|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||December 25, 2022|
|Category|| Secretary |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
The European Union (EU) is an economic and political partnership between 27 European countries. It plays an important role in international affairs through diplomacy, trade, development aid and working with global organizations. Abroad, the EU is represented through more than 140 diplomatic representations, known also as EU Delegations, which have a similar function to those of an embassy.
The EU Delegation to the African Union in Addis Ababa works in close coordination with the Embassies and Consulates of the 27 EU Member States. We are a fully-fledged diplomatic mission and represent the European Union in dealings with the African Union and its Commission in areas that are part of the EU’s remit. The establishment of the Delegation in January 2008 was an important political statement by the EU: the recognition that, the African Union and its Commission has become a strategic partner in EU relations with Africa.
We offer an interesting and challenging post of Secretary (Local Agent Group 3) in the Delegation’s Administrative Section.
The team consists of 10 people and there could be occasionally atypical working hours.
Under this post, the recruited person will be attributed functions depending on the needs of the Delegation, and on the changes of these needs. The successful candidate will serve under the direct supervision and responsibility of the Head of Administration, providing support, expertise and assistance in following main tasks and duties are currently required:
- Overall secretarial, organisational and administrative assistance in the administrative section;
- Management of the agenda of the Head of Administration (HoA); answering the telephone, filtering calls and taking messages, responding to general inquiries and managing the e-mail exchange and shared calendar, book meeting rooms and facilitate video conference.
- Drafting of correspondence and meeting minutes;
- Formatting, editing, and synthesizing of reports and documents;
- Maintenance of the administrative section’s files and common calendar;
- Classification, filing, and registering of correspondence and documents
- Logistical support to the organisation of meetings/events/missions;
- Liaising with services in HQ and relations with external stakeholders regarding events, logistic, organisational arrangements and all other possible administrative matters;
- Perform any other task and support as requested by the Head of Administration.
The base salary will depend on relevant and verified employment experience, typically starting from 1,350 EURO (gross salary, paid in ETB). There is a competitive benefits package, subject to certain conditions, including personal leave days and public holidays, health insurances and a retirement savings plan.
The expected start date will be 01 March 2023.
After the deadline for applications, the eligible applications will be admitted to the Selection by the Committee set up for this purpose.
The Selection Panel will prepare a short-list of candidates who are considered the most suitable for the post based on a preliminary assessment of the information provided in their application letter and supporting documents. The short-listed candidates will be invited to an assessment phase, which will include an interview and practical test. During this phase, the Selection Panel will assess the suitability of the candidates for the post. Those candidates who have not been short-listed will not be contacted individually; however, the Delegation will use the same means of publication as for this job advertisement to inform the remaining candidates once the recruitment procedure has been completed and that a candidate has (or has not) been recruited.
Only candidates admitted to selection phase will be contacted individually. The Delegation will use the same means of publication as for this job advertisement to inform the remaining candidates once the recruitment procedure has been completed and that a candidate has (or has not) been recruited.
The employment is conditional, subject to proof that the individual is eligible to work in Ethiopia.
The Delegation will not supply additional information or discuss the selection procedure. During the selection process, please do not contact the members of the Selection Committee, but address your questions and comments to the Delegation’s Administration.
EU CV template can be downloaded at the following link:
Minimum requirements / eligibility criteria
We look for a committed and energetic colleague with strong experience and proven track record as secretary/assistant (minimum 5 years). You should have:
- Medically fit to perform the required duties;
- Advanced level knowledge of English (C2 level) and fluency in Amharic
- High School Leaving Certificate & Minimum proven 5 years of working experience related to the job description;
- Proficient in ICT (knowledge of the whole Microsoft Office Package) required
- Right to residence and work in Ethiopia or Ethiopian National
- Good standing as citizen/resident
The following will be considered an asset / selection criteria:
- Post high school certificate in Business Administration or Secretarial Studies and/or office Management;
- Work experience in international organisations and/or diplomatic missions;
- Knowledge of French
- Personal initiative, flexibility, organisation skills and able to perform duties independently with speed and accuracy;
- Good team player, able to adapt in a multi-cultural and diplomatic environment;
- High degree of integrity and discretion;
- Good communication skills; high sense of prioritisation; organisation and resilience;
- Capacity to assure quality, speed and accuracy in performing a diversity of tasks in a complex environment;
- Experience with organising and coordinating meetings with internal and external stakeholders, as well as high level visits;
- Experience with document management systems;
- Knowledge of security requirements, handling of sensitive information.