Science Center Curator
|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||November 9, 2021|
|Category|| Health Care / Medical |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
The Ethiopian Academy of Sciences is a non-governmental and not-for-profit organization established by an Act of Parliament (Proclamation No. 783/2013) as an independent body. It provides evidence-based advice to policymakers and other stakeholders, conducts consensus studies, promotes excellence in research, offers capacity-building training, organizes public dialogues, disseminates pertinent scientific, cultural, historical, and educational information, and encourages innovations in the sciences and technology.
Introduces Physics, Geology, Paleoanthropology, and Industrial exhibits to visitors; arranges, protects, and maintains displays; popularizes and promotes the exhibits; organizes group visits and science fairs.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Displaying and explaining to visitors exhibits in the different units of the Science Center;
- Coordinating educational programs and public outreach campaigns to promote science center visits
- Generating ideas to the creation of innovative science exhibits to enhance the interactive nature of the Science Museum
- Conductresearch on the science exhibits and creating interpretive materials that will be used to educate visitors
- Organizing visits to the Science Center by various communities, groups, and individuals;
- Participating in the organization of periodic public events like science fairs, science competitions, and science lectures;
- Promoting the visibility of the Science Center exhibits by organizing media coverage, online displays, and other means.
- Responsible for keeping records of exhibits and preparing catalogs of acquisitions,
- Responsible for proper installation of science exhibits and ensuring their protection and maintenance.
Employment duration: Two years, renewable based on performance.
Salary and benefits: As per the Academy’s salary scale
Qualification and Competencies
- BSc in Physics
- A minimum of three years of experience in teaching or related work;
- Good knowledge of the five pillars of Physics – mechanics, oscillation and mechanical wave, thermodynamics, electricity, and magnetism, light and optics;
- A passion for the history of science and technology and an eye for details
- Good computer and networking skills;
- Fluent in spoken and written English and Amharic;
- Excellent interpersonal skills handling of schools kids. Education, knowledge, and skills required
- Ability and skills in presenting and communicating messages effectively
- Superior organizational skills and timeliness in carrying out responsibilities
Interested applicants who meet the above requirements should submit their application letter with their CV; indicating the position applying for on the subject line of the email only.
Send your applications by email: email@example.com or deliver by hand to the Secretariat’s Administration and Finance Office, Gulele Sub-City, Woreda 9, House No. 199, Phone: +251 112 590930 at Blaten Geta Heruy Woldesellassie’s former residence.
Please note that only those candidates meeting the job requirements will be contacted for exam.
Women are especially encouraged to apply.