|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||August 3, 2021|
|Category|| Accounting |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
About Digital Green
Digital Green is an International Non-Government Organization (INGO) that empowers smallholder farmers to lift themselves out of poverty by harnessing the collective power of technology and grassroots-level partnerships. We join forces with governments, private agencies and, most importantly, rural communities themselves to co-create digital solutions that are of the community and for the community. In Ethiopia, Digital Green is working in four regions (Amhara, Oromia, Tigray, SNNP) promoting video-enabled extension approach in partnership with the Ministry of Agriculture and Regional Bureaus of Agriculture and Natural Resource. For more information, please visit Digital Green’s website: www.digitalgreen.org.
Digital Green is entering an exciting phase of development as it expands its digital technologies, thematic areas and geographies. As part of this expansion, Digital Green is building a team of exceptional individuals with a passion for finding solutions to pressing development problems, a curiosity about complex issues facing the rural poor, and a drive to tell our story. This is an exciting opportunity to join Digital Green’s growing team in Ethiopia, supporting our ongoing and new development programs.
Reporting to the Head of Finance and Administration, the job holder drives the day-to-day activities of the finance unit, including, but not limited to, the annual audit, monthly and year-end closeout and compliance, budget process, financial reporting, grant/donor reporting, field office accounting, and centralized payroll and IPSAS accounting. The job holder will implement all necessary financial policies, procedures and systems to ensure a sound financial management and control at Digital Green
- Financial Management and Operations
- Responsible for managing Quick Books financial software and monthly accounts close out as per agreed upon deadlines and checklists.
- After review and confirmation from the Head of Finance and Administration, submit monthly financial books to the Global Finance team.
- Responsible to implement accounting policies, systems, and procedures and resolve issues as they arise.
- Ensure adherence to budgets, Grants of Authority, ACSO 80-20 requirements, financial rules and procedures.
- Establish and maintain complete and up-to-date records of transactions and voucher, i.e. review, document, eligible donor charges, and control the use of funds.
- Responsible to monitor cash and spending flow and bank balances n a regular basis to ensure sufficient funds are available in-country.
- Review the documents, i.e. voucher & all relevant supporting evidences, before bank payments and deposits are made.
- Process invoices based on the contracts/agreements, monitor payment schedules, i.e. deliverable and timelines for subgrantees and consultants, and advances aging for DGE staff.
- Maintain track sheets, review, and process partners/contractors for payments.
- Process payments for vendors and subcontractors after deducting withholding tax as per tax regulation.
- Prepare and process payroll, based on input (new hires, termination, promotion, timesheet) provided by HR, and responsible to settle all taxes (income tax, withholding tax, etc) and pension funds with the relevant government offices subsequently.
- Ensure timely payment of personnel insurance premiums on an annual basis as prepaid and amortize it on a monthly basis based of monthly level of effort (LOE). Also, ensure timely payment of annual vehicle and property insurances.
- On a monthly basis, do bank reconciliations, make exchange gain or loss adjustment and close monthly books as per monthly closure and compliance procedure.
- As part of year-end closure, responsible to record accruals, conduct inventory of fixed asset, cash count.
- With the guidance from Head of Finance and Administration, implement the monthly cost allocation policy and ensure support costs are apportioned accordingly.
- Responsible to provide feedback on month-end reporting and internal audit query by global team. And, to make the necessary adjustment or modification or reversal on time when required and as requested.
- Responsible to support the field team through providing a continuous follow-up in the area of financial process, procedure, documentation, donor charges and budget.
Reporting & Documentation
- Maintain internal financial documents (grants, contracts, invoices and receipts) and prepare and submit timely and relevant internal financial documents, external financial documents, and all applications and
- submissions to relevant external authorities, as required.
- Keep proper documentation of financial correspondences, such as bank, insurance, tax authorities.
- Reconcile between the fixed asset register with transaction recorded in QuickBooks Online.
- Organize finance files and ensure books of accounts are up to date at all times, orderly, well kept, and readily available for reference, when required.
Audit & Compliance
- Deliver on all the necessary tasks required, including the timely closure of month-end and year-end accounts and preparation of financial statements, for the organization’s annual internal and external audit.
- Facilitate and provide support for the annual audit of accounts.
- Educate employees/managers and accordingly implement finance systems and controls.
- Determine individual and team goals/metrices with direct reports, assess performance, provide regular feedback, and reinforce performance expectations.
- Supervise and provide guidance to all direct reports
Digital Green is a great place to work and prides itself on a competitive and comprehensive compensation and benefits package. Digital Green is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law
Direct Reports :- Finance and Administration Officer, Finance and Administration Assistant
Qualifications and Experiences
- BA or higher degree in Accounting or Business Administration.
- Advanced degree in Accounting or Finance preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in financial analysis, accounting or financial management.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in the not-for-profit/INGO sector in financial management position is required.
- IPSAS accounting experience will be highly preferred
Knowledge and Skills
- Strong knowledge of analytical tools and applications like Google Sheet, Mail, MS Excel, Access, etc
- Computer skills to generate reports and operate financial software (QuickBooks, QuickBooks Online, etc).
- Proficiency in spoken and written English is a must.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Effective project management and ability to work on multiple projects, or support multiple teams, simultaneously.
- Understanding of government (ACSO, Tax Authority) and donor financial and reporting requirements.
- Ability to work well under pressure and with multiple impeding deadlines
- To be successful as a member of the Digital Green team, you will also