|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||October 11, 2021|
|Category|| Health Care / Medical |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Inter religious council of Ethiopia is an umbrella organization made up of seven major religious institutions found in Ethiopia, namely the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahdo Church (EOTC), the Ethiopian Islamic Affairs Supreme Council (EIASC), the Ethiopian Catholic Church (ECC), the Evangelical Church Fellowship of Ethiopia (ECFE), the Ethiopian Seventh Day Adventist Church (ESDAC), the Ethiopian Evangelical Church Mekane Yesus (EECMY) and the Ethiopian Kale Hiwot Church (EKH). It was established as an independent and registered entity in 2010 and it has been certified by the then Ministry of Federal Affairs; now Ministry of Peace. Its objective includes promotion and systemization of inter-faith learning, collaboration and synergy to address issues of common concern such as peace building, conflict transformation and inter-faith dialogue. It also mainstreams the crosses cutting issues in all its development strategies such as HIV/AIDS, Human Trafficking, Climate change, and different harmful practices (Child marriage, FGM, GBV and domestic violence, etc.). Therefore, IRCE is the only institution of its kind in the country that promotes peace, culture of dialogue and enhances social wellbeing based on shared and common values of religious teachings.
IRCE has been awarded a grant by USAID Ethiopia to implement PEPFAR’s Faith based Retention and Adherence Initiative for 23 months based on availability of funding and performance. The grant intends to strengthen organizational capacity by the recipient and, concurrently, deliver strategic HIV advocacy, communication and social mobilization (ACSM) to faith-based audiences in close collaboration with the Government of Ethiopia in PEPFAR geographic focusing areas.
IRCE seeks a Mental Health Specialist to provide technical and strategic leadership in the development and implementation of Mental Health and GBV response among faith-based communities, the internally displaced population, PLHIV and survivor of GBV. The incumbent of the position will be responsible for ensuring that the Mental Health activities are aligned with global guidelines and best practices in the field. The incumbent of the position repots to project director.
The SBCS specialist is directly responsible for the development and implementation of the project SBCC strategy in collaboration with partners and stakeholders.to provide technical leadership and oversight for sustained demand creation activities for PEPFAR Faith Based Retention and Adherence Initiative of IRCE. The incumbent of the position oversees and coordinates and provides technical assistance for the project elements, ensuring the implementation of evidence-based strategies while respecting the religious and cultural settings in which programs are being implemented.
S/he will play a significant role in shaping the external face and policy engagement of IRCE and will work closely with project team members to ensure the development and dissemination of integrated, aligned, well-targeted, measurable advocacy messages and communications. The incumbent will identify sound, cost-effective, and practical approaches to enhance retention and adherence of clients enrolled on ART that are consistent with Government of Ethiopia and donor policies and priorities.
The SBCS specialist reports to the Project director and is a member of the senior project coordination and management team.
Major and overall Duties and Responsibilities:
Leadership and Program Development and implementation 50%
- Lead design of an advocacy, communication and social mobilization strategy for the project, identifying strategies to engage, influence and mobilize different constituencies, including political, religious and community leaders, youth and adolescents;
- Collaborate with project director and the team in the development of detailed work plan, of the project and work closely with M&E specialist to support the development and implementation of Performance Monitoring Plan (PMP);
- Oversees the development of materials needed to realize the project’s SBCC strategy, which may include development and testing of training curricula, messaging, and other communication tools and materials;
- Provides technical and strategic guidance in community mobilization; supporting the project officers and teams to meet their objectives of mobilizing and sustaining a community-based volunteers and spiritual leaders to carry out project activities;
- Coordinate development of region/cluster demand generation plans for each target population and ensure the intervention meets quality standards;
- In collaboration with the M&E team, track progress towards relevant performance indicators, analysing reasons for shortfalls and adapting program strategies as needed;
- Designs capacity building strategies and ensure that they are implemented to build the capacity of project staff and lower structure IRCE interfaith member institutions
- Roll out and disseminate updated Project approved guidelines, standard operating procedures and other job-aids at the facility and community levels;
- Provide inputs content development, coordination of production, dissemination of press releases, publications, articles and sharing of project knowledge and successes;
- Initiate and participate in evaluation of targeted demand generation strategies and assessment activities related to advocacy, community mobilization and communications with the goal of improving project outcomes;
- Provide leadership in the planning and coordination of ACSM activities in 8 regions and lower structures under them, ensuring activities are implemented on schedule and meet and geared towards ultimately achievement of project targets;
- Oversees the development of materials needed to realize the project’s Social and behavioural change communication SBCC strategy, which may include development and testing of training curricula, messaging, and other communication tools and materials;
- Representation and Coordination 30%
- Ensure implementation of activities in compliance with all USAID administrative and operational procedures and policies;
- Coordinate closely with the project officers, relevant regional and town level USAID partners for exchange of ideas and cross fertilization of innovative approaches including tools and materials developed is shared and utilized at community level for increased impact of the interventions;
- Actively contribute to the development of ASCM strategies and approach at national and regional level;
- Collaborate with the PEPFAR/USAID partners for organizational development as it related to SBSC components of the project;
- Present progress, achievements and lessons learned at relevant technical working groups, sectorial meetings and coordination forums;
- Collaborate to identify structural and system barriers to the implementation of the project activities and ways to address those structural barriers working with;
- Contributes to the production of timely and accurate technical reports to IRCE and USAID as required;
- Perform other duties assigned by immediate supervisor.
Reporting and documentation 20%
- Compile, document and disseminate best practices
- Present progress, achievements and lessons learned at relevant technical working groups, sectorial meetings and coordination forums
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual report as per the requirement of the organization and donor
Number of Position: (01)
Place of Work: IRCE Head Office
Reporting to: Project Director
Knowledge and Skills
- Team role player, capable in planning, organizing & management skills;
- Communicates clearly verbally and in writing;
- Makes innovative and creative contributions to Project design;
- Proactive, takes initiative and capitalizes on opportunities;
- Executes work effectively and efficiently;
- Manages conflicting priorities to meet deadlines under strict time constraints;
- Mentors, inspires, motivates and develops project officers;
- Networks, forges and nurtures productive working relationships with staffs, donors and partners;
- Ability to communicate with stakeholders at all levels;
- Excellent interpersonal, team building and problem-solving skills and Advocacy skills;
Education & Experience
- Bachelor's degree or Master’s Degree in health and/or communication, social sciences, or a similar field;
- Minimum of Seven and Five years’ experience for Bachelor’s degree and Master’s degree respectively and out of this 3 years’ experience in SBCC and advocacy, communications, and dissemination;
- Good understanding of the current development and humanitarian trends and issues;
- Demonstrated knowledge of evidence-based ACSM models and strategies, best practices in community health interventions, and linkage to services and approaches to addressing gender issues relating to uptake of health services;
- Proven experience of communicating information and advocacy with a wide range of different audiences;
- Training on Advocacy, Communication and Social Mobilization and BCC strategies
- Ability to develop best practices and lesson learned documentation for dissemination and publication;
- Familiarity with current strategies and best practices for social and behaviour change;
- Demonstrated ability to plan and deliver trainings on social mobilization and behaviour change communication;
- Ability to present information and communication products for a range of different audiences;
- Awareness of potential sensitivity of the information in the context of NGOs arena and health/development programs and the ability to differentiate between information for internal versus external audiences;
- Knowledge of donor communication and visibility requirements
Interested and qualified applicants should mail only their application letter and C.V to: Human Resources, Inter-Religious Council of Ethiopia
Due to the volume of applications, we will only contact shortlisted candidates, and we are unable to provide any feedback on unsuccessful applications.
Please mention the title of the position you applied for on the subject line of your email.
CANDIDATES WHO DO NOT FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
Note: Use "SBCC Specialist" as the subject line of your email !