|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||April 4, 2020|
|Category|| Facility Management |
|Job Type|| Contract |
- Lead and coordinate activities of the staff of the National REDD+ Secretariat;
- Coordinate national stakeholders and development partners in the implementation of the national REDD+ strategy;
- Help establish and maintain implementation framework for REDD+ (systems for carbon accounting, emissions tracking and registry, carbon transactions and benefit sharing schemes);
- Facilitate dialogue and discussions with development partners for ensuring the continuity of financing (fund mobilization) for the implementation of the national REDD+ strategy;
- Facilitate the coordination of policy development processes on issues related to REDD+, forestry and climate change;
- Put in place the necessary capacity at national and subnational levels for ensuring compliance to international standards with respect to REDD+ safeguards, carbon accounting, emission tracking and MRV;
- Support the design and implementation of capacity building and investment programs related to REDD+ programs for national and subnational actors for ensuring an effective and efficient REDD+ program implementation;
- Provide support in activities and to institutions involved in the design and implementation of the Ethiopian’s REDD+ program;
- Ensure proper engagement and participation of stakeholders on REDD+ processes using its governance structures at various levels;
- Provide secretarial services for recording and documentation of stakeholders meetings, workshops and trainings;
- Support the development of regional emission reduction programs (ERPs) in coordination with the RRCUs;
- Ensure the proper communications and dissemination of information related to Ethiopia’s REDD+ to national and international stakeholders in a transparent manner through appropriate channels (e.g., website);
- Consolidate reports on REDD+ actions at national level, and supports the preparation of international reports on emission reduction from forestry;
- Participate in REDD+ related dialogues, negotiations, conferences, meetings and acts as a national REDD+ focal point;
- Create a mechanism to consolidate and disseminate lessons learned to the national REDD+ program level;
- Coordinate, facilitate, support and monitor the RIP DD being implemented in three regional states;
- Ensure RIP-DD implementation complies with the international REDD+ requirements such as the MRV system, the reference levels, the benefit sharing structure and dispute resolution mechanisms;
- Take responsibility and leadership to initiate, manage, and coordinate various activities, such as activity and budget planning, M&E and preparing periodic reports on RIP-DD implementation and national REDD+ program;
- Organize meetings with the national and regional stakeholders as appropriate;
- Enable and support dissemination of best practices, good results and findings related to REDD+/PFM implementation to stakeholders at the national and sub-national levels, including non-government stakeholders;
- Report periodically to different stakeholders (including government, donors, private sector and civil society) on the progress of the RIP-DD and national REDD+ program as appropriate;
- Provide support to data collection and completion of quarterly and annual reports;
- Supervise RIP team staff at federal and regional levels, including the Safeguards Specialist, National MRV Specialists and Communication Specialist and others;
- Engage with and accomplishes tasks assigned to it by EFCCC, as required.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work.
- Ability to persuade others to follow.
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction.
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform.
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement.
- Master’s or advanced degree in forestry, forest ecology, ecosystem ecology or climate change sciences.
- At least 6 years of relevant working experience in forestry or climate change, and at least 5 years of project management experience in climate change and forestry areas;
- Knowledge and experience in global climate change mitigation and adaptation concepts and practices;
- Experience of implementation of similar projects is an added advantage;
- Knowledge and experience in Ethiopia’s climate, forest sector and natural resource management sector policies and strategies;
- Excellent knowledge of the concepts and issues of REDD+ (Reducing Emissions from Deforestation and Forest Degradation), especially MRV (Measurement, Reporting, Verification) and FRL;
- Demonstrated team leadership qualities including strong managerial and partner or stakeholder engagement skills, particularly on REDD+ programs is desirable;
- Experience with the design, preparation and organization of technical workshops and other national/regional meetings;
- Understanding of REDD+ policies and readiness mechanisms, national forestry policy, natural resource management and conservation, and forest restoration;
- Understanding of the national REDD+ strategies, drivers and implications for designing demonstration activities based on national priorities;
- Project development and management experience (development and implementation of work plans, financial and technical management of contracts, supervision of consultants, liaison with relevant stakeholders, etc.);
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and effectively and deliver quality outputs under pressure and within agreed tight deadlines;
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills in English;
- Demonstrated strong aptitude and ability to communicate both informally (interpersonal skills and networking) and formally (presentations).
- Proven experience in capacity building to a range of different stakeholders including communities and, and government officials;
- Skills to coordinate a group of experts and facilitate discussions with national key stakeholders;
- Ability to manage multi-tasks, uptake new and innovative knowledge, and manage time effectively in a dynamic and fast-paced working environment.
- Demonstrated ability and skills to communicate effectively in English (both oral and in written) and also skills and ability in Amharic and other languages is an advantage).
- Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Contract Duration: 1 year with a possibility of extension