|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||August 22, 2020|
|Category|| Business Development |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Open to Internal & External Candidates
|Position Title||Referral Assistant – Social Cohesion|
|Duty Station||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Type of Appointment||SVN, Six months with possibility of extension|
|Estimated Start Date||As soon as possible|
|Posting Period||19.08.2020 - 02.09.2020|
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, inter-governmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the current circumstance in Ethiopia, currently there is a heavy influx of ex-combatants who will require assistance to reintegrate into communities after long periods in exile. Hence, to secure sustainable and peaceful reintegration of the ex-combatants having returned to their communities IOM along with the Government of Ethiopia is going to implement a Social and Economic Reintegration of ex-combatants and of Conflict Affected Groups in Ethiopia (SERE).
In the social cohesion pillar of this assistance, IOM aims to promote social integration in the communities, IOM will link the beneficiaries to city administration authorities in urban areas and District/Woreda or Kebele administration authorities in rural areas and will collaborate with the Ministry of Peace and its designated structures at the local level (this varies from region to region where in some cases called Peace and Security Office or in others Justice Office) to conduct community dialogue sessions that will promote the equal use of resource allocation (use of land) by ex-combatants. At the same time, IOM and the regional governments will select community outreach officers and will co-ordinate awareness raising campaigns with the intention of reducing stigma against the ex-combatants in the return communities and to increase the level of social inclusion for the beneficiaries. The activities on community dialogue and awareness raising programme will contribute to increase social cohesion thereby creating receptive environments conductive to return and to successfully reintegrate the ex-combatants.
The IOM Office in Ethiopia will recruit a Referral Assistant – Social Cohesion, whose responsibilities are listed below.
Under the overall supervision of the EPC Coordinator, direct supervision of the SERE Project Coordinator in the IOM Office in Addis Ababa, and in close coordination with the Area Team Leader and Head of Sub-office concerned, the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for the day to day implementation of Social cohesion activities of the project.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Identify, document, follow up locations where large number of ex-combatants concentrate in the region and whereby social cohesion interventions are required.
2. Identify and assess vulnerable host communities with high return of ex-combatants
3. Organize community-level inclusive cultural activities including awareness campaigns to reduce stigma and discrimination against ex-combatants
4. Identify and package training, material and technical assistance needs of ex-combatants and receiving communities to facilitate community dialogue.
5. In collaboration with regional project officer, admin and finance assistant and procurement and logistic assistance, plan, facilitate and lead the procurement, monitoring and distribution/provision of kits required to facilitate community dialogues.
6. Organize and deliver appropriate capacity building and technical skill development trainings in collaboration with regional/zonal or woreda level relevant government institutions to sustain the community dialogue.
7. Carry out regular field visits to provide on-site support, guidance and mentorship to ex-combatants and their communities
8. Collaborate with M&E Assistant and the project team to periodically collect, analyse and report on beneficiaries’ progress on social reintegration
9. Coordinate with the IOM field office’s finance and admin team and relevant partner to track and document progress, challenges and lessons
10. Develop and put in place appropriate templates and tools required to collect data to inform and facilitate smooth and regular sharing of information with partners, stakeholders, project team and donors.
11. Collaborate with project staff, partners and local authorities and service providers to identify vulnerable groups to promote their active participation in community dialogue and local initiatives.
12. Collect and analyse relevant information and provide regular update to the regional project officer and the Project Coordination mechanisms including on progress, challenges and achievements and lessons.
13. In collaboration with referral assistants for reinsertion, medical and psychosocial assistance, self-employment and community cohesion, identify opportunities for enhancing efficient use of resources for both adequate standard of living as well as self-reliance.
14. Provide regular technical assistance and support on business start-up, and mental health and psychosocial service for ex-combatants in coordination with the SERE team.
15. Prepare, compile and/or review monthly, quarterly and/or annual internal and external project reports.
16. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in Community Development, Rural Development, Sociology, Social Anthropology, Cultural Studies and Humanities or related field from an accredited academic institution
- University degree in the above fields with five years of relevant professional experience.
- Proven experience with community-based approach on social change and development as well as solid experience on planning and implementation of similar interventions.
- Substantial experience in the community mobilization and facilitation of community dialogue and community initiatives and experience on Community Conversation, Asset Based Community Development Approach etc.
- Sound knowledge of development programme planning and implementation objectives.
- Excellent use of Microsoft Excel, Access, Outlook and Word software.
- Ability to prepare clear and concise reports.
- Fluency in English and Amharic (oral and written).
- Working knowledge of other Ethiopian local languages is an advantage
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies;
Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application/ motivation letter enclosed with only detail CV written in English via our e-mail address RECADDIS@IOM.INT, by Sep 02, 2020 at the latest, referring the position title and Vacancy number in the subject line of your email; no photocopies of educational/training certificates is required at this stage; applicant who doesn`t follow the required application procedure will automatically be disqualified from the competition.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
We strongly encourage qualified women to apply!