|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||February 22, 2021|
|Category|| Accounting |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Internal and External Vacancy Announcement
Lutheran World Federation (LWF/WS – Ethiopia) is a registered foreign charity which has been operating in Ethiopia since 1973 implementing various development and humanitarian projects in different parts of Ethiopia. LWF is currently looking and invites qualified candidates to apply for the Senior Accountant position.
Duties and Responsibilities of the Position Holder
· Continually be aware of the internal controls, accounting and reporting systems in relation the duties and responsibilities and draw the attention of the finance manager to any perceived shortcomings and recommend changes.
· Ensure all Purchase Requisitions are completed correctly and that and check that adequate budgets are available.
· Ensure that there is complete documentation and authorization for all payments and check their appropriateness.
· Review the head office cash and bank books and prepare all the required bank reconciliations.
· In conjunction with the Finance Manager, contact with local banks as required
· Prepare all journal vouchers in relation adjustments, corrections, Geneva transactions and allocation of head office costs for approval by the finance manager
· Review to ensure the accuracy of the head office cash books including bank reconciliation and cash sheets.
· Monitor the effects of exchange rate movements on income and expenditure
· Review cash requests from field offices to ensure they relate to existing budgets and work plans.
· Ensure that sufficient funds are available for the transfers to the field offices prior to their approval.
· In conjunction with the Accountant, review the monthly financial data (including cash sheets and bank reconciliation) submitted by the field offices to ensure that they meet the standard required by LWF and donors.
· Provide support and advice to the relevant field accountants for any shortcomings detected in the review of the documentation provided and advise the Finance Manager of any serious or continual shortcomings.
· Participate in the preparation of project documents, budgets and quarterly monitoring reports and reports to donors.
· In conjunction with the Finance Manager review all budgets to ensure their accuracy and appropriateness with particular attention to the recovery of head office costs
· Prepare the required schedules from submitted timesheets to enable the journal voucher for the core cost allocations to be made to the various projects.
· Process all monthly financial data in a timely manner to enable financial report preparation to enable LWF Geneva and donor deadlines to be met.
· Prepare draft financial reports for both Geneva and donors before their deadlines for review by the finance manager.
· Check and reconcile receivables and payables on a monthly basis. Undertake the necessary follow up to ensure that these are settled in a timely manner.
· Monitor project financial statements and alert the finance manager of significant variances.
· Partake in the monthly review of financial reports where items of importance and relevance will be shared by the Finance Manager.
Compliance with Regulations
· Become conversant and ensure compliance with LWF regulations – Procurement Policies, Finance Manual, ACCPAC Manual and staff rules insofar as they relates to the duties of the position.
· Become conversant and ensure compliance with LWF Ethiopia’s staff rules and collective agreement insofar as they relates to the duties of the position
· Prepare the payroll to ensure that the proposed payment is accurate in all respects.
· Review proposed payments for withholding tax and income tax to ensure their accuracy and compliance with local laws
· Review proposed payments for international staff income tax to ensure their accuracy and compliance with local laws
· Review proposed payments for staff pensions to ensure their accuracy and compliance with local laws
· Review proposed payments to the provident fund account to ensure their accuracy.
· Carry out a monthly review of staff advances and provide to the Finance Manager a report of the outstanding balances and action to be taken, if any, to for all outstanding balances.
· Carry out other duties as assigned by the Finance manager
Archives and Maintenance of Registers
· Ensure that electronic storage of all financial information is carried out in a systematic manner as set out in the LWF finance manual.
· Ensure all the necessary information is available before the commencement of the annual yearly audit.
· Provide assistance to the auditors during the completion of the external audit
Employment Term: One year with high possibility of extension
Required qualification and Work Experience Qualification:
- Masters or Bachelor Degree in Accounting or related disciplines
- Minimum of 6 years relevant work experience for Bachelor Degree and 4 years for Masters Degree
- Accounting Software like SAGE is required
- Other job related trainings are advantageous
- Excellent written and oral English Language skills required
- Interested to work under pressure and in harsh environment
- Previous related experience in NGO setup is an advantage
LWF World Service Ethiopia is an equal opportunity employer. LWF World Service Ethiopia considers all applicants based on merit regardless of sex, color, religion, ethnicity, age, marital status or disability except for affirmative action to bring gender equity.
Women are encouraged to apply and only short-listed applicants will be contacted.