|Location||East and Southern Africa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||October 9, 2021|
|Category|| Security |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Responsible for assisting designated country offices (CO’s) within assigned portfolio in the implementation ChildFund’s Safety and Security protocols and procedures relating to staff, program, asset safety and security. Advisor serves as the primary resource for security issues within the assigned region. This will include but will not be limited to promoting staff safety and security awareness, responsible business approaches, planning, preparedness, and implementation of security management plans in support of country operations.
Remain alert and responsive to any child safeguarding risks, acquire relevant knowledge and skills which will enable you to promote strong safeguarding practices, understand the child safeguarding policy and procedures, and conduct yourself in a manner consistent with the Child Safeguarding Policy. This will be imperative at times when children and youth participate in any advocacy activities.
Safety and Security
- Lead Country Senior Management Teams (SMTs) in assigned portfolio to develop a contextual understanding of the areas of operation (i.e., security trends and issues, analysis) to create (and update annually) Country Safety and Security Plans.
- Act as technical supervisor of all security appointments, including emergency roster security deployments within the region and provides consistent guidance based on current security policy and procedures to ensure uniformity of practice across all countries.
- Provide technical advice to all ChildFund entities and staff based in Country and regional office on all policies, procedures, guidelines and planning for staff safety, operational security, and program continuity.
- Monitors & supports Country Offices compliance with global and/or regional security, policy, procedures, and guidelines.
- Conduct Program Risk Assessment in all geographies of operation.
- Conduct risk assessments of contracted and prospective offices and residences in application with MORSS standard. Follow up on actions to be taken to ensure compliance with safety and security standards.
- Advise Country Offices on safety and security logistics and item procurement and monitor CO’s to ensure the right equipment is provided to perform their functions in a safe and secure way.
- Develop safety and security plans, protocols, and operating procedures for each country office within assigned region, including monitoring compliance in collaboration with Country Director.
- Critical Incidents
- Support Country Offices Critical Incident Plan and train for potential critical safety and security incidents that may occur within their operating environment.
- Assist in the creation of Incident and Crisis Management team in each Country office.
- Provide technical advice and physical support during a critical incident response at CO.
Communications and Networking
- Have regular (monthly) check in calls with Country Leadership Teams / CD and the Director of security, including detailed quarter updates on CO Risk status and related AOP goals.
- Ensure timely and effective communication channels are established and maintained between all country security appointments and/or CDs, especially in emergency situations.
- Develop directly, and help countries to produce/procure, briefings and advisories for security events, situations and or general safety tips to ensure compliance with Childfund MOSS and the maintenance of security best practices.
- Maintain good working relations with external agencies including governmental and international agencies within the region, including security networks with INGO/UN and other security advisors in the region.
Capacity Building / Training:
- Develop and manage all security-related training programs for assigned region.
- Mentor and build capacity of all Security Point of Contact (SPoC) throughout the region directly/through their line managers/Country Directors (CDs).
- Working closely with GHR oversee the development of database or records of staff security training and liaising with CO teams to ensure adequate planning and provision is made to meet this MOSS requirement.
ChildFund International is committed to staff safety and security and the rights, and well-being of all our staff. ChildFund is committed to upholding our ethics and values and fulfilling our duty of care commitments to all staff and the children with whom it is in contact and to conducting its programs and operations in a manner that is safe.
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
Div/Dept: Global Operations
Location: Host Country – East and Southern Africa
Reporting Relationship: Director, Global Safety and Security
- Minimum of 5-7 years of direct experience in security management, information collection, analysis, investigations, assessments, and reporting.
- Providing support to humanitarian or development organizations in establishing and supporting safety and security programs.
- Bachelor’s degree with specialist training in safety and security such as NGO security, public safety, military or police training. Education qualification may be relaxed against demonstrated operational experience of candidate.
- English language required.
- Must be computer literate.