|Location||Addis Ababa (50%) and Gambela (50% of the time)., Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||August 24, 2020|
|Category|| Business Development |
Education / Teaching
Sales and Marketing
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Finnish Refugee Council (FRC) / Suomen Pakolaisapu (www.refugeecouncil.fi) is an International non-governmental organisation with Head Office in Helsinki; FRC advocates for the rights of refugees, displaced populations and migrants, and supports their new beginning. By reinforcing equality and creating opportunities for everyone to lead a good life, FRC promotes the establishment of stable and peaceful societies.
Education forms the foundations of an equal society, and FRC´s activities place emphasis on capacity building for the most vulnerable members of societies as well as for community-based organisations, thus strengthening basic democratic structures.
FRC has been registered and accorded legal personality with Registry Number 4184 on 11th of June 2019 as a Foreign Organisation. As per the plans revised due to COVID-19 outbreak, FRC will start its operations in Ethiopia as from September 2020 implementing the 1 year long humanitarian project funded by the Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland.
The project is titled “Functional Adult Literacy for enhanced refugees´ resilience in Gambela Region” and aims at increasing the access to Functional Adult Literacy (FAL) for vulnerable South Sudanese refugees and host community members in Gambela Region.
FRC is looking for a dynamic and pro-active professional to be appointed as Senior Education Officer to provide project field staff with technical support in education and learning materials development, ToT facilitation and provision, quality project implementation and monitoring and evaluation.
His/her main tasks will be:
- Support and cooperate with the Education Consultant appointed to develop curriculum and design training materials and provide ToT to project FAL officers;
- Plan, organise and supervise the education activities and give technical guidance to the field team;
- Prepare the monitoring plan and supervise its implementation as per M&E tools designed and quarterly and annual reports of the project;
- Report to Field Office Coordinator (field activities) and Programme Manager/Country Representative (M&E);
Specific duties and responsibilities:
- Give advice and work with Programme Manager/Representative to develop and design literacy training plan;
- Ensure that project implementation mainstreams gender, disability and environmental issues;
- Train, provide technical support to and mentor field FAL officers;
- Conduct regular field visits to review and report on training progress and impact;
- Attend coordination meetings, at central as well as camp level as per need and possibility, and update the Programme Manager and Field coordinator on the meeting outcomes.
- Support and include beneficiary involvement in implementation and M&E;
- Review and contribute to design and development of training materials;
- Lead the training of community facilitators;
- Set up M&E system and ensure tools are in place and operational to collect data and information required;
- Carry out any other tasks as requested by FRC Programme Manager/Representative.
- An advanced university degree (Master’s) in one or more of the disciplines relevant to the following areas: Education, Primary Education, or Social Science fields relevant to humanitarian aid and/or development assistance;
- Bachelor degree in education or similar combined with additional 2 years or professional experience.
Work experience and competencies:
- at least five years of progressively professional work experience in education and adult education programmes;
- Previous experience in management and supervision position for NGOs in humanitarian and refugee settings;
- Previous experience with International NGOs;
- Experience in development of curriculum and training materials;
- Previous experience as trainer of trainers;
- Familiarity with M&E tools and methodologies;
- Proficient written and spoken English language skills;
- Strong interpersonal and advocacy skills;
- Good team spirit and respect for diversity;
- Proficiency is Microsoft Office package.
- Familiarity with at least one of the most widely spoken languages in Gambela (Anuak, Nuer);
- Previous experiences in functional adult literacy and disability inclusive education programmes
Applications (CV and cover letter) should be sent to email@example.com by 10th of September, 2020.
Interviews (via teleconference as well) will be held from 21st of September 2020.