|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||July 13, 2022|
Results for Development (R4D) is a leading non-profit global development partner. We collaborate with change agents around the world — government officials, civil society leaders and social innovators — to create strong systems that support healthy, educated people. We help our partners move from knowing their goal to knowing how to reach it. We combine global expertise in health, education and nutrition with analytic rigor, practical support for decision-making and implementation and access to peer problem-solving networks. Together with our partners, we build self-sustaining systems that serve everyone and deliver lasting results. Then we share what we learn so others can achieve results for development, too.
We have a unique and vibrant culture at R4D. Diversity, equity and inclusion are at the heart of our work environment and help advance our mission. Diversity—of ideas, identities, perspectives and backgrounds—is vital to who we are and what we do. We seek people who embrace these values and will help reinforce them. Our work culture is collaborative, creative and entrepreneurial. We operate based on trust and respect. Teams across the organization frequently collaborate on programmatic work and support each other in continuously building a better R4D.
The Health Systems Strengthening Accelerator (Accelerator) is a global initiative funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), with co-funding from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (the foundation). Its goal is to support countries’ efforts to create high-performing, sustainable health systems on their journeys to self-reliance. The Accelerator partners with countries to address specific health system issues while institutionalizing country-driven processes for the selection, rapid testing, and purposeful scale-up of health system strengthening interventions. The Accelerator is led by R4D with support from Health Strategy and Delivery Foundation (HSDF, headquartered in Nigeria), ICF, and a growing number of global, regional, and local partner organizations.
The Inclusive Development (ID) Hub of USAID’s Bureau for Development, Democracy, and Innovation (DDI) has partnered with the Accelerator to support the Federal Ministry of Health of Ethiopia (MOH) to integrate rehabilitation throughout the health system and improve access to comprehensive rehabilitation services that meet the needs of the Ethiopian population. Accelerator support will entail direct technical assistance in addition to regional and global level activities to catalyze country-level work.
R4D is seeking a Rehabilitation Integration Consultant to conduct a desk review and landscape analysis to provide evidence and recommendations for the development of rehabilitation service integration into primary health care (PHC) in Ethiopia. The Consultant will directly engage and provide technical and analytical support to the relevant directorates at the MOH (and other rehabilitation stakeholders in Ethiopia) and the Accelerator team. The Consultant must be based in Addis Ababa and will directly report to R4D’s Senior Program Officer based in Addis Ababa but will indirectly report to and routinely engage with the MOH. This consultancy is anticipated to start immediately and last for approximately three (3) to six (6) months.
The Consultant is expected to work in close partnership with the Accelerator team and collaboratively alongside MOH and other rehabilitation stakeholders in Ethiopia to conduct the following activities:
Consultant Role and Responsibilities
- Conduct desk review on experiences with rehabilitation service integration at the national level and develop a brief report with findings and recommendations for service package integration and service modalities
- Develop a methodology to identify current rehabilitation services in PHC, including existing practices, gaps, and barriers in Ethiopia
- Develop an assessment tool for data collection at the site level and conduct the assessment
- Formulate draft landscape analysis report and present it to the MOH, Accelerator, and Technical Working Group (TWG) and incorporate the feedback in the report
- In collaboration with the Accelerator team, advise the relevant MOH teams on opportunities (mechanisms or approaches) for integrating rehabilitation services into the health system at the primary care level to improve service provision (including considerations about feasibility of implementation)
- Facilitate consultative meetings and workshops with the TWG, MOH teams, and relevant stakeholders to address and incorporate their comments and feedback into report
- Provide updates to the Accelerator team, as well as the MOH and other relevant government agencies, health facilities, and technical partners as necessary
- Other responsibilities as agreed upon with the Accelerator team
- A post-graduate degree with a minimum of 10 years of working experience at a policy and strategic level related to PHC, rehabilitation, disability, or related field
- Good understanding of health systems and governance in Ethiopia
- Thorough knowledge of challenges related to integration of priority programs in health systems at country, regional and/or global level
- Knowledge of the main normative and political initiatives at the global level that provide evidence and guidance of integrating rehabilitation into health systems, particularly at the primary care level preferred
- Good understanding of health systems strengthening concepts and country-level initiatives, especially as they relate to the control and management of non-communicable disease and the intersection of health systems with disability and related sectors
- Proven track record of producing high quality policy analysis or recommendations at the country level. Short-listed candidates will be asked to provide samples of such work
- Ability to work in a flexible team environment and across different time zones
Interested applicants should submit a summary of their qualifications and relevant experience (CV) and a cover letter including their average availability per week (in terms of number of days) over the next 3-6 months. The team will contact candidates with any additional questions or requests for information.
Results for Development is an EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled/Affirmative Action Employer committed to fostering
and nurturing an energetic, collaborative and diverse workforce. R4D provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits.