Protection Associate- Shire
|Date Posted||September 4, 2021|
|Category|| Legal |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
This position is advertised open to internal and external applicants.
Procedures and Eligibility
Interested applicants should consult the Administrative Instruction on Recruitment and Assignment of Locally Recruited Staff (RALS).
Duties and Qualifications
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Protection Associate normally reports to the Protection Officer or the Senior Protection Officer. The incumbent monitors protection standards, operational procedures and practices in protection delivery in line with international standards and provides functional protection support to information management and programme staff.
The Protection Associate is expected to coordinate quality, timely and effective protection responses to the needs of populations of concern (PoC) and identify opportunities to mainstream protection methodologies and integrate protection safeguards in operational responses in all sectors. S/he contributes to designing a comprehensive protection strategy and liaises externally with authorities and partners on protection doctrine and policy as guided by the supervisor.
The Protection Associate also ensures that PoC are involved in making decisions that affect them, whether in accessing their rights or in identifying appropriate solutions to their problems. To achieve this, the incumbent will need to build and maintain effective interfaces with communities of concern, local authorities and protection and assistance partners.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR's core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Stay abreast of political, social, economic and cultural developments that have an impact on the protection environment.
- Consistently apply International and National Law and applicable UN/UNHCR and IASC policy, standards and codes of conduct.
- Assist in providing comments on existing and draft legislation related to PoC.
- Provide advice on protection issues to PoC; liaise with competent authorities to ensure the issuance of personal and other relevant documentation.
- Assist in conducting eligibility and status determination for PoC.
- Contribute to measures to identify, prevent and reduce statelessness.
- Contribute to a country-level child protection plan as part of the protection strategy.
- Contribute to a country-level education plan as part of the protection strategy.
- Monitor Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for all protection/solutions activities.
- Manage individual protection cases including those on GBV and child protection. Monitor, and intervene in cases of refoulement, expulsion and other protection incidents.
- Assist in identifying durable solutions for the largest possible number of PoC through voluntary repatriation, local integration and where appropriate, resettlement.
- Contribute to the design, implementation and evaluation of protection related AGD based programming with implementing and operational partners.
- Facilitate effective information management through the provision of disaggregated data on PoC and their problems.
- Participate in initiatives to capacitate authorities, relevant institutions and NGOs to strengthen national protection related legislation and procedures.
- Assist the supervisor in prioritizing PoC for interview, counselling and propose protection support for individual cases.
- Assist the supervisor with enforcing compliance of local implementing partners with global protection policies and standards of professional integrity in the delivery of protection services.
- Assit the supervisor with enforcing compliance with, and integrity of, all protection standard operating procedures.
- Submit individual payments request for PoC for approval.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Work Type: Regular
Job ID: 29338
Hardship Level: E
Salary Grade: G6
Family Location Type: Non-Family
- Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
- For G6 - 3 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 2 years relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
Field(s) of Education
- Not applicable
Certificates and/or Licenses
- International Law, Political Science or other related field
- (Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
- Protection Learning Programme
- Functional Skills
- IT-Computer Literacy
- CL-Protection & Solutions Awareness
- PR-Protection-related guidelines, standards and indicators
- PR-Refugee Protection Principles and Framework
- (Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
- Organizational Awareness
- Teamwork & Collaboration
- Commitment to Continuous Learning
- Client & Result Orientation
- Managerial Competencies
- Judgement and Decision Making
- Negotiation and Conflict Resolution
- Political Awareness
- Stakeholder Management
- For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
- Competencies as defined in Job Profile
- Knowledge of ''English'' is essential.
- Additional Information
- Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training, or any other fees).
- This position is advertised under a Fast-Track exercise.
- An eliminatory or complementary written test for shortlisted candidates may be conducted which will be followed by competency-based interview.
- Female Candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Interested and qualified applicants can apply through: https://www.unhcr.org/careers.htmlThe closing date for submission of application is Friday, 10 September 2021 (Midnight Ethiopia Time).