|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||April 15, 2020|
|Category|| Business Development |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
The Institute for Peace and Security Studies (IPSS) of Addis Ababa University (AAU) was established in 2007 with a task of offering quality education and capacity training in the specialised field of peace and security to students and other stakeholders, as well as foster peace and security through research, dialogue and other outreach activities in Ethiopia, the greater Horn of Africa and across Africa.
The Institute for Peace and Security Studies (IPSS) hosts the African Research Universities Alliance (ARUA) Centre of Excellence (CoE) for Post Conflict Societies. The main objective of the CoE is to facilitate and advance education and training, and African-led research knowledge generation and dissemination in conflict prevention, management, and post-conflict reconstruction and development by providing a platform for learners and educators at national, regional, continental and global levels.
The CoE, in partnership with the Universities of Lagos (Nigeria), Makerere (Uganda) and Sheffield (UK) won a grant from ARUA-GCRF Research Excellence Call. The research project, Migration, Urbanisation and Conflict in Africa (MUCA), examines the interlinkages between the three key processes in nine African cities. The CoE thus is now interested to recruit a Project Manager for the research project.
The project manager will support the project management, operations and effective finance and administration of the research project, under ARUA’s CoE for Post-Conflict Societies.
Tasks and Deliverables
The project manager is expected to have three major roles: administrative and financial support; project management; and networking and liaison.
· Support the development of work plans, reports and other materials relevant to the project;
· Monitor the implementation of the project activities, and monitor changes to the project scope; schedule and costs according to the project’s work plan and report to the Principal Investigator;
· Monitor the timelines for all donor action such as prior approval, continuation application etc.
· Follow up the project’s donor reporting and ensure compliance with donor requirements;
· Provide regular reports to the CoE/ AAU and the UKRI/GCRF with the approval of the PI;
· Participate and implement other related activities as requested by the Principal Investigator;
Support administrative and financial functions:
· Provide overall support to the management and coordination of the Research Project by closely working with the researchers located at different Universities;
· Regularly monitor budget allocation and utilization among the partner institutions and ensure if the process is compliant with agreements entered with each partner University;
· Support in budgeting, financial management and reporting;
· Undertake a range of administrative duties and tasks that may reflect substantial variety and complexity;
· Provide logistical and administrative support for the project;
Networking and liaison
· Develop and maintain a sound network and working relationship with the government and other stakeholders and counterparts;
· Liaise with implementing partners to ensure the delivery of outputs;
· Engage and network with various stakeholders, building relationships to advance the objectives of the project;
· Organize events, workshops, meetings, and training;
· Undertake other activities as required by the project’s PI.
Qualification and Experience
· Minimum second degree in the social sciences, preferably in Political Science, Global Studies, Peace and Security Studies, and Development Studies;
· Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of post-conflict societies;
· At least five years of demonstrable experience in project management, finance and administration, partnership management, fundraising strategies and resource mobilization;
· Excellent project proposal and report writing skills and previous experience in project management activities.
· Strong administrative, organizational and communications skills;
· Confident use of IT systems and packages, including Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook); and
· Fluent in written and spoken English
One-year full time with the possibility of renewal
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and a short CV (no longer than 3 pages) to the email address: firstname.lastname@example.org till the 29th of April 2020.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.