|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||April 30, 2020|
|Category|| Business Administration |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Plan International is an independent nn-profit organization that advances children’s well-being and equality for girls. Working in building powerful partnerships for children for over 75 years and present in 70 countries, Plan International strives for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children while working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners. Plan International Ethiopia is looking for Risk Communication and Community Engagement Branch Advisor for Country Office who will be reporting to the Operations Section Chief- DRMC with a matrix management- Humanitarian Director.
Dimensions of the Role
The post holder is responsible liaising and consulting widely with all government and INGOs on the development and implementation of national risk communication and community engagement on COVID-19 strategy and plan. And s/he has a big role in maintain regular linkages and communication with EOC Pilar 2 at strategic level and problem solving. The Risk communication and community engagement branch coordinator is also expected to establish a solid and inclusive system of coordination on community awareness with all actors (UN NGO private sector and national comms actors) in Addis and in the regions.
- Co-lead RCCE under pillar-1, coordinate meetings and provide technical support.
- Conduct rapid behaviour assessments to understand key target audience, perceptions, concerns, influencers and preferred communication channels by different groups (based on age, gender, disability);
- With FMoH, lead the development/adaptation and implementation of the national risk-communication and community engagement COVID-19 strategy and plan;
- Maintain regular linkages and communication w the EOC Pilar 2 (at strategic level and problem solving) in view of avoiding duplications and identify gaps.
- Establish a solid and inclusive system of coordination on community awareness w all actors (UN NGO private sector and national comms actors) in Addis and in the regions
- Provide regular updates on requirements (perhaps in the form of a table) that can be share w all potential donors upon request
- Prepare accurate, culturally and gender appropriate messages and pre-test through a participatory process, specifically targeting key stakeholders and at-risk groups, ensuring in particular women’s and children’s participation;
- Identify and map stakeholders and partners, trusted community groups and preferred communication channels;
- Work with key influencers, community groups, women and youth groups, health workers and community volunteers to build their capacity for awareness raising and promoting healthy practices through participatory interventions;
- Engage with the existing community networks, media, NGOs, schools, traditional and community structures; and other relevant platforms to broadcast messaging and information on COVID-19;
- Coordinate with authorities to track and respond to misinformation and ensure women, children and their families know how to prevent COVID 19 and seek assistance;
- Support handwashing and safe sanitation campaigns in public facilities including schools, health facilities, child-friendly spaces and public spaces to improve preventive practices among children, at-risk groups, and the general public. Ensure that schools, churches, mosques and holy water sites are targeted;
- Any other related duties required by the supervisor.
- Broadcast COVID-19 prevention and control messages through local media channels (TVs, Radio) Maintain the deployment of two C4D specialists (health) at national PHEOC to lead and coordinate the RCCE component.
- Ensures that Plan International’s global policies for Child Protection (CPP) and Gender Equality and Inclusion (GEI) are fully embedded in accordance with the principles and requirements of the policy including relevant Implementation Standards and Guidelines as applicable to their area of responsibility. This includes, but is not limited to, ensuring staff and associates are aware of and understand their responsibilities under these policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), their relevance to their area of work, and that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.
Technical expertise, skills and knowledge
- B.A/MA Degree in Communication, sociology and related fields ,
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in risk communication, community engagement & mobilization or a related field
- Understanding of the principle behind social media, and their potential to deliver interactive communications;
- Knowledge of humanitarian principles, and good understanding about humanitarian coordination mechanism
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and facilitation skills
- Awareness of child protection and safeguarding issues
- Ability to work under pressure, prioritizing to meet tight deadlines.
- Have valid legal document to operate as a consultant
The closing date for the application is May 09, 2020. Qualified candidates should submit the application form found with this link http://docs.ethiojobs.net/Plan_Int_Application_Form.docx through www.Ethiojobs.net
This position is only open to Ethiopian Nationals, who must be eligible to live and work in Ethiopia.
References will be taken and background and anti-terrorism checks will be carried out in conformity with Plans Child Protection Policy. Plan operates an equal opportunities policy and actively encourages diversity, welcoming applications from all persons meeting the skills and experience required.
As an international child centered community development organisation, Plan International is fully committed to promoting the realization of children's rights including their right to protection from violence and abuse. That means we have particular responsibilities to children that we come into contact with.