|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||October 30, 2019|
|Category|| Social Sciences |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Background of the Organisation: CIAI – CIAI, Italian Association for Aid to Children (CIAI) is an Italian NGO established in Italy in 1968. In Ethiopia CIAI has been first registered in 2003, and has been re-registered under the Agency for CSOs n°1123 of May 14th 2019 (Civil Society Organizations Proclamation n°1113/2019). Since its recognition in Ethiopia, CIAI has been closely working with governmental and non-governmental partners in order to upgrade their capacities to foster the wellbeing of vulnerable and disadvantaged children. In its projects CIAI strives to guarantee the access to quality education and protection services through direct support to children, families, communities and local authorities. CIAI always works in close relation with communities and local authorities to foster ownership and create a sustainable safe and conducive environment for children in the Country. CIAI is currently working in Addis Ababa, Tigray Regional State, Oromia Regional State and Southern Nations, Nationalities and Peoples’ Regional State.
CIAI is a Child safe organization and is committed to the safeguarding and protection of children. The selected candidate will be asked to adhere to CIAI standards and principles, and sign the CIAI Child Safeguarding and Protection Policy and other key policies. During the selection process CIAI will request to provide references and criminal record.
Level of Contact with Children: Medium-high (contact with children and young people when carrying out training, monitoring visits and research).
Sector: Child Protection
ONG: CIAI – Italian Association for Aid to Children
Donor: Department for International Development (DFID), UK
Fund: Girls’ Education Challenge – Leave No Girl Behind (GEC-LNGB)
Project: CHANGE: Improving Access to Education in Ethiopia for Most Marginalized Girls (“CHANGE project”)
Collaboration Starting date: Immediately
Length of contract: 12 months with possibility of extension.
Location: Addis Ababa/Hawassa. Frequent travels in other regions are foreseen.
Background of the Project:
The CHANGE project lasts five years (from November 2018 to October 2023) reaching out-of-school adolescent girls from four selected Ethiopian regions: Afar (Awsi), Oromia (Borana), SNNPR (Gedeo) and Amhara (South Wollo). The project will address the underlying barrier that prevents girls from leading healthy, safe, and educated lives.
Leading Organisation is PIN-People in Need; project partners are CIAI-Italian Association for Aid to Children, CWW-Concern Worldwide, Helvetas Swiss Intercooperation, and Welthungerhilfe.
CIAI is the technical partner in the child protection field.
Summary of the Position:
This is a key position within CIAI Ethiopia, demanding significant experience, professional maturity and balance, creativity, vision and commitment.
The Protection Officer will be responsible for:
- Organizing, planning, leading and coordinating the implementation of activities according to the project document.
- Supporting the consortium to meet the standards regarding safeguarding and child protection.
- Prepare and conduct different training on child protection, gender, and inclusion;
- Support in the development of tool for monitoring standards regarding safeguarding and child protection.
- Liaising and collaborating with the leading Organization and International partners, with local authorities and local partners of the project, in coordination with the Protection Manager.
- Participates in designing, implementing, monitoring and evaluating research activities that include and promote gender equality as well as social inclusion and local community empowerment;
- Preparing periodical reports for local authorities and donor;
- Track and maintain up-to-date project information;
- Design new thematic Concept Notes in coordination with the Protection Manager.
The Protection Officer will interact with other stakeholders such as local authorities, public structures, local leaders and other Organizations working in the areas.
The Protection Officer reports to the Protection Manager in Addis Ababa.
The Protection Officer will work in CIAI Coordination Office in Addis Ababa as well as in Hawassa (PIN office). The project foresees frequent travels to the other regions.
Minimum Qualifications and skills:
- Master in social sciences and/or international cooperation or related field;
- At least five years’ experience in working on child protection projects;
- Overall understanding of Children’s Rights;
- Familiarity with the Project Cycle Management and Logical Framework approach;
- Knowledge and practice of Safeguarding of Children and Vulnerable Adults principles;
- Experience building capabilities within organizations;
- Expertise in developing tools, preparing and conducting training on CP/Gender/Inclusion;
- Experience in Project Reporting and Proposal Writing;
- Excellent inter-personal/communication skills and ability to communicate effectively;
- Experience in community mobilization, knowledge and interest in community empowerment;
- Ability to work independently and take the initiative;
- Ability to adapt in simple contexts and remote locations;
- Strong English and Amharic language skills, both written and spoken;
- Computer literate: knowledge of Microsoft Office Computer Package (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc ) and Internet user;
Other qualifications and skills desired
- Experience working with vulnerable girls;
- Knowledge of gender mainstreaming;
- Ability to communicate in another language (Afan Oromo, Afar language and Gedeofa) will be an advantage;
Qualified and interested Applicants are invited to send their CV (max. 3 pages), cover letter (max. 1 page) including 2 contacts for references to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com mentioning “CHANGE2019” before 04/11/2019. All the documentation must be in English. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.