|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||April 28, 2020|
|Category|| Business Development |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
For more than 50 years, the African Wildlife Foundation (AWF) has been a key player in African Conservation and sustainable development. AWF is seeking a high performing and motivated individual to serve as a Senior Community Development Officer (SCDO).
The SCDO will oversee AWF’s community engagement in the Simien Mountains. S/he will work with different stakeholders, assist local communities living around Simien Mt. National Park and other adjacent areas including the Geech community who were recently resettled out of the Simien Mountain National Park. The SCDO will also help to implement the “Conservation and Sustainable Use of Biodiversity in Ethiopia”, a joint project between ECWACA and AWF funded by KfW. This position will be based in Debark, Ethiopia with frequent travel to the National Park and report to the Project Chief Technical Advisor.
- Bachelor’s degree in Community Development or Natural Resources Management or related fields. Postgraduate (Masters) in relevant field is added advantage.
- A minimum of 5 years working experience in community development.
- Familiarity with dynamic and key issues relating to community-based wildlife conservation in Ethiopia
- Demonstrated field experience.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Experience in project planning, budgeting and writing quality project reports.
- Fluency in spoken and written English and Amharic. Knowledge of other local languages is an advantage
- Ability to appreciate diversity such as gender.
- Ability to work independently and or as part of a team
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to take initiative and make sound decisions
- Computer literacy and ability to work efficiently in word, excel and internet skills
- Ability to undertake regular travel within the landscape
- Willingness to work long hours/weekends when required and spend days out in the field.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
Interested candidates are invited to view full Job Description and apply through https://careers.awf.org/o/senior-community-development-officerreadvertisement Please send a cover letter, your detailed CV indicating daytime telephone numbers, address and names of three referees with the Job Title in the subject line. Only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted. Given the urgency in filling this position, candidates will be screened on an ongoing basis and closed once position is filled.