|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||September 10, 2021|
|Category|| Engineering |
IT / Information Technology
|Job Type|| Full-time |
I. TechnoServe Background:
TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses and industries. We are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
II. Program Description:
TechnoServe collaborates with Partners in Food Solutions (PFS), a non-profit organization that aggregates and links the corporate volunteer expertise of leading food companies—General Mills, Cargill, Bühler, DSM, Hershey and Ardent Mills—with promising food industry entrepreneurs in Africa.
Under the anticipated USAID-funded Alliance for Inclusive and Nutritious Food Project, TechnoServe will work alongside PFS to engage local food companies, identify their growth challenges, and link them with volunteer experts from PFS corporate partners. The project will build the efficiency and inclusiveness of food processing sectors – improving production and profitability, increasing linkages with smallholder farmers, and growing distribution channels to better reach Base of the Pyramid (BoP) markets. Implementation is anticipated for up to five years delivering services across Ethiopia, Tanzania, Kenya and Zambia.
III. Position Description:
The Senior Food Processing Specialist is the technical lead overseeing the provision of strategic technical advisory services to food processors at country level. S/he will engage with selected small and growing food processors, with primary focus on clients requiring more advanced, customized technical support. S/he will collaborate with other team members in-country and across the project, to ensure coordinated and impactful implementation.
The Senior Food Processing Specialist will report to the Country Program Manager.
· Implement an objective, equitable, and transparent process for selection of processors who will contribute to intended program impacts based upon agreed selection criteria and pathways to impact. Particular attention must be given to representation of women-owned or -managed processors.
· Lead the team to develop objective parameters to evaluate processors based on concept notes, interviews and site visits, and verification of information supplied in the initial application.
· Conduct final selection based upon consultation with the country program team and Program Manager as well as PFS counterparts.
· Ensure that all selection processes are documented in hard and soft copy client specific files.
· Maintain a pipeline of sufficient clients to ensure adequate engagement of PFS experts.
Processor Assessment and Categorization
· Develop processing facilities quality assessment tools in consultation with the Food Processing Advisor.
· Conduct a diagnostic quality assessment of each of the selected processors to identify priority business and technical challenges.
· Share and discuss the assessment with the client to verify findings, seek clarifications, and ensure a common understanding of the priorities. Use appropriate interview and business advisory methodologies to dig deeper and ensure that the root problems are identified.
· Categorize selected processors partners into predefined segments to pair them with the appropriate level and sophistication of technical advice.
Processor Relationship Management
· Ensure signing and management of client agreements, including extensions as necessary, and graduation.
· Ensure regular communication with clients to maintain their satisfaction with project support and early identification of any problems.
· Support the Food Processing Specialist to develop and deliver standardized trainings and quick win solutions, or charters that are more straightforward.
· Work with the Food Processing Specialist and Market Linkages Specialist to facilitate university student internships/ apprenticeship initiative with foundational processors.
· For more sophisticated clients with more complex needs, develop and facilitate alignment on a project charter for each processor.
· Facilitate processors to adopt policies and practices that create safer and more equitable work environments for women.
· Source and facilitate relevant expertise from PFS partner company volunteer experts to support the food processors. Liaise between volunteers and processors to ensure clear expectations and smooth communication.
· Plan activities to ensure that the shared objectives are met within the set times and resources and that impact is maximized.
· Provide on-the-ground support for implementation of technical advice, on issues including product quality improvement, new product development, equipment upgrading, compliance with international standards, marketing, and branding.
· Provide business coaching as appropriate.
Sector Wide Trainings
· Support the project Capacity Development Lead/Training Manager, PFS experts, and local training institutes with technical input on identification of appropriate topics and development of curricula for Sector Wide Training in support of broader industry development related to food processing.
Liaise with both the Food Processing and Market Linkages Specialists to:
· identify processors with an interest to improve supply chain linkages to smallholder farmers.
- identify processors with an interest to market nutritious products to low-income markets.
- support, as necessary, client communication and coordination on these areas.
Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning
- Preparation (compilation) of monthly program report for sharing with the Chief of Party, M&E Manager and PFS.
- Preparation (compilation) of the quarterly Program Status Report (PSR) and participation in calls to discuss.
- Contribution of data and narrative sections as required for the 6-monthly donor report.
- Ensure timely collection and reporting of M&E data in coordination with the M&E Manager.
- Regular coordination with the Regional M&E Manager to facilitate data capture and reporting.
- Participate in regional and country level staff meetings sharing learnings, challenges faced and solutions identified.
· Ensure activities carried out are in accordance with TechnoServe and donor requirements.
- When required by the Program Manager, coordinate with local stakeholders, participating in relevant industry forums and represent the project at the country level
· When required by the Program Manager, work with stakeholders operating in the same space including the government and regulatory authorities to ensure that the project contributes to the national food security and nutrition agenda.
- Bachelor’s degree in Food Science or related area, Master’s degree preferred.
- At least 7 years' work experience in food processing, with at least 2 workings in a manufacturing plant.
- Proven track record in providing technical solutions to food processors.
- Knowledge of Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) and Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP) as well as worker safety.
- Strong project management and analytical skills.
- Strong interpersonal and cross-cultural skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and good computer skills in business software (Excel, MS Project, and PowerPoint).
- Strong English skills.
Qualified and interested applicants should Click here to apply for this position and submit a cover letter resume as a single document (either Word or PDF) by September 17, 2021. Applications will be reviewed and considered as received/on a rolling basis. Please note that we are not accepting CVs that are not send through the indicated link.
TechnoServe encourages diversity in all levels and across all facets of our organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, ages, HIV/AIDS status, protected veteran status, disability and all other protected classes
TechnoServe has the right to cancel this advertisement.
Women are highly encouraged to apply.