|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||April 12, 2022|
|Category|| NGO |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Norwegian Church Aid (NCA) is a non-profit organization working in 24 countries worldwide to eradicate poverty. In Ethiopia, we have been operating since 1974, engaged in short term emergency response and long-term development programs.
Our intervention in Ethiopia focuses on GBV/SRH, Climate Resilient Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene; Gender-Based Violence; Peace building; Faith-Based Climate Action; and Humanitarian Emergency Responses.
We are currently operating in eight regions: Tigray, Amhara, Oromia, Somali, Gambella, Southern Nations Nationalities and People’s State, Sidama, and at the Federal level. To achieve our development goals, we work with faith based and non-faith-based actors that have demonstrated strong grassroots reach and influence in the society.
We are a member of the ACT Alliance, a coalition of organizations working together in over 140 countries to create positive and sustainable change in people’s lives.
NCA/E would like to invite interested and qualified applicants for the following position.
NCA Ethiopia is seeking Renewable Energy and Greening program Coordinator who will be responsible to provide technical support to the NCA’s Climate Resilience program in general, and the waste for value (W4V) and greening projects under the Faith-Based Climate Action (FBCA) and Climate Smart Economic Empowerment (CSEE) strategic initiatives. The NCA funded FBCA and CSEE projects are implemented in Amhara, Oromia and Gambella regions in collaboration with NCA’s core and resource Partners. The position holder’s role will be to coordinate and follow up the day-to-day activities of the program and provide advice and technical backup in areas of greening/green jobs, circular economy, renewable energy solutions as well as alternative livelihood and economic income opportunities. The position holder will also provide support to NCA’s implementing partners, monitor and follow up Renewable energy and greening project activities against technical requirements, including developing appropriate tools for the target demographic areas. Moreover, she/he will support the CRP Head in ensuring that the project grants refer to technical standards and consider government and donor requirements. The position holder will also be responsible to follow up with accountability to respond to feedback from areas of implementation to strengthen the renewable energy, greening and circular economy approaches. The Renewable energy and Greening Program Advisor works closely with the CRP Head in project management and fundraising efforts, compliance to grant requirements. She/he is also required to closely work with other program heads, implementing partners and other NCA staffs
- Provides required technical support in planning, designing, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of climate resilience, greening, renewable energy, waste for value and circular economy project activities.
- Manage the CSEE and FBCA related project activities with special focus on W4V, Greening and Renewable energy project activities in NCA operational areas.
- Provide support (technical backup) to our implementing partners at field and head office level.
- Monitor and follow up the mentioned projects against technical requirements and financial utilization against donor requirements.
- Develop appropriate assessment, monitoring, evaluation and related tools for climate resilience, greening, renewable energy, waste for value and circular economy projects with special emphasis to the target demographic areas.
- Support the CRP Head in ensuring the projects refer to technical standards and consider donor and government requirements.
- Follow up with accountability to respond to feedback from areas of implementation to strengthen the renewable energy, greening and circular economy approaches.
- Ensure technical quality and timeliness of other Climate resilience programs (FBCA and CSEE) as required.
- Engage in setting baseline information and Support NCA’s partners in preparing and reviewing climate resilience, greening, renewable energy, waste for value and circular economy projects results frameworks.
- Track progress of climate resilience, greening, renewable energy, waste for value and circular economy projects’ activities, outputs and procedures and compile periodic reports to the donors.
- Support partners in preparation of monthly progress reports (both financial and activity) and compile them on monthly, quarterly, half year and annual basis.
- Support the CRP Head and cooperate with other program staff in ensuring good integration with other program/thematic areas of NCA – Ethiopia.
- At her/his level, coordinate with other organizations including through participation in relevant GO – NGO forums and networks/clusters.
- Represents NCA at relevant taskforce meetings as required.
- Oversee the implementation of the program activities as per the donor and government standards and to the required technical/professional principles.
- Coordinate with development and private sector actors to identify sustainable and renewable energy sources to reduce GHG emissions and enhance office energy security.
- Do other additional assignments related to the climate resilience program as required by the immediate supervisor
Area of Specialization: Climate Resilience program with priorities on Climate smart economic empowerment, Green Jobs, Circular economy and alternative livelihoods sectors, and Environmental engineering/ Renewable energy solutions
Reporting to: Climate Resilience Program Head
Duty Station: Addis Ababa with frequent travel to project sites
Length of Contract: One Year (with possibility of extension)
- MSc/BSc in Environmental engineering, Renewable Energy (Solar Energy Solutions etc.), Power engineering, Circular Economy, Agricultural Economics, or related fields; from a recognized university.
- Minimum of 5/7 years of relevant experience in managing integrated programs like circular economy, climate smart economic empowerment, value chain development, renewable energy solutions and related projects preferably in I/NGOs environment.
- Demonstrated project management skills including for planning, organisation, and supervision.
- Understanding of the global and national circular economy and green jobs, renewable energy and climate change, environmental protection and energy sector challenges, key response mechanisms and working with forums/networks.
- Experience with donor compliance and from working with local partners and authorities.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Excellent communication skills including proficiency in English, written and oral.
- Able to team-up with staff and work both independently.
- Able to maintain motivation of self and others.
- Strong personal integrity and commitment to accountability.
- Excellent computer basic skills, especially MS-Office and some software like ArcGIS.
- Knowledge of renewable energy solutions, circular economy and green jobs and their link with climate resilience programming.