|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||March 26, 2022|
|Category|| NGO |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) is one of the largest humanitarian agencies in the world, providing relief, rehabilitation, and post-conflict reconstruction support to victims of oppression and violent conflict. IRC has worked for over seven decades in the world addressing both the immediate, life-saving needs of conflict-affected people in an emergency and the reconstruction needs in post-conflict societies. IRC is committed to a culture of bold leadership, innovation in all aspects of our work, creative partnerships and thorough accountability to those we serve.
The Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion Officer reports to Emergency Rapid Response (ERR) Manager and is responsible for ensuring smooth implementation of sanitation and hygiene promotion project around IDPs center. The program focuses on maintaining to ensure adequate environmental health conditions are met in IDPs collective centers and host communities around where the IRC is mandated to implement projects.
The principal role of the SHP Officer is to ensure that quality hygiene promotion activities are well integrated into the overall IRC WASH integrated, Nutrition, Health and protection projects and responsible for planning, implementation and monitoring and evaluation of sanitation and hygiene promotion component in the woreda and IDP centers. The position also requires proper management of the financial, material and other resources under the program.
This position technically reports to the ERR Manager, and organize and send formal and informal report to the ERR Manager.
MAJOR/KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS: Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- With support from ERR Manager, design and undertake/take part in quantitative/qualitative assessments to identify key risky hygiene behaviors, to set baseline and measure project achievements;
- Recruit, train, manage and supervise Environmental Health Agents and community health volunteers on basics of participatory hygiene promotion/education, methods/approaches, and communication and facilitation skills
- Plan and ensure the accurate distribution of Non Food Items and work with Cash Transfer programming
- Work with beneficiaries representatives to identify volunteers/incentive workers for hygiene promotion/education;
- Prepare detail work plan for hygiene promotion/education activities and ensure proper implementation of the same;
- Work with clients to select site and design to build latrines, water points and other WASH facilities for vulnerable groups , and ensure needs of most vulnerable are taken in to account at all stages of hygiene promotion intervention/s;
- Works in collaboration with other IRC staff including protection staff, government partners & key stakeholder and ensure accurate integration of the interventions;
- Monitor and supervise hygiene promotion activities in the camp
- Work with ERR Manager on development, testing, printing and positioning of culturally appropriate IEC materials, and monitoring tools and ensure proper use of the same;
- Prepare updates and monthly progress and other reports;
- Initiate procurement to ensure adequate supplies for hygiene and sanitation promotion activities;
- Coordinate with other Implementing Partners (IPs) in harmonizing hygiene promotion/education interventions;
- Document and share lessons learned and success stories in relation to hygiene to inform future programming
- Serve as the focal point person for all activities related to IRC Refugee camp sanitation and hygiene promotion
- Any additional responsibility as requested his/her supervisor.
- University Degree in Environmental Health, Public Health, Nursing, Community Development, Health Education, or any other related field from recognized University with relevant experience of at least 4 years for degree and 1 years for Masters- Essential in the sector.
- Relevant work experience on hygiene promotion with I/NGO in development, emergency or refugee settings – Preferable
- Very good written and spoken English – Essential and Tigrigna is an asset
- Previous experience of implementing participatory hygiene promotion and sanitation methods (e.g. PHAST, CLTS/H, CHC, CHAST) and organizing campaigns on key hygiene themes – Preferable
- Previous experience of implementing institutional (schools & health facilities) hygiene promotions/educations; – Preferable
- Ability to work as part of a team as well as to work autonomously when required; – Essential
- Very good at computer- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point and e-mail)