|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||August 31, 2020|
|Category|| Business Development |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
GIZ - Internal and External Vacancy Announcement
GIZ- Energy Programme Ethiopia
As an international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations, the federally owned Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH supports the German Government in achieving its development policy objectives. GIZ promotes complex reforms and change processes.
In Ethiopia, GIZ has been working for more than 40 years in bilateral cooperation on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and on the commission of the Ethiopian Government and other international donors.
Energising Development Ethiopia (EnDev) Ethiopia (being implemented by GIZ) supports a sustainable supply of energy services to lower-income households, social institutions and small to medium sized enterprises with a focus on rural areas. EnDev is a multi-donor and multi-implementer energy access partnership. It is currently financed by six donor countries – the Netherlands, Germany, Norway, the United Kingdom, Switzerland and Sweden. Being part of the global programme, EnDev Ethiopia receives additional co-funding from Ireland, the Korea Foundation for International Healthcare and the European Union.
- Planning, implementation and monitoring of Projects (EnDev Phase III, GEP, IKEA and others) in Oromia Regional office in Solar PV installations and Solar mini-grid and improved cookstove development interventions, together with the team, as per the agreed programme/project objectives, deliverables, milestones and indicators defined in the project/program documents.
- Provision of professional advice/technical assistance to, and cooperate with, beneficiaries, stakeholders and partners in capacity development in the sector.
- Documentation/knowledge management of learning and innovation about aforesaid projects.
- Develop concept notes and term of references as well as follow up consultancy services contracted to handle the projects.
1. Professional advising and consulting
- Contributes to preparation and implementation of the consultation process, the project’s/program’s activities, and efforts at federal and regional level;
- Supervises development and implementation of project/program plans and activities in close coordination with implementing and cooperating partners and Energy Portfolio Ethiopia;
- Conceptualises, facilitates and implements workshops, seminars, and other events on Solar Energy technology and MHP fields in collaboration with the other Energy Portfolio Ethiopia units and sections;
- Develops and organizes quality assurance and proposes necessary changes, improvements, and initiatives;
- Monitors project progress, reviews reports and documents concerning the progress of projects, determines bottlenecks and recommends alternative courses of management action to the Regional Manager
2. Technical processes
- Plans, implements and monitors the project activities in Energy Portfolio in Oromia Regional office as per the overall targets agreed with the management;
- Follow up the implementation of contracts with consultants and other service providers as per the technical standard set out in the project proposals;
- Assist in the technical evaluation of procurement of goods and services;
- Initiate and manages the provision of technical training on solar energy technologies, improved cookstoves, business trainings and so on;
- Design and facilitate business development services for private and public sectors (training, business linkage, etc)
- Ensure that the project development interventions support local economic/value chain development;
- Organise and take part in studies, assessments, surveys, etc in relation to energy portfolio projects with end-users.
3. Networking and Cooperation
- Co-operates with and ensures regular contacts, dialogues: does PR work and cooperates with local communities, relevant organizations, non-governmental bodies and persons within the program’s/project’s environment as well as with other projects in order to enhance and maintain good working relationships
4. Management and Coordination
- Supports Ethiopia Energy Portfolio project planning/develops project designs, including preparation, organization and moderation of planning exercises, implementation, management, monitoring, quality management, evaluation, communication, and documentation;
- Coordinates and prioritises Ethiopia Energy Portfolio project activities at the local level in cooperation with the partners and in the implementation of the programme/projects activities;
- Prepare the budget for key events, activities, periods and related financial documentation in consultation with his team and
- Compiles relevant information for collaborative activities and missions
- Manages the personnel, finance, and infrastructures of the entrusted area of activity and provides guidance to teams and subordinates.
- Represents the interests and always acts on behalf of the GIZ Ethiopia Energy Portfolio program/project.
- Undertakes duties in consultation and collaboration with other Heads/Managers and experts/advisors at Ethiopia Energy Portfolio and partner institutions to ensure smooth communication, for meaningful partnership and ownership, alignment, harmonisation and effectiveness of development aid.
- Carries out tasks relevant to Ethiopia Energy Portfolio and other donors’ project/programme which may not be explicitly mentioned in the job description.
5. Required qualifications, experiences and competences:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in either economics, finance, renewable energies and business management, or any related field;
- Ability to see the broader picture and sector linkages, and up to date with recent policy developments in both financial sector and the energy sector in Ethiopia;
- Excellent conceptual, organizational, moderation, presentation and communication skills, and confidence to present the project, are vital for the position;
- Fluent in English and show competence in working in diverse and international teams;
- Fluent in other languages (e.g. Amharic, German) is an added advantage;
- Willingness to frequently travel to regional offices in Ethiopia.
6. Knowledge Management
- Contributes to the design, storing, processing and dissemination of information and knowledge products.
- Documents and disseminates project experiences, and develops a database of key deliverable and milestones.
- Produce progress and professional reports about technological interventions of the Ethiopia Energy Portfolio;
- Collects and make an inventory of results/achievement of milestones and deliverables, and its effects on the users;
- Organizes and maintains the project/program documentation and filing system at regional level in consultation with other components;
- Prepare articles on case studies best practices and success stories for publication in Ethiopia Energy Portfolio magazines or other relevant journals
Other Duties / Additional Tasks
- Supports EnDev Ethiopia Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation activities as per agreed plan in collaboration with other component managers;
- Ensure the use of office and transport facilities in accordance with the agreement on the use of facilities and
- Assists and/or carries out other program/project activities and any other tasks as assigned
- Master’s degree in either Renewable Energy, Business Management, Economics, political science, public administration, (business) engineering, energy management, environmental studies, development studies or a related field
Professional experience and competencies
- Minimum of 7 years of research and advisory experience in the areas of energy projects, environmental health, hazardous waste management e-waste management and general product lifecycle management.
- Advisory experience in the areas of legal and regulatory framework development and improvement
- Proven experience in financial planning and funds acquisition
- Being familiar with international development cooperation partners such as GIZ EnDev including their approaches and procedures is of advantage.
- Team leader experience
- Extensive networking experience
- Excellent conceptualizing and editorial skills
- Extensive work experience with the Ethiopian private sector
- Extensive project management experience
- Team leader experience
- Fluent in English, Amharic and Afan Oromo Language and show competence in working in different and international teams;
- Fluent in other languages (eg. German) is an added advantage;
- Independent initiative and creative thinking to develop, optimize and present procedures;
- Willingness to frequently travel to other regions in Ethiopia
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Ability to work in a team and with a minimum of instructions
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills.
- very good working knowledge of standard ICT applications of MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) and willingness to obtain proficiency in GIZ-specific applications (MS Teams, OneDrive, OneNote, IDA)