|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||July 16, 2021|
|Category|| Health Care / Medical |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
The College of Health Sciences of Addis Ababa University is collaborating with the World Health Organization (WHO) in the multi-country trials to generate knowledge that will allow countries to hospitalize only young infants with possible serious bacterial infection (PSBI) who need hospitalization and treat the others on outpatient basis and for those who need hospitalization but improve early, continue their treatment at home. To this effect the College of Health Sciences seeks to hire a Screening and Enrollment Research Assistant (SERA) for the PSBI Trials that will be conducted in five sites in Addis Ababa, Oromia and Amhara regions. The PSBI Trials project will work closely with the ministry of health, Addis Ababa City Administration Health Bureau, Oromia and Amhara Regional Health Bureaus to implement the trials in selected sites.
The SERA will work closely with the Study Site Coordinator and will be responsible for screening of all sick young infants, taking consent, and enrolling consented eligible sick young infants into the two studies. The SERA will be responsible for completing and electronically submitting screening and enrollment consents and forms for each young infant and caretaker contacted. The SERA will strictly follow the standard operating procedure (SOP) and protocols laid out by the study investigators to ensure the study activities are implemented meeting high standards and high-quality data are generated.
Specific roles and responsibilities include
- Work with the Study Site Coordinator to plan and implement study activities at site level
- Obtain consent for screening from sick young infant caretakers using the screening consent form
- Screen sick young infants for eligibility using the eligibility checklist
- Obtain study enrollment consent from caretakers of sick young infants using enrollment consent form
- Enroll eligible and consented sick young infants into the studies
- Report performance, attend routine team meetings and routinely communicate with the Study Site Coordinator
- Work with other study team members and Study Site Coordinator to promptly identify and resolve challenges
- Align plan and coordinate with other site study team members to implement study activities
- Ensure generation and use of high-quality screening and enrollment data
- Working closely with the Study Site Coordinator implement standard operating procedure (SOP) and protocols for the interventions and proper use of instruments and protocols for data collection;
- Create and nurture smooth working relationship with the study site health facilities and communities
- Develop monthly performance report and submit them to the Study Site Coordinator;
- Execute other tasks given by the Study Site Coordinator
Duration of work: 1 year with possible extension
Tentative Start Date: Immediately
Number of posts: Four
Station: Adama-2, Addis Ababa-2
- Medical Doctor/ Master’s degree with zero year experience or Bachelor degree in health field with at least two years of experience
- Progressive responsibility working in research is desirable.
- Demonstrated experience using electronic device to collect data
- Demonstrated experience working in health facilities as frontline health worker managing sick children
- Familiarity with the Ethiopian health system, Ethiopian Ministry of Health and Regional Health Bureaus preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in screening, lab workup and management of sick children
- Written and verbal fluency in English and Amharic languages is required. Written and spoken fluency in Afan Oromo is required for Adama site. Strong writing skills and exceptional oral and written communication skills required.
- Excellent problem-solving, communication, and teamwork skills necessary.
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple project activities, balance conflicting priorities, and handle confidential information appropriately.
- Must exhibit tact and diplomacy in inter-cultural settings.
- Prior field research and academic experience related to maternal and newborn health in Ethiopia is desirable.
- Exceptional organizational skills, ability to prioritize multiple tasks, and careful attention to detail.
- Prior experience working with electronic data collection and online databases, and demonstrated experience managing databases.
Interested and Qualified Applicants are requested to submit their application letter specifying for the position they are applying and update CV and their relevant Credentials (Such as Degree, Transcript, recommendation Letters and other relevant documents) to The Human Resource Administration Office of Addis Ababa University College Of Health Science , Tikur Anbessa Specialized Hospital ( TASH), located around EBC the former ETV first floor Room # 118 within 10 days, from the date of announcement. Female applicants are highly encouraged.