|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||March 10, 2022|
|Category|| NGO |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Volunteer advisory services
- Provide substantive technical orientation on volunteerism and contribute to its integration into the UN system (including the UNDP Regional Service Centre for Africa) and governmental and non- governmental organizations in the region through evidence-based information using adequate and innovative data collection solutions;
- Under the guidance of the Chief and Integrations Team Policy Specialist of VASS and in close collaboration with the Regional Offices and close consultation with the Director and relevant RSCA teams, carry out regional and sub-regional consultations and develop focused intelligence to identify main priorities and needs;
- Undertake analyses and contribute to country level interagency work to integrate volunteerism into the UN Common Country Analysis and United Nations Sustainable Development Frameworks;
- Analyze accurate, reliable and coherent inputs, both qualitative and quantitative, support decision making processes and promote volunteerism with UN Agencies, inter-governmental bodies, civil society organizations, donors and national counterparts;
- Support the Regional Office Managers’ efforts to scope possible advisory engagements with regional and national clients and articulate strategic and thoroughly documented proposals in close coordination within VASS;
- Contribute to UN Reform related mechanisms by providing Regional Managers with substantive technical support for consideration and integration into the Peer Support Group´s analytical work within the framework of their support to UNCT´s planning work for country analyses and UN Cooperation Frameworks;
- Liaise and engage with the Field Units, in close coordination with the Regional Offices, for guidance, monitoring and technical guidance in the identification and shaping of opportunities for volunteerism integration.
Coordination and monitoring for integration
- Based on direct knowledge and understanding of the region covered, interact closely with UNV´s organizational units to ensure quality synergies and coordinated service offer for volunteerism engagement;
- Monitor the emerging, existing, and evolving socio-economic and political context in the region to enable adequate and focused response for UNV’s support;
- Proactively seek involvement with local communities through joint local initiatives for sensitizing and capacity building on volunteerism and its integration in development
Advocacy and partnerships building
- Actively promote and advocate for UNV’s contributions to development showcasing volunteerism as a key vehicle for SDG implementation;
- Support the development of sustainable partnerships at the regional level with the UNRCO, UN agencies, government entities, regional organizations, economic commissions, private sector, foundations, civil society, volunteer involving organizations and donors to increase the mobilization of UN Volunteers, and the integration of volunteerism into development planning;
- In close coordination with the UNDP Regional Service Centre for Africa, support the integration of volunteerism into the mutual agendas of UNV and UNDP in the region;
- Participate in fora and special events with technical presentations and consolidating feedback from different communities of interest.
Knowledge management and dissemination
- Identify and document key lessons derived from evidence monitoring on volunteerism for wider dissemination and utilization in advancing partnerships and capacity investments. Select inputs for shaping policies, tools and mechanisms for improved performance;
- Contribute to UNV’s research and knowledge assets, including the UNV Knowledge Portal related to volunteerism to provide credibility and legitimacy in UNV’s convening role among volunteer involving organizations;
- Participate in and contribute to regional communities of practice and other knowledge management mechanisms to actively promote exchange of experiences and good practices on volunteerism.
Achieve Results: Set and align challenging, achievable objectives for multiple projects, have lasting impact
Think Innovatively: Proactively mitigate potential risks, develop new ideas to solve complex problems
Learn Continuously: Create and act on opportunities to expand horizons, diversify experiences
Adapt with Agility: Proactively initiate and champion change, manage multiple competing demands
Act with Determination : Think beyond immediate task/barriers and take action to achieve greater results
Engage and Partner: Political savvy, navigate complex landscape, champion inter-agency collaboration
Enable Diversity and Inclusion: Appreciate benefits of diverse workforce and champion inclusivity
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies
Ability to manage programmes and projects with a focus at improved performance and demonstrable results
Ability to build and maintain partnerships with wide networks of stakeholders, Governments, civil society and private sector partners, experts and others in line with UNDP strategy and policies
Working with Evidence and Data: Ability to inspect, cleanse, transform and model data with the goal of discovering useful information, informing conclusions and supporting decision-making
Knowledge Generation: Ability to research and turn information into useful knowledge, relevant for context, or responsive to a stated need
Negotiation and Influence: Ability to reach an understanding, persuade others, resolve points of difference, gain advantage in the outcome of dialogue, negotiates mutually acceptable solutions through compromise and creates win-win situations
Integration within the UN: Ability to identify, and integrate capacity and assets of the UN system, and engage in joint work; knowledge of the UN System and ability to apply this knowledge to strategic and/or practical situations
SDG Integration: SDG Monitoring and Reporting
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
Education: Master’s degree or equivalent in social sciences, planning and programme development, or a related field.
Experience, Knowledge and Skills
- 5 years of relevant work experience at national or international level in programme development and management;
- Knowledge of and experience in volunteerism preferably in a development setting is highly desirable;
- Experience in the UN system or other international organizations is an asset.
- Fluency in English.
- Proficiency in another official UN language is an asset, especially French.
- Good understanding of and commitment to volunteerism and volunteer action and familiarity with civil society organizations at both international and national levels.