|Location||Jigjiga 50% frequently travel to Gerbo, Somal, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||August 20, 2020|
|Category|| Health Care / Medical |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Context of the mission
Médecins du Monde (MDM) is an International Non-Governmental Organization (INGO) involved in humanitarian interventions, operating in Ethiopia since 1986 in different types of health projects from long-term interventions to emergency response. The Country Head Office and Coordination team are based in Addis Abeba. The MdM Somali Regional Office is based in Jijiga.
In January – February 2019, MdM France (MdM-F) and MdM Germany (MdM- Ge) conducted a joint-Fact Finding Mission in the Somali region. The goal of this mission was to assess the humanitarian needs caused by ongoing drought and conflict and evaluate intervention options for MdM. The assessment covered three zones: Gerbo, Qubi and Lagahida. After approval of project proposal by the German Federal Foreign Office (GFFO), the 24-month project has been launched 1 July 2019.
The project aims primarily to improve access to and the quality of health services with a focus on life-saving Mother and Child Health (MCH) interventions. The activities include ensuring high-quality basic emergency obstetric and newborn care (BEmONC) at the Gerbo health centre; improving MCH services at Molayko health centre. The focus is on capacity-building, training and mentoring, equipment and medical supplies, and community sensitization. In relation to improving prevention, monitoring and control of epidemics in this region, such as acute watery diarrhoea (AWD) and measles, the focus is also on support of infection prevention and control (IPC)/medical waste management in the 2 health centres and capacity-building in vaccination routine/outreach, cold chain management for staff at the healthcare facilities (both the 2 health centres and the 7 health posts). With a local partner organisation, the screening, identification, management and treatment of acute malnutrition (moderate and severe) will also be improved, using community management of acute malnutrition (CMAM) approach, both at healthcare facilities and through targeted outreach activities in communities. WASH activities will be integrated into the health and nutrition activities, e.g. by ensuring availability of hand-washing stations and drinking water supplies in the 2 supported health centres. MdM F and MdM Ge are implementing this project jointly, with MdM F being the lead in the first year and a coordinated handover to MdM Ge during the project period.
Based on the development of the last months, an additional Covid-19 response in Jijiga has been established to respond to the needs in and around the city.
Hierarchical & Functional links
Under the direct supervision of the Field Coordinator Somali region, whereas the technical support and supervision will be provided by Medical Coordinator and technical team in Addis Abeba.
The Project Medical Referent will be the responsible for the provision of technical support for Gerbo project and all other activities in Somali region.
Key activities areas will include:
- Coordinates and provide technical assistance for all activities of Jijiga/Gerbo Project.
- Engage in emergency response in Somali region if needed.
- Capacity needs assessment of the MdM’s medical team and local partners (MoH, OWDA) medical teams in Somali region. Implementation of training for staff according to needs
- Supervise project activities at the field level in coordination with program coordinators.
- Contribute to the annual evaluation of the program coordinators from the technical point of view
- In collaboration with the mission pharmacist, oversee Gerbo Medical warehouse storage, stock management and supply processes, as well as hygiene and security procedures, tools, and protocols (controlling pests and rodents), in order to ensure good storage condition.
- Update and follow a standard list of medical items for the project.
- Follow order needs and monitor medical orders to avoid stock-outs, soon-to-expire or expired drug. Management of medical stock and logistic chain for medical purchase
at Jigjiga level
- Identify new potential risk and develop protective strategies according to the health risk for the staff.
- Follow regular inventory and replenishment of health kits (first aid and emergency).
- Follow staff health and ensure management according to the mission staff health guideline.
- Ensures the effective monitoring and evaluation of Gerbo project according to the mission and donor exigencies
- Report regularly to the Medical Coordinator in Addis Abeba and the Field Coordinator
- Quality checks the data entered on the Monitool by the program coordinators.
- Contribute to proposal development, including monitoring plan and identification of Programme activities.
Networking and representation duties:
- Medical networking and representation at Somali region, at the request of the Field Coordinator
- Attend regional nutrition and health cluster meetings, at the request of the Field Coordinator.
- Assists in coordination of health actions with stakeholders at field
- Identification of the needs and gaps in provision of services with regional government and non-government actors.
- By delegation of the Field Coordinator, represents MdM by liaising with the regional authorities, UN agencies and, international/national organizations
Contract duration: One year with the possibility of extension
- Degree in Public Health, Nursing or Midwifery
- Experience in planning and implementation of MCH/reproductive health and nutrition programmes
- Minimum of 5-year clinical experience in the primary health care services
- Working knowledge of English language is mandatory (speaking and writing) and Somali language is an asset
- At least 3 years of working experience with an international NGO in emergency contexts
- Strong organizational skills in emergency situations and autonomous in daily operations
- Excellent reporting skills
- Good communication skills
- Fully fluent in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Showing flexibility, reactivity, anticipation, adaptability;
- Capacity to work and to live in a remote and isolated area
- Experience/knowledge of the Somali region is a plus
Interested candidates who meet the above criteria are invited to send their application letter including updated curriculum vitae with day-time telephone number and contact details of three work-related referees through firstname.lastname@example.org email. If possible, please send all the above in one document – MS Word or PDF by writing the job title on the subject line.
NB: only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted.