|Date Posted||June 21, 2021|
|Category|| Health Care / Medical |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
The International Rescue Committee, one of the world’s largest humanitarian international NGOs, provides relief, rehabilitation and development support to vulnerable people and communities over 30 countries. We began work in Ethiopia in 2000 in response to severe drought in Ethiopia’s Somali region and are currently providing assistance to Ethiopians and refugees in six regions in Ethiopia, implementing emergency and development programs in health, water and sanitation, economic recovery and development (ERD), women’s protection and empowerment, education, child protection, and multi-sectoral emergency response.
Scope of work/Job purpose:
In coordination with other teams and partners working in the project area, Position holder is encouraged to manage activities, budget and staffs assigned for sanitation and hygiene promotion activities for which he/she assigned. The SHP officer encouraged to participate in different project cycles assessment, planning, implementation, and supervising for effective technique of project activities. She/he/has encouraged to play leading role in mentoring coaching and leadership of environmental health workers at operational area.
Detailed responsibilities and tasks:
- Coordinate with Senior Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion Manager in design and implementation of quantitative and qualitative assessment including KPC and formative research to identify risky hygiene behaviors and prioritize current barriers to behavior change.
- Actively participate in design appropriate BCC/communications strategy to promote safe hygiene practices for all camps & IDP site.
- In cooperation with SHP Officers, design and plan activities to reduce health risks, with reference to both physical and behavioral aspects.
- Take the lead to organize and write event reports for special hygiene promotion events across Shire camps such as world hand washing day, world water day and world toilet day.
- Ensure that WASH programs adhere to appropriate guidelines and follow the priorities set by the NG, Ministry of Public Health to ensure that all Hygiene Promotion activities are consistent with established standard methodologies.
- Ensure that context specific IEC/BCC materials are always available for each camp sanitation and hygiene promoters and the proper use of the materials during all hygiene promotion activities.
- Work closely and coordinate with IRC supply chain, finance and grant staff to ensure timely and compliant program activities and expenditures; including active participation in procurement, supply chain, grant and other meetings and ensuring timely and consistent spending tracking and budget management.
- Ensure that active community mobilization and participation in both water and hygiene sanitation community action plan was shown by using different community approaches and networking system
- Ensure the required supply of goods, IEC/BCC materials, consumables used for community discussions are provided or delivered for each camp & IDP sits on timely bases
- Identify support and training needs of hygiene promotion team and ensure the gap is addressed with support from Addis based Senior HP Manager.
- Support SHP Officers to ensure that hygiene promotion activities are implemented on time and with good quality.
- Assist in drafting of concept papers/ proposals and budgets for future interventions.
- Design and manage a plan to monitor activities, outputs and impact and adapt the program as needed.
- Design and manage periodic studies (internal) to measure progress and the health impact of the WASH intervention.
- Coordinate assessments, plans, and activities with other agencies (governmental and non-governmental), as necessary
- Ensure design and establishment of data collection, monitoring tools and management systems to promote improved and effective data management, storage and analysis for SHP projects of Shire camps;
- Provide regular and reliable narrative and financial reports, as necessary.
- Work together with SHP Officers to ensure that the various aspects of the WASH response are integrated, and that they form part of a coherent public health response.
- Conduct regular project review meetings with SHP staff to assess the level of achievement of project targets for the existing grants.
- Organize periodic program review meeting with community representatives (RCCs, Association leaders and specific community groups) to get beneficiary feedback to improve program quality.
- Visit all camps regularly and provide on-site mentoring and coaching to SHP staff.
- Oversee the timely preparation and submission of field reports to Addis.
- In collaboration with SHP officers, and Assistants, produce monthly reports of the SHP activities
- Participate in recruitment, training, and manage Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion team
- Plan and manage the Hygiene Promotion budget, and control/authorize expenditure.
- Manage day-to-day logistics, administration, and personnel activities (including any local, contracted personnel/daily labor) in accordance with national law and organizational guidelines and provide ongoing technical and managerial support for each unit (Supply chain, Finance and HR)
- Lead, mentor and capacitate a team of SHP Officers, SHP Assistants and EHAs.
- Ensure timely performance review of sanitation and hygiene promotion staffs in Shire camps.
- Identify and ensure the provision of relevant and appropriate trainings for staff, partners and beneficiaries to enable them to practice safe hygiene behaviors
- Conduct monthly BVA reviews and make necessary recommendations to the finance and supply chain units.
- Ensure that budgets are spent according to program plan. Prepare budget tracking format and closely follow each grant budget for timely completion by avoid underspent and overspent of grants.
- Work closely with the Finance Staff to ensure proper financial management of the grants
- Ensure projects deliverables and activities are of high quality, meet humanitarian standards, mainstream protection, align with IRC's Outcomes and Evidence Framework, and respond to community and monitoring feedback
- Use participatory approaches as a far as possible throughout the program cycle, in training, and in the use of toolkits and other materials.
- Ensure that Hygiene Promotion activities and resources are implemented and handed over or ended in a way that promotes local capacities and sustainable operations.
- Ensure that gender, protection, MHM, the environment, and other important cross-cutting concerns are taken into account in program design, implementation, and reporting; ensure that activities reflect the needs of specific groups and individuals e.g. elderly people, children, and people with disabilities.
- Build capacity of hygiene team to identify needs, identify suitable activities and indicators, and plan projects
- Build capacity of hygiene team to implement quality hygiene projects with a genuine focus on behavior change
- Build capacity to monitor and evaluate project progress, and to report accurately
- Identify other specific training needs of team
- Organize and/or conduct regular training sessions for hygiene promotion staff
- Lead performance of sanitation and hygiene promotion staff.
- Any other duties and responsibilities that can be given by immediate and technical supervisors
- MSc/BSc in Public Health, Environmental Health, and related Fields
- 3 and 6 years relevant experience for MSc and BSC respectively in community health/hygiene promotion projects/program
- At least two years senior program management experiences
- Experience of managing participatory Sanitation and Hygiene Promotions/education
- Proven experience of leading public health Community Mobilization engagements
- Understanding of health, development and relief issues.
- Demonstrated experience of integrating gender and diversity issues into public health promotion.
- Fluency in English, with additional Local Languages is preferable.
- Ability to deliver a high concise quality reports in English, demonstrated experience in training provision, proposal development, including practical experience with budgeting, log frame development, and writing of technical descriptions
- NGO experience is a plus
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work well in a team.
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Excellent computer skills: MS Word, Excel, Power point, outlook and internet
Candidates who meet the above qualifications; please send your CV and application letter only through IRC career site:
Your application letter/cover letter must include the following information.
- Name of the position applied for
- Date of application
- Summary of your qualifications and experience
- Motivation/objective of why you have applied for the job
- Please include at least 3 references from current and former supervisors.
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply!
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.
Standards of Professional Conduct on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding: The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and carries out policies, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances
Equal Opportunity Employer: IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.