|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||March 22, 2022|
|Category|| Finance |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
The International Rescue Committee, one of the world’s largest humanitarian international NGOs, provides relief, rehabilitation and development support to vulnerable people and communities over 30 countries. We began work in Ethiopia in 2000 in response to severe drought in Ethiopia’s Somali region and are currently providing assistance to Ethiopians and refugees in six regions in Ethiopia, implementing emergency and development programs in health, water and sanitation, economic recovery and development (ERD), women’s protection and empowerment, education, child protection, and multi-sectoral emergency response.
Under direct supervision of the Assistant finance controller, the Senior Finance Manager will be responsible for the overall financial management of the IRC Ethiopia. The position is mainly expected to coordinate treasury and accounting unit function, maintain IRC, doner and government compliances, ensure monthly closing of book and report on time SAF report for HQ, follow-up of unrestricted grant and different foundation grants, ensure on time preparation of bank reconciliation and submit FX report for HQ and prepare annual financial report for government report and lead the annual closing of IRC Ethiopia fiscal year.
- Compliances – Donors, governments and IRC policies and procedures
Ensure Compliances are maintained through quality financial documents review and quality and timely reporting in line with donor, IRC and gov’t policies and guideline. IRC country office and field office authorization matrix updated timely and all signatories timely added for effective workflow. The monthly VAT report prepared for USG grants and gov’t and follow up with grant focal for USG VAT reimbursement. Develop tracker and ensure timely settlement of PIT, WHT, etc to government authorities. Audit files maintained and updated (policy documents, internal controls checklists, document review feedback, BSR, DOA, etc)
· Ensure all PR reviews per the approved budget, donor compliance, and IRC policies
· Review bid analysis and payment requests per the procurement SOP and IRC policy
· Ensure all payment approvals are done based on the approved authorization matrix
· Update authorization matrix regularly are shared for respective staffs after approval
· Ensure all advances are settled per the policy and follow the timely settlement per the IRC policy
· Ensure all monthly SPC costs are charged to grants and make sure to comply to the policy
· Follow-up of USG VAT refund request in a timely manner and follow-up gov’t VAT report
· Ensure segregation of duties per the internal control policy
· Report policy violation to supervisor
· Provide orientation for new IRC staffs and aware of main financial requirements
· Maintain audit file
· Update internal controls checklist
· Monitor and maintain DOA files
· Prepare BSR and fag any financial exposure monthly
· Timely PIT, WHT, etc settlement
· Timely submission of all internal reports including SAF, expat payroll information, BSR, Cash needs, etc
- Main office and field office support and financial reporting
Deliver quality financial reports timely and involve in strengthening main and field office financial management and reporting. Develop tools to monitor and manage the unit tasks properly. Ensure the team will effectively discharge their responsibility through close follow up and confirm timely delivery of the monthly hardcopy and softcopy reports. Provide constructive feedback for any irregularities that observed while document review and follow up to ensure corrections has made. Arrange on job training on financial reporting to enhance staff capacity at least 1 staff per month. Submit monthly financial reports to supervisor for review and HQ timely. Report any red flag to supervisor observed during quality documentation reviews.
· Follow up with field offices on delivering both soft-copy and hard-copy financial reports timely.
· Ensure field offices reports are complete by availing all the necessary support documents
· Ensure all field offices submitted their SPC mapping and run field SPC transaction on monthly
· Ensure field offices reports are accurate by ensuring proper Account code, T1, T2, T3, T6 and T7
· Following up low performing field office and provide the support required for those specific field offices
· Following up with field teams for any variance with their report
· Review comments identified by Addis team before sharing to field offices
· Arrange a schedule for on job-learning opportunity for all field office staffs to update themselves on all finance areas from source document process to SAF report
· Ensure on-time provision of monthly SUN back-up for the field team
· On-time provision of financial pads for field finance and follow up of new pad print based on the remaining balance
· Submit SAF and other internal reports timely
· Report any red flag observed during quality review
· Submission of intercompany transactions for clearance timely
· Develop tools to monitor and manage the unit tasks
- Treasury management
Ensure the country office treasury (cash, bank and FX gain/loss) properly managed through on time payment process, receivable/payable management, ensure the field office and main office cash projection reasonably and realistically prepared, cash transactions are managed daily, and accurate monthly bank and cash reconciliation prepared. New bank accounts are opened, and old accounts are closed as per the organization and local gov’t procedures. Online BVA is closely monitored and paid transactions marked as paid and BVA clean-up conducted daily.
· Ensure on-time payments of approved payment requests to suppliers and IRC staffs
· Working with the team to ensure daily update for bank and cash journals across all offices.
· Ensure all bank account reconciliation prepared every month and ensure clearance of outstanding checks timely
· Ensure on-time transfers of cash to all IRC field office based on their cash projection
· Ensure all field offices submit on-time cash projection, compiled by the team and submitted for AFC review.
· Provide a cash analysis report for DDF to decide the next cash transfer for the country office
· Ensure new bank account opening and closing per the approval
· Ensure the clearance of all balance sheet account promptly
· Ensure proper amortization of all prepayments and on-time report for supervisor for any variance
· Ensure on-time BVA clearance for all paid transactions
· Ensure all Addis staff salary payments on time
· Following up on timely and surprise count
· Conduct regular weekly cash counts
· Ensure BVA cleanup is done daily for paid payments.
· Manage FX gain/loss by monitoring receivable and payable accounts.
- Risk management and Audit
Ensure the monthly pension, Income tax and withholding tax are paid to respective gov’t office on timely schedule. VAT payments are regularly tracked and reported to USAID and gov’t office on monthly bases. Prepare financial reports for government yearly audit and closely work with CHSA auditors and manage any question or concerns efficiently. Develop audit plan, coordinate the team in providing sampled documents to auditors and addressing audit queries. Ensure good relationship with banks, government tax and pension authorities. The country office monthly financial documents are scanned and filled in easily traceable sequence in the box. Identify potential risks and develop a plan to prevent it.
· Ensure monthly pension settlement for all eligible IRC staffs before the deadline
· Ensure monthly settlement of I/Tax and WHT for all IRC offices.
· Ensure the timely process for CHSA audit and avail all
· Ensure all soft copy and scan copy of IRC financial documents are maintained as per the IRC standards
· Prepare financial reports for government audit and develop audit plan
· Ensure on-time delivery of audit documents for all grant audit and government audit by liaison with the archivist.
· Identify potential risk areas, develop plan to prevent/mitigate. When it happens, report immediately to your supervisor for next action.
· Report red flags to your supervisor immediately.
- Financial management – Accounting and reporting
Ensure quality SAF report shared with HQ by 11th of every month unless any special circumstance. Be proactive and team player in bringing the team together and providing support. The country office monthly and quarterly balance sheet report be prepared, and close follow-up and timely correction made in consultation with supervisor and DDF. Monthly gain/loss and balance sheet projection are analyzed and shared with HQ per given deadline. TR and U series grant monthly spending are checked and reported to DDF per deadline. Monthly expat payroll information updated and shared with HQ.
· Prepare donner reports for the assigned grants and follow-up with grant unit for any issues
· Prepare monthly JV for expat payroll and tax.
· Submit monthly expat payroll information before the 15th of every month for HQ
· Ensure monthly submission of SAF file for HQ before the deadline
· Prepare monthly balance sheet projection report before 18th of every month
· Following up monthly submission of gain/loss report
· Following up monthly preparation of payable and receivable to share for respective staffs
· Prepare monthly analytical balance sheet report and share for DDF on 18th of every month.
· Prepare monthly u-series and TR grants report and share for DDF/AFC o 16th of every month.
· Ensure timely update of SUN database update and changes
· Ensure quality controls on each and every accounting transactions to be processed and uploaded to the system.
Applies technical or administrative skills requiring intermediate knowledge of procedures and systems to perform the requirements of the job; skills and knowledge are typically acquired through formal education.
ü 7 years of relevant experience with the first degree.
ü 3 years of relevant experience plus post graduate degree.
ü NGO experience is a plus
ü Knowledge on SUN system is a plus
ü IPSAS based financial statement report knowledge is a plus
ü Proven management skills
ü treasury and grant management experience
ü report preparation skills
ü staff management skill
ü Excellent communication and interpersonal skills