|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||June 30, 2021|
|Category|| Communication |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Call for Consultancy Service
Terms of Reference - For Court Reporting Manual Development
CEHRO is a local CSO which was registered on the 16th of March 2018 (re-registered as per 1113/2019 with registration number 3932). CEHRO as a consortium is an umbrella that reaches CSOs to engage, participate in the productive development and realization of democracy and human rights developing in the country. CEHRO is a consortium of 17 CSOs with full membership and 3 with associate membership.
From its establishment, CEHRO has been determined and working for the advancement of human rights protection in Ethiopia by creating a common platform for human rights CSOs to articulate their voices and launch well-articulated and evidence-based advocacy. CEHRO works to expand the space for human rights CSOs and continue engagement with stakeholders’ building the capacity of existing and emerging human rights organizations to ensure effective human rights and democratic governance works. In this respect, CHERO recognizes building the capacity of trial monitoring, documenting and reporting court cases and popularizing the judicial reforms to citizens play vital role to ensure public trust in the reform and maintain judicial integrity in Ethiopia.
CEHRO in collaboration with Feteh (Justice) Activity- USAID is planning to develop a manual on Judicial Reform Communication with the aim of enhancing awareness and understanding of the role and reform of judiciary as well as improving media’s role and capacity for effectively communicating systemic judicial reforms to the public. To this end, CEHRO invites competent consultant/s to contribute to the Manual Development on communicating judicial reform to citizens; and to conduct associated training for CSOs, media professionals and courts’ public relations offices.
The objective of this standardize manual is to build public awareness, expectation and valuation of judicial reforms by enhancing the capacity of media, CSOs and court public information offices to identify and communicate such reforms and an institutional dynamic that improves court news coverage and supports citizens access to justice through human rights advocacy.
Scope of the work
The scope of this call is to develop user friendly judicial reform communication Manual in Amharic language. The manual should cover but not limited to the following topics:
- A Review of the judicial reforms in Ethiopia in general and post 2018 in particular, including the gender and PWDs aspects of the reform;
- Principles and concept of human rights enshrined in international and Ethiopian legal system, particularly fair trial, judicial independence and judicial code of conduct. As well, the Ethiopian judicial reform in line with those principles and concepts;
- Develop model judicial reform communication guidelines drawing from best practice of local and international media and CSOs.
- Media and CSOs andju role and involvement on judicial reform communication;
- A strategy to engage in judicial reform and communicate the same to citizens;
- Method and technique of judicial reform communication;
- Study and connect with pertinent CSOs, Medias and government PIO area of interest and expertise for the development of the manual;
- Prepare PowerPoint and provide trainings on the manual for media (and CSO and government PIO) representatives as per CEHRO’s schedule
- Include inputs and relevant content provided by CEHRO and its partner on the manual.
The consultant is expected to complete this assignment within one months starting from June to July 2021. The exact starting date will be the signing of the agreement. The consultant is expected to deliver overall judicial reform communication manual both in hard copy and soft copy.
Developing a judicial reform communication manual requires a high level technical/professional expertise and proven experiences. The Individual Consultant interested in this work is required to have the following qualifications.
- Master degree in Human Rights Law, Journalism and Communication.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in research or developing judicial reform communication or related manuals.
- Solid experience and extensive knowledge of Ethiopia’s judicial reform, and good knowledge of media and CSO working environment.
- Relevant experience in preparing human rights related or other guiding manuals
- Proven experience of providing training and excellent communication skills.
- Excellent written and spoken skills in Amharic and English. Other local language skills are advantageous.
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of legal, socio-economic, political and cultural context of the CSOs, Media and the Judiciary operating in Ethiopia.
- Relevant experience on editing and evaluating manual relating to this call topic is a plus.
Qualified Female and People with disability applicants are encouraged to respond to this advertisement
Interested and qualified applicants should send the following document to email: firstname.lastname@example.org no later than July 02, 2021.
- Financial proposal
- Technical proposal (outlining the content, methodology and time line to conduct the assignment)
- TIN certificate