|Location||Dolo Ado, Somali, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||August 6, 2021|
|Category|| Business Development |
|Job Type|| Contract |
Title: Protection Team Leader
Location: Dollo Ado, Ethiopia ( Dollo Ado Somali Region frequent travel to field sites( Refugee Camps within woredas in Liban zone)
Employment Category: G
Reporting To: Protection Manager
Start of Contract & Duration: Five Months
Posting date: August 3, 2021
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), an international non-governmental organization (NGO), has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. DRC promotes and supports solutions to the problems faced by refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs), and migrants. The organization has offices across the region, and has been operational in Ethiopia since 2009. With funding from bilateral and multilateral donors, DRC is currently implementing a range of activities across Ethiopia and Djibouti, including WASH and shelter provision, child and youth protection, Gender based violence response, awareness-raising of migration risks, protection monitoring of migration routes, and livelihoods support for returning migrants or those at-risk of migration.
OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
The Protection Team Leader will be responsible for leading the protection project in Liban zone, sh/e will be repointing to the programs manager based in Jijiga. The Team leader will lead, Staff capacity building and development, he will also ensure effective capacity building of the local courts, mentoring and follow of the legal service provision by the trained local court members. Protection Team Leader will also be responsible for the day-to-day technical supervision and management of the Protection teams deployed in the field locations to ensure the accuracy and the technical rigor of the activities implemented. The Protection Team Leader will work closely with DRC’s Protection Manager to ensure effective, relevant and holistic protection programming delivering activities in line with protection standards and country office protection strategy. Furthermore, the Protection Team Leader is expected to provide support to the project cycle management, development and consolidation of the program activities reports including 5Ws matrix, monthly reports protection reports and data base, protection incidents registries and protection trend analysis, proposal development and program strategy as well as handle external relationships with stakeholders
- Providing technical guidance to the protection officers to ensure quality and adherence to national and international protection standards and guidelines.
- Develop and deliver protection training for staff and beneficiaries, and local courts on legal and justice system.
- To assessments and mappings, and identify protection needs.
- Support in the development of protection assessment tools.
- Technically guide the implementation intensive and refresher capacity building training for local courts, coordination with ARRA, UNHCR and the community leaders at camp and zonal level.
- Supporting protection programme development, including project design and developing of proposals and program financial commitments through Dynamics( Raising purchase requisition for program items).
General Management and Support:
- Manage and technically supervise the Protection Officers and provide leadership, day-to-day support and guidance. Build the capacity of protection staff through mentoring and training.
- Promote team building and contribute to a respective and positive working environment.
- Plan and oversee the Protection team and protection activities, producing work and activity plans, and coordinating inputs from DRC’s supporting units, particularly logistics and finance.
- In collaboration with the Protection Manager, ensuring implementation of protection activities according to programme commitments.
- Identify training and capacity building opportunities for protection staff and ensure that all protection staff are conversant with protection concepts, DRC's code of conduct, humanitarian principles, accountability, and prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse.
- In coordination with supervisor liaise with governmental officials, international and national organization and site structures on DRC’s behalf.
- Attending and contribute to relevant coordination mechanisms.
- Ensuring appropriate financial reporting on all project activities, in cooperation with the Protection Manager and DRC finance and administration staff.
- Ensure that ethical and statistically-sound data collection and protection-related information management systems are in place and used for analysis, planning, evaluation, and advocacy.
- Compile and provide weekly and monthly reporting on all protection activities, developments in the external context and humanitarian situation, and on project implementation progress. This includes submitting weekly and monthly report to the M&E and to external partners.
- Contribute to donor report and external report developments.
- Provide ongoing general monitoring of the operating context to ensure relevance and accountability to DRC's beneficiary populations.
Maintaining accurate and comprehensive files of project activities, outputs, materials, and other relevant documentation;
Experience and Technical Competencies: (include years of experience)
- Minimum 4 years of experience in an entry to mid level position, with experience in the field of humanitarian response and refugee/IDP protection working for an international NGO, UN agency or relevant ministry or local authority.
- Experience in project and staff management is a requirement
- Hands-on experience with protection monitoring is highly preferable
- Experience working with displaced and/or conflict affected populations, such as refugees or IDP, with a focus on protection (Child Protection and/or SGBV).
- Strong analytical and writing skills, with the ability to produce well-written and succinct written documents for external use.
- Strong planning, organization and problem solving skills with ability to work both independently and within a team in a demanding work environment.
- Integrity, strong work ethic, and ability to consistently meet deadlines under pressure.
- Experience of working in an emergency setting.
- Strong inter personal skills and Staff management skills
- Commitment to learning and implementing organizational policies and procedures.
Education (include certificates, licenses etc.):
- Bachelor degree in social sciences, law, social work, international development, or other relevant field from a recognized institution.
- Full proficiency in Microsoft Office.
Languages: (indicate fluency level)
- Excellent verbal and written proficiency in Amharic, Somali and English
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
- Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: Acting in line with DRC's vision and values
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.ngo under Vacancies.
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the stated website no later than August 13, 2021.
For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult www.drc.ngo
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, colour, race, marital status or other protected characteristics
We encourage only qualified Ethiopian Nationals to apply. DRC considers all applicants based on merit.