|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||April 6, 2022|
|Category|| NGO |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
The Position: The International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas (ICARDA) under the International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to hire a Research Officer II – Small Ruminant Nutritionist who will work closely with a Senior Small Ruminant Nutritionist in the ongoing nutrition activities conducted by ICARDA in Ethiopia. Research activities in which the research associate will be involved are mostly related to innovation and delivery around small ruminant feed and feed management research in the ONE CGIAR initiatives in which ICARDA is involved.
General: The International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas (ICARDA) is an international autonomous, non-profit, research organization temporarily based in Beirut, Lebanon supported by the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR). ICARDA is committed to the improvement of livelihoods of the resource-poor in dry areas by enhancing food security and alleviating poverty through agricultural research, and the equitable use of natural resources. For more details: www.icarda.org
- Leads field research activities related to small ruminant feeding strategies and feed sources with a high degree of autonomy;
- Establishes collaboration among partners and researchers for joint data collection and analysis;
- Conducts literature review on livestock feed related subjects with special focus on alternative and indigenous feed resources;
- Prepares research papers, guidelines, tools, briefs and scientific presentations and prepares technical reports;
- Leads capacity development activities and prepares training materials and other documentation, as required;
- Ensures quality technical reporting that includes preparation and timely submission of progress and annual technical reports;
- Conducts data analysis using appropriate statistical and econometric software;
- Coordinates stakeholder workshops, including consultative, planning and reviews workshops;
- Performs other duties as assigned by the supervisors.
- MSc in Animal Nutrition from a highly recognized university, preferably with focus on small ruminant nutrition
- Broad / specialized knowledge of methods, techniques and processes
- Practical experience in nutritional laboratory analysis will be an added advantage.
- Practical and working knowledge of ration formation will be an added advantage.
- At least 5 years relevant experience in developing countries,
- Experience in publishing in peer-reviewed journals,
- Knowledge of the software used in agricultural research analysis (SAS, SPSS, Stata, R),
- Experience in conducting surveys, focus groups discussion (FGD’s), managing, analyzing, and interpreting data,
- Knowledge in preparation, and delivering scientific technical reports, policy briefs, and ISI journal articles,
- Excellent written and verbal communication in English.
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Position level: HG 14
Minimum Base salary:
- Birr 41,571 per month (Negotiable depending on salary history of the candidate)
Terms of appointment: This is a National Staff (NS) position with the Initial appointment of two years renewable appointment based on performance and funding availability. The ILRI remuneration package for nationally recruited staff in Ethiopia includes very competitive salary and benefits such as life and medical insurance, offshore pension plan, etc. The ILRI campus is set in a secure, attractive campus with dining and sports facilities that are located on site.