WARNING: Do not to pay any money to get a job. Please report fraudulent jobs to email@example.com
|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||August 6, 2020|
|Category|| Business Development |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), an international non-governmental organization (NGO), has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. DRC promotes and supports solutions to the problems faced by refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs), and migrants. The organization has offices across the region, and has been operational in Ethiopia since 2009. With funding from bilateral and multilateral donors, DRC is currently implementing a range of activities across Ethiopia and Djibouti, including WASH and shelter provision, child and youth protection, gender based violence response, awareness-raising of migration risks, protection monitoring of migration routes, and livelihoods support for returning migrants or those at-risk of migration.
Overall purpose of the role: (1-2 sentences)
Working under the direct management of the protection Team Leader-Psychosocial, the protection Officer-youth, is responsible to give a substantial contribution to technical guidance and management of the youth empowerment project as required in the project documents and protection programming. Besides, S/he is expected to contribute on capacity building of junior national and refugee staff, beneficiaries, duty-bearers and other stakeholders; Developing, coordinating, and/or conducting awareness-raising, training and dialogue sessions in peacebuilding and conflict management in Gambella refugee camps of Kule and Tierkidi.
Responsibilities: (in bullet points)
- Develop and facilitate youth recreational activities in the youth friendly spaces
- Plan and facilitate capacity building for youth, including training on peace building, leaderships vocational training and life skills
- Involve the youth in youth-led awareness campaigns and initiatives targeting youth
- Supervise and coordinate Social workers, and Role Models
- Develop and ensure compliance with case management standards, SOPs and guidelines
- Conduct assessments and mappings and identify protection needs and vulnerabilities
- Promote mainstreaming of Youth concerns and other protection concerns in all humanitarian interventions
- Estimate quarterly program purchase requests according to the field requirements and submit requests on time
- Monitor supply and logistical needs of project and ensure adherence to all relevant DRC logistics policies, including management of materials in the warehouse
- Ensure that all relevant financial documentation is complete and submitted to finance in a timely manner as required by DRC finance policy
- Manage all youth center facilitators/ Incentive social workers, supporting respectful and positive working relationships which allow for the effective implementation of all DRC Protection activities
- This is to be achieved through leadership, team building, day-to-day support and capacity-building
- Undertake daily supervisory, monitoring and support visits to project locations
- Under the direction of the Protection Team leader, support local level reporting for both internal and donor purposes on all Protection related activities. This will include providing weekly reports to the Monitoring, Evaluation and Documentation Officer
- Carryout any other activities assigned by the protection team leader or organization
Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in protection, preferably with an international humanitarian organization.
- Demonstrated organizational skills and ability to work in complex and difficult circumstances.
- High level of personal initiative, analytical skills and pro-active problem solving.
- Demonstrated people’s management skills. Strong interpersonal skills and ability to develop and maintain working relationships across the organization.
- Be a team player
- Cultural sensitivity, and commitment and understanding of the values of DRC. Good communication skills.
- Commitment to learning and implementing organizational policies and procedures
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
- Extensive proficiency in Microsoft Office package is a must
- A sensitive approach to external representation
Bachelor’s degree in in Education, Social Work, Sociology, Psychology or other relevant field from a recognized institution.
Excellent proficiency in written and spoken Amharic and English. Knowledge of local language is an asset
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: Acting in line with DRC's vision and values
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.dk under Vacancies.
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the stated website no later than August 16, 2020.
For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult www.drc.dk.
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, colour, race, marital status or other protected characteristics
We encourage only qualified Ethiopian Nationals to apply. DRC considers all applicants based on merit.
“Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply”