- Develop and monitor work plans, make budgetary decisions, monitor the implementation of activities, and ensure that program deliverables are met.
- Supervise technical and program staff and take part in their regular performance review. Provide capacity building guidance to supervisees and other team members.
New Business Development:
- Contribute to proposal management, design, writing, and editing of Ethiopia bids, as requested.
- Encourage team members to actively share information and knowledge with other Jhpiego country programs and headquarters.
- Represent Jhpiego in professional circles and present key findings at conferences and workshops.
Required Skills, Attitudes and Attributes:
- Excellent program management skills with the ability to juggle multiple priorities and deliver on tight time deadlines.
- Flexibility and open-mindedness - willingness to learn and train on a novel service delivery approach and/or tool that may be unfamiliar
- Familiarity with basic parameters of human subjects’ research and implementation research, or willing and able to be trained. Experience developing study protocols preferred.
- Familiarity with Ethiopia’s health system, key stakeholders and relevant government policies/strategies.
- Experience supporting ANC and/or PNC quality of care (experience and/or provision of care) at community or facility level; Familiarity with national ANC and PNC guidelines, and infant immunization guidelines for first year of life
- Excellent interpersonal skills including communication, working in a multi-disciplinary team; ability to establish and maintain relationships with partners and donors in-country and worldwide, strong work ethic.
- Previous experience managing complex grants is highly preferred.
- Understanding of public health and development approaches particularly in the Ethiopian context.
- Excellent facilitation, presentation, team building, negotiation and coordination skills.
- Highly Proficient in English and Amharic. Excellent writing skills.
- Computer literacy: Microsoft Office (Word, Excel & PowerPoint).
- Post-graduate degree in public health or similar field is required. Medical or Midwifery Degree preferred
- At least 15 years work experience, with minimum of ten (10) years progressive senior experience in successful field implementation and technical expertise of managing projects in Ethiopia.
- Demonstrated self-management (i.e. motivation, dealing with pressure, adaptability) and the ability to project a professional, consistent image of confidence, integrity and competence.
- Ability to travel domestically up to 30%
Applicant are expected to STRICTLY follow the below listed application procedures:
- Only qualified and interested applicants can submit application letter and well written curriculum vitae saved in one complied PDF format
- Applicants are required to state their current basic salary in their application letter
- Applicants must make sure their application document is saved by their full name
- CREDENTIALS OR WORK CERTIFICATES must not be submitted at this point
- The job position being applied for must be explicitly stated in the application letter
- Please use E-mail HREthiopia@jhpiego.org to submit your applications and make sure job position title is clearly stated in the subject line
Equal Opportunity Employer
Jhpiego offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive employee benefits package. The winning candidate is expected to start within short period after finalization of the recruitment process.
The deadline for applications is July 25, 2020