|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||July 7, 2021|
|Category|| Health Care / Medical |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
|Position Title||Senior Health Assistant|
|Duty Station||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Type of Appointment||SVN, Six months with possibility of extension|
|Estimated Start Date||As soon as possible|
|Posting Period||02.07.2021 – 15.07.2021|
Organizational Context and Scope
IOM Established in 1951, is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, inter-governmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief Migration Health Officer and the direct supervision of the Emergency Health Coordinator, the incumbent will be required to work as a member of the IOM Health team for the successful implementation of IOM Emergency Health related projects in the country.
The incumbent will be based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia with travel to the field and will undertake the tasks outlined below:
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
1. Support the Emergency Health Coordinator in the overall implementation and monitoring of IOM’s static clinics and MHNTs operations including, but not limited to:
· Conducting rapid health and nutritional assessments to identify key and urgent needs.
· Supporting the IOM emergency migration Health officer in provision of emergency health care services including preventative and curative consultations, mass and routine vaccination campaigns and reproductive health care in field locations.
· Identify any unmet gaps and needs and adjust as necessary by facilitating training of MHNT clinical service providers in coordination with the Emergency Health Coordinator and MHNT staff.
2. Provide supportive monitoring and capacity building to MHNT staff on the implementation of Primary Health Care activities and ensure coordination of the health team as well as linking IOM with appropriate clusters/agencies at national and state levels.
3. Provide periodic technical updates of all IOM health activities and Documentation/dissemination of best practice materials in close coordination with the Emergency Health Coordinator and field staff in all locations.
4. Act as focal point for entering and analyzing weekly and monthly data, give feedback to field team with technical advice and contribute to regular reporting on project achievements, challenges encountered, pertinent developments and strategic needs for IOM health programs in collaboration with the Emergency Health Coordinator and migration health officer.
5. Where necessary support to represent IOM health at relevant coordination meetings and maintain coordination and cooperation with health cluster partners including WHO, UNICEF, UNFPA, NGOs and other partners in the field.
6. Support monitoring and analyze of the projects’ progress towards achievement of indicators, outputs, and outcomes, specifically aimed at increasing effectiveness, recommending specific actions for improvement, and assist in coordinating the development of evaluation protocols.
7. Field travel is required.
8. Perform such other related duties as may be assigned.
- University degree from an accredited academic institution in Nursing, Health Officer or Public Health with at least seven years of relevant professional and progressive experience.
- MPH is added advantage.
Experience & Skills
- Experience in implementing health services for migrants, refugee and displaced persons and other vulnerable groups; including early recovery or post crisis emergency health programming.
- Experience in coordinating and liaising with government authorities, and other national/international institutions.
- Experience in the knowledge, structures and functions of primary health care system and international health agencies and donors.
- Experience with IOM internal project operations an advantage.
- Work and/or academic experience focusing on migrant/mobile and/or at-risk groups preferably.
- Ability to understand the Organization’s structure and portfolios.
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously in a team of colleagues of varied cultural and professional backgrounds.
- Ability to manage large groups of beneficiaries.
- Proven ability to produce quality work accurately and concisely according to set deadlines.
- Practical experience of how-to multi-task, prioritize and work independently.
- Strong analytical and reporting skills.
- Good communication and negotiation skill.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality is mandatory.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Working knowledge of other local languages is an advantage.
Values and Competencies
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application/ motivation letter enclosed with only detail CV written in English via our e-mail address RECADDIS@IOM.INT, by July 15, 2021 the latest, referring the position title, vacancy number and the duty station in the subject line of your email. No photocopies of educational/training certificates are required at this stage; applicant who doesn`t follow the required application procedure will automatically be disqualified from the competition.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
We strongly encourage qualified women to apply!