|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||January 31, 2020|
|Category|| Business Development |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Brooke is an international animal welfare charity working to improve the lives of working horses, donkeys, mules and the people who depend on them.
We reach over 2 million working animals across Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Middle East. Our staffs include vets, animal welfare experts and advocacy and development specialists.
Our aim is to equip local people with the knowledge and skills to give their horse, donkey or mule a better life.
In Ethiopia, Brooke works with stakeholders and partner organisations who take leadership to transform the lives of vulnerable working donkeys, horses and mules by relieving their immediate suffering and creating lasting change.
Purpose of Role
This is a new role, at a senior level, in Brooke Ethiopia, aimed at identifying current and new work suitable for grant funding, particularly (but not limited to), Brooke’s refreshed Theory of Change, which seeks to strengthen community resilience and livelihoods through an animal welfare lens. In addition the post holder would be responsible for leading on the development of resulting funding opportunities.
With a special focus on developing significant external relationships with local as well as regional and global key stakeholders to profile BE business development efforts for Country Programme.
You will lead in undertaking, portfolio analysis, donor landscape scanning, development of a donor engagement plan and funding strategies, tracking of donor funding opportunities and lead proposal development processes.
Regular meetings and call and communication with UK based Fundraising and Communications (FundComm) Department regarding needs and opportunities with major donors. You will work with both the in-country senior team and the UK based Fundraising and Communications (FundComm) Department to develop high quality funding proposals for international regional and national funders. This will include concept notes, proposals and donor reports for UK and international funders. As the central link between the country programme and UK-based teams, in relation to fundraising for Ethiopia, you will provide quality, timely and accurate information as part of the restricted funding management responsibilities in in Ethiopia.
Key Responsibilities and Duties
1. Development of and implementation of a Funding Strategy Aligned to Programme Priorities
- Analyse the current portfolio and identify trends and approaches that inform a better funding strategy
- Develop and create shared ownership of a funding strategy for Brooke Ethiopia and to secure funding that enables the Country Programme to achieve its Country Strategic Plan
- Identify and track relevant upcoming funding opportunities through desk-based research, advance intelligence gathering, donor websites and strategy papers for INGOs, private sector, government institutional donors, trusts and foundations and major donors that have a national or regional presence
- Implement the funding strategy and ensure coordination and synergy among country office teams in undertaking approaches and actions that deliver agreed restricted funding targets
- Undertake donor landscape mapping and prepare an effective plan for donor engagement.
- Together with thematic leads, develop thematic funding plans and track the implementation of the plans while considering the goals of Country Strategic Plan
- Ensures accurate and timely overview of funding priorities and pipeline health and analysis are shared across the country office and with the UK Programme Directorate and UK programme funding staff to ensure smooth and effective prioritization of funding opportunities.
2. Research and identify new international, regional and national funding sources and partnership opportunities that will lead to new restricted funding sources and grow grant income
3. Pre-positioning, local donor and funding partners engagement
4. Proposal Development and quality report writing
5. Develop funding proposals for key international, regional and national donors in collaboration with the Country CEO, UK Programme Directorate and UK programme funding staff.
6. Work with Programmes and UK FundComm teams to ensure country programme plans reflect donor interests and funding trends that align with Brooke’s new Theory of Change.
7. Work with Brooke West Africa team and support capacity building on Fundraising
8. Scope International Development Organisations in Ethiopia to develop collaborations that can lead to Consortia development
9. Manage all restricted funding processes in country including coordinating the provision of quality, timely and accurate narrative and financial information, qualitative and quantitative data to both UK FundComm and UK Strategy and Performance teams and help ensure all donor reporting deadlines are met.
10. Stewardship of funded projects and provision of regular updates for donors and UK FundComm teams when required; ensure the efficient implementation of the restricted funding process.
11. Together with the UK, coordinate country teams and provide capacity building, where needed, to ensure best practices and quality control for effective fundraising, management and stewardship of funded projects.
12. Act as the key point of contact and coordinator for all vests to the Country programme from FundComm staff.
Communication and Reporting
This role will be line managed in country on a day to day basis by the Country Director
However, the post holder is also required to collaborate, report to and communicate with members of the Philanthropy and Partnerships (P+P) team (as well as other Brooke UK staff) to achieve objectives in the following ways:
Programme Funding Advisor
- Attend central “grant ready” meetings and other international fundraising forums
- Update on new partnership and fundraising opportunities and developments as soon as they materialise, so they can be centrally logged and next steps planned, with formal bid/no bid processes followed.
- Work closely to develop applications within an agreed brief, meeting internal timelines for each stage of development.
Restricted Funding Advisor
- Provide up to date reporting and project information for concept note development.
- Provide up to date project and reporting information for the drafting of concept notes, funding applications and donor reports.
- Report on the progress of Restricted Funding projects at quarterly meetings to the Director of Programmes (and when needed to the Restricted Funding Advisor).
- Any other formal requests for collaborative working on applications/reports from member s of the P+P team.
Senior business development manager shall remain cognizant of work related inter dependencies with others and Country Director will be copied in, in any relevant conversation having possible impact on the regional plan and or operations in country.
- Follow the Brooke’s equal opportunities statement which aims to clarify the value we place on diversity and steps we take to promote equality of opportunity for all.
- Perform such additional tasks as may reasonably be requested from time to time by the Country Director Line Manager).
- Adhere at all times to Brooke’s policies and procedures.
- Professional / technical qualifications: BSc Degree or equivalent in international development or a related subject
- Income Generation: significant experience and a successful track record securing grants from trusts, foundations and key institutional funders.
- Knowledge and Experience in Institutional Funding: current knowledge and experience of institutional funders’ priorities, requirements and ways of working.
- Proposal and Report Writing: experience of producing high quality proposals and reports, delivering quantitative and qualitative information in both formal and informal styles. Understanding of Log frames and M&E frameworks.
- Relationship Building: proven experience of building productive one to one relationships, internally, working effectively across departments and country programmes. External: proven experience of networking and building working partnerships with donors, NGOs and other stakeholders and representing your organization on external platforms.
- Capacity Building: proven experience of building colleagues’ capacity to respond to donor requirements for proposal and reporting purposes.
- Budgeting: experience of producing budgets and reports for funders; experience of negotiating budgets, value for money, etc.
- Communication skills: excellent communicator with strong presentation skills and the ability to work effectively with a diverse range of individuals. Excellent written skills in English and French and the ability to synthesize large amounts of information for reporting and proposal writing purposes.
- IT: A good understanding and experience of working with databases, and Microsoft Office, PowerPoint. Knowledge /use of funder portals and software.
- Travel: Willingness and ability to travel to the UK occasionally, visit project sites and to work occasional weekends and evenings in line with business needs.
- Knowledge of or understanding of Animal Welfare
- Experience of securing funding for agriculture, farming, enterprise development, climate change, resilience related programmes.
If you are interested in the job and fulfill the above requirements, please visit the website https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ziber4x1vsocf39/AADYaixyC8c1KUTZ-0yEtO70a?dl=0 download the detailed attached herewith the job application form and complete the application form with letter of motivation, copies of relevant credentials and send through firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information or support, please call us on 0116 62 18 85/0912 05 54 59.