|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||August 8, 2021|
|Category|| Business Development |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
The purpose of the position is to provide technical and specialist advisory role on Sanitation and Hygiene as well as facilitate sanitation and hygiene related actions. The post holder will ensure that Sanitation and Hygiene components of the WASH programmes and projects implementation are in line with WaterAid’s requirements and are met according to all national and international standards and specifications. She/he will manage innovation and learning in Sanitation and Hygiene in WASH Programmes and projects and spearhead how these can be applied to continuously improve WAE's WASH programmes work.
The post holder is expected to identify and introduce appropriate Sanitation and Hygiene technologies and approaches to advance WaterAid’s work inline with its Global Frameworks and Country Context.Job Description:
· Provide appropriate advice to ensure adherence with National, regional and Water Aid’s policies and recommended practices on Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH);
· Provide adequate support to the development and implementation of approaches, tools, and
support and develop existing Sanitation and Hygiene programmes within the WASH sector.
· Lead the development of annual detailed implementation plans for projects under her/his domain and ensure that detailed project implementation plans, and procurement plans are updated and openly communicated in line with the project progress and results.
· Contribute for the development of the technical approach of WAE in Sanitation and Hygiene and provide technical support in the programmes and projects to be implemented.
· Contribute to program/project design, implementation, learning, and monitoring and evaluation through active collaboration with all team members;
· Review and ensure all the technical reports prepared from the field meet internal and external requirements.
· Ensure that WAE’s Sanitation and Hygiene interventions are aligned with international and national priorities;
· Ensure that Sanitation and Hygiene components of the WASH programmes and project activities are implemented in accordance with the Global and National standards;
· Collaborate with other departments to ensure that a common approach, synergy and sharing of information exists;
· In collaboration with the Director of Technical services, provide technical guidance to the delivery of innovative and sustainable Sanitation and Hygiene services / management models
· Updating Line Manager on the emerging technical requirements on Sanitation and Hygiene through regular reporting;
· Provide technical support in all phases of the program cycle, from appraisal, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation through regular field visits, training-based capacity building, and desk-based feedback;
· Analyse partner capacity needs and built partner/stakeholder capacity in Sanitation and Hygiene
· Develop technical standards for sanitation and hygiene in development contexts adhering to global and national standards.
· Contribute to and provide inputs of annual work plan, required project reports, baseline data, tools and indicators for monitoring and evaluation, collection / sharing of lessons learned;
· Develop internal organisational sanitation and hygiene related training and development of tools, guidelines, standards to improve program quality;
· Provide technical guidance and support to field programmes on WA sanitation and hygiene related issues, to ensure quality, cost-effectiveness, sustainability and environmental soundness in their implementation.
· Provide technical support in the delivery of sanitation and hygiene interventions in WaterAid intervention Woredas.
· Manage project(s) and project’s human resources under his/her domain directly as appropriate and assigned by the organisation.
· Arrange or facilitate training and capacity building needs whenever necessary;
Programme Development and Resource Mobilisation
· Provide technical and strategic input into the development of the Country Strategy.
· Work closely with the Director of Technical Services, and other team members to ensure high quality programmes are met through the application of Quality Programmes Standards of WaterAid.
· Contribute to the development of operating business plan for programmes in collaboration with the other technical leads and departments.
· Contribute for the development of new proposals in close coordination with other teams to ensure high quality proposals that meet the requirements of the donors are developed.
· Actively participate in preparation for grant bidding activities, such as capability statements, project summaries, partner profiles, etc.
· In collaboration with other team members, ensure that cross cutting issues like equity, inclusion and gender are mainstreamed into all programme activities.
· Develop concept notes and proposals on innovative Sanitation and Hygiene interventions;
Advocacy and Influencing
· Provide technical and strategic input in Hygiene for All, and Total Sanitation to End open Defecation and Urination (TSEDU) Ethiopia Campaigns content development and media campaign;
· Advise and support networking on Sanitation and Hygiene sector donors and stakeholders for WASH Financing;
· Support research and studies that are aimed at generating evidence for Sanitation and Hygiene advocacy;
· Contribute for increasing the quantity and quality of WASH Financing;
Accountability, Learning and Innovation
· Ensure high quality Sanitation and Hygiene interventions are implemented through projects and are innovative and inclusive;
· Ensure that findings and recommendations from various accountability mechanisms such as Reviews, Programme evaluations, external and internal evaluations, are acted upon in a timely and effective manner.
· In close collaboration with People and Organisational Development team, participate in recruitment and selection processes to ensure skilled programme staff are recruited, retained, and provided with, mentoring and coaching for development.
· Ensure that best practices and lessons learned are documented, shared, and integrated into programming.
Learning and Development:
· Keep up to date with developments in the sector, including best practice examples in the regions and nationally, and ensure ongoing personal development and learning;
· Participate in the documentation and dissemination of lessons learned in the project/program.
· Extract Sanitation and Hygiene learning lesson from the programmes and projects and share them as appropriate.
· Prepare technical reports for dissemination to various stakeholders.
Networking and Coordination
· Maintain effective technical cooperation and coordination exist with local governments, UN agencies, other NGOs and government partners;
· Develop and maintain good relationships with national government ministries, Regional, Zonal and Woreda level government WASH sector offices, other NGOs and the development sector in general.
· Network with national and international sanitation and hygiene coordination, collaboration and networking
· Work closely with field staff capacity building of staff and knowledge sharing within the region
· Provide support to Ministry of Health, Education and Water in the development and revisions of national strategies and program documents in consultation with the Line Manager
· Represent Water Aid in high-level national, regional and global policy and learning forums as may be assigned by the Line Manager
Equity and Inclusion:
· Ensures that all Sanitation and Hygiene interventions consider Equity & Inclusion principles and mainstreamed in the projects/programs to influence both national and sub-national WASH sector and other stakeholders to include E&I in their WASH interventions.
Safeguarding & Safety & Security:
· Understands and puts into practice the responsibilities under Safeguarding, Child Protection and Gender policies and Code of Conduct (CoC)
· Adheres to any local security protocols that have been put in place when working in the office, travelling to the field or undertaking project / programme activities
· Immediately reports any health, safety and security incidents or near-misses that occur on WaterAid duty to their line manager, Security Focal Point or CD
· Behaves and acts in a manner that does not put colleagues or anyone that interacts with WaterAid in immediate danger or harm’s way.
· Perform any other duty as may be assigned by supervisor or designee from time to time
· Participate and contribute in committees and task forces e.g. Procurement Committee.
Education & Qualifications Required:
The position holder should have a master’s degree in Environmental Health, Environmental Science, Public Health, Social Science, Development Studies or other related studies.
Minimum of 6 years ‘experience with a thorough understanding of WASH in a complex, international development organisation especially in development and resilience sectors. 3 years shall have been at Sanitation and Hygiene technical advisory roles.
· Demonstrated track record in program advisory role.
· A strong understanding of project cycle management, WASH and Health is essential.
· The position holder must be results oriented and team a player.
· Knowledge of WaterAid working systems, policies and standards will be an advantage
· A member of a Professional Body is an advantage.
· Excellent in writing and speaking English and Amharic languages
Working Environment / Conditions:
· Work environment: Office-based with travel to the field
· Travel: 30% Domestic and occasional international travel is required.
· Cross-cultural awareness and sensitivity
· Ability to work to deadlines and under pressure
· Strong proven delegation, time management and prioritising skills
· Flexible, patient and adaptable to a changing environment.
· Excellent interpersonal, communication and team building skills.
· Effective networking abilities
· Excellent people management capabilities
· Good public speaking ability in English and Amharic
Interested and qualified applicants are requested to apply online.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Qualified women are highly encouraged to apply.
WaterAid is an equal opportunities employer regardless of sex, race, disability, age, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.
WaterAid is committed to ensuring that wherever we work in the world, there is no tolerance for the abuse of power, privilege, or trust. WaterAid reinforces a culture of zero tolerance towards any form of inappropriate behaviour, abuse, harassment, or exploitation of any kind. The safeguarding of our beneficiaries, staff, volunteers, and anyone working on our behalf, is our top priority, and we take our responsibilities extremely seriously. All staff and volunteers are required to share in this commitment through our Global Code of Conduct. We will conduct the most appropriate pre-employment references and checks to ensure high standards are maintained.