|Location||Debark, Amhara, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||February 22, 2021|
|Category|| Business Development |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Job Description: Project Officer – Marketing & Livelihood Development (SEGORP)
HELVETAS Swiss Intercooperation Ethiopia is a registered charity operating in the working areas of Rural Infrastructure, Natural Resources Management, Support to Civil Society Organizations and Local Government, Skill Development and Education, and Emergency Responses. See also www.helvetas.org.
HELVETAS Ethiopia is presently looking for motivated and competent professionals for the Marketing & Livelihood Development – Project Officer position for a project entitled “Semien Gondor Resilience Project (SEGORP)” in Amhara Regional State-Debark.
HELVETAS Swiss Intercooperation (HELVETAS), Concern Worldwide (CWW) and local government of the North Gondor Zone, have formed a strategic partnership bringing together complementary competencies to address the complex nature of poverty in the zone. The overall aim of the project is to strengthen household and community resilience to climate change. This will be achieved through system level change across the following 4 main outcomes: Improved management of natural resources; Improved household income and market access within and across livelihood zones; Strengthened systems for an improved human condition; & Strengthened institutions for improved governance and accountability.
Role and framework
The Project Officer Markets & Livelihood Development (PO-M&LD) will bring thematic competence in livelihood, value chains and business development activities and will provide technical support for the successful implementation of the SEGORP project in order to achieve the project goals, objectives, outcomes and outputs, thereby adhering to the principles, working approaches, and strategies of HELVETAS. The PO-M&LD will work with project partners, stakeholders and beneficiaries, who are critical for the success of the project. S/he will report to the Project Manager (PM) of SEGORP.
· The PO-M&LD is required to handle the following main tasks; however, tasks can be revised and further specific tasks added, based on the project’s needs and the staff’s profile and performance.
- Technical Role
- Assess the potential of the area and make feasibility studies to assist through market linkage and facilitation role
- Facilitate and implement activities related to value chain development and market system development
- Facilitate cooperative input and output marketing activities.
- Identify and work with private sector actors for sustainable business linkage,
- Restore livelihoods and improve food security for the project beneficiaries through providing farmer group business development trainings,
- Identify and promote environmentally friendly livelihood practices and technology and low-input farming practices such as home-gardening techniques.
- Capacity Building Role
- Organize and facilitate training and workshops for relevant target groups, community committees and other community members and submit related reports in a timely fashion,
- Provide training on “market for the poor” approach for implementing partners and other stakeholders,
- Provide technical support and coaching for woreda technical staff on sustainable livelihood development,
- Support the growth of SHG, linking with MFIs and credit associations,
- Support the women affairs and youth office in provision of business skill training and development.
- Networking and Collaboration
- Maintain proper documentation of the project implementation process and report on outcomes,
- Track the project`s progress and propose changes to the woreda activity plans where appropriate,
- Contribute to the expertise and approaches of HELVETAS in the area of market system development,
- Coordinate and work closely with Senior expert of SIE at programme office.
- Carry out other duties as requested by the project manager.
- Technical Role
· Gender Equity and Diversity
- Design, promote, and/or implements training curricula and capacity building activities that take into account the needs of female youth in terms of training topics, methodologies, timing, location, and other aspects
- Ensure that gender transformative approach considered—and particularly young women’s and girls’ access to information, services, finance, and markets, as well as other aspects of women’s empowerment—are incorporated into all youth assessments and activities
- Promote gender equality within teams, communities and households
- Ensure that reports make explicit reference to approaches used to address unequal gender relations
- Master Degree in business development, , development studies or related discipline.
- Seven years in similar or related assignments in terms of design and execution of value chain or market development
- Experience in capacity building related to value chain / market development;
- Experience coaching and mentoring and Proved facilitation and communication skills
- Relevant experience working within a partnership agreement and/or a network including zonal institutions.
- Experience in facilitating community economic development.
- Understanding and knowledge of the youth enterprise development
- track record in capacity building of local government bodies and community based institutions, knowledge management; and networking; excellent communication, social, interpersonal and team building; very good IT skills (MS office); fluent in English (written and oral) and Amharic; ability to forge and nurture partnerships with the stakeholders; high degree of initiative, integrity and accountability
Terms and conditions for the positions:
- Contract duration: from March 2021 to February 2023 (renewable)
- Duty Station: Debark with frequent travel to project areas
- Salary & Benefits: As per the salary scale of the position and benefit packages for national staff (NPR 2018)
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
Interested and qualified candidates are encouraged to apply by sending their application & updated CV through firstname.lastname@example.org before/on 28th of February 2021.
HELVETAS Swiss Intercooperation Ethiopia is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.
Please make sure you write the position title you are applying for in the subject line. Failure to do so will lead to application disqualify.
Kindly note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.