|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||August 31, 2020|
|Category|| Business Administration |
Human Resource / HR
|Job Type|| Full-time |
The Senior HR Officer provides practical, timely support, advice and direction to Concern staff and managers on the full life cycle of HR activities. Activities and support include; HR policy and procedures interpretation, donor and legal regulations as well as provides support on employee relations, compensation and benefits practices. The Senior HR Officer will have the overall responsibility of HR functions including the new employee orientation, handle front-line employee inquiries and will work, in close coordination with the HR & Admin Manager for the implementation of HR functions. Support the implementation of training and development activities.
Main duties and responsibilities:
Human Resources Management
· Raises HR-related issues with managers in a proactive and diplomatic fashion, identifying practical solutions and appropriate action plans;
· Reviews, revises and streamlines general HR procedures and forms to enhance efficiency and effectiveness;
· Collaborates with the recruiting team to analyze and generate offers of employment, with a focus on applicability of Concern policy as related to allowances and other applicable benefits;
· Utilizes outside resources in order to address employee issues and concerns as needed;
· Conducts exit interviews, identifying trends and recommending actions to address concerns;
· Develops and maintain periodic human resources reports for management, utilizing standard HR-related metrics;
· Develops, updates, implements and/or communicates personnel policies and procedures in compliance with standard HR practices, laws and regulations
- Assist management to draw up relevant job descriptions and person specifications that fits into the requested job.
- Support the HR team during recruitment on selection and interview whenever necessary.
- Ensure new employees are familiar with all Concern employment procedures and the contents of the HR manual and ensure updated versions of the handbook are circulated to all staff on bi-annual basis.
- Provide briefing on PDR for new staff members and assist existing staff in completing their PDR;
· Organizing induction programs for new staff joining Concern in consultation with concerned departments;
- Prepare contract for new employees and responsible to provide respective person on timely manner.
Payroll, Compensation & Benefit Management;
- Manage the preparation of all staff payroll and timely disbursement of salaries or other employee benefits accordingly by updating any payroll changes accurately and timely.
· Understands and is able to serve as back-up on all functions completed by the fellow Senior HR Officer, including payroll, HRMIS, onboarding and off-boarding.
- Provide advice to staff and managers in relation to pay, taxation and Life and accident Insurance.
- Ensure manual records are accurately maintained and updated regularly in line with data protection.
- Under the direction of the HR & Admin Manager to be responsible for the compilation and submission of salary related matters.
- Prepare Letter of Metric Increase to all staff of any changes in pay.
- Maintain absolute discretion and maturity in handling sensitive/confidential data.
- Administers benefits programs such as medical/insurance reimbursement, annual leave, sick leave, leave of absence, and employee assistance.
Training & Development:
- Identify training and development needs within an organisation through job analysis, appraisal schemes and regular consultation with Systems Director and Human Resources Department.
- Design and expand training and development programmes based on the needs of the organisation and the individual
- Work in a team to produce programmes that are satisfactory to all relevant parties in an organisation, such as line managers and senior managers at SMT level.
- Consider the costs of planned programmes and keep within budgets as assessing the return on investment of any training or development programme is becoming increasingly important
- Facilitate and organize local and overseas staff trainings;
- Produce training materials for in-house courses
- Manage the delivery of training and development programmes and, in a more senior role, devise a training strategy for the organisation
- Ensure all duties are carried out in accordance with Health & Safety regulations as given in Health & Safety Manual
- Take the leading role on implementing the internship program of the organizations
Staff Performance Management:
- Support Talent Manager for Performance Management Evaluation process and make sure all staff and managers are aware about how to evaluate and coach staff performance effectively and timely.
- Ensure that managers at all level set appropriate objectives for new recruits for their probation period, undertake timely reviews and advice HR accordingly.
- Following the PDR process, conduct training need analyses to identify key training needs in Concern Ethiopia.
- Provide briefing on PDR for new staff members and assist existing staff in completing their PDR;
Managing Staff Complaint:
- Handle any salary or staff benefits complaints and follow up with the concerned department until the raised complaint is resolved.
- Manage complaints in accordance with the Human Resources Manual.
- Liaise with complainants in a sensitive and appreciative manner.
- Inform the appropriate department manager of any complaint and orovide the necessary feedback to the complainant on timely basis.
- Ensure all employees personal files systematically and update information as necessary.
- Conduct periodic internal audits to ensure compliance with Concern internal policy and labor law
- Responsible for document supports to Auditors.
- Represent the HR & Admin Manager participate in internal/external meetings.
Perform any other assignment given by immediate supervisor.
Concern is committed to responding to emergencies efficiently and effectively in order to help affected people meet their basic needs, alleviate suffering and maintain their dignity. To this end, when emergencies strike and the Ethiopia Programme is to respond, all staff are required to actively participate in the response, regardless of location and contribute to the efforts aimed at achieving the humanitarian objective of the organization.
· Ensure that all HR policies and procedures relating to Concern Ethiopia’s gender equality strategy are implemented
· Ensure that all gender sensitive policies and procedures are fully adhered to during recruitment processes
Contribute to promoting a gender sensitive working environment within Concern Ethiopia
Safeguarding at Concern: Code of Conduct and its Associated Policies
Concern has an organisational Code of Conduct (CCoC) with three Associated Policies; the Programme Participant Protection Policy (P4), the Child Safeguarding Policy and the Anti-Trafficking in Persons Policy. These have been developed to ensure the maximum protection of programme participants from exploitation, and to clarify the responsibilities of Concern staff, consultants, visitors to the programme and partner organisation, and the standards of behaviour expected of them. In this context, staff have a responsibility to the organisation to strive for, and maintain, the highest standards in the day-to-day conduct in their workplace in accordance with Concern’s core values and mission. Any candidate offered a job with Concern Worldwide will be expected to sign the Concern Staff Code of Conduct and Associated Policies as an appendix to their contract of employment. By signing the Concern Code of Conduct, candidates acknowledge that they have understood the content of both the Concern Code of Conduct and the Associated Policies and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these policies. Additionally, Concern is committed to the safeguarding and protection of vulnerable adults and children in our work. We will do everything possible to ensure that only those who are suitable to work or volunteer with vulnerable adults and children are recruited by us for such roles. Subsequently, working or volunteering with Concern is subject to a range of vetting checks, including criminal background checking.
Qualification and Experience
· BA/BSc degree in Human Resource Management, Business Management, Public Administration or relevant field with minimum 6 years’ experience, of which 3years in senior level;
· MA is advantageous with 3 years’ experience in senior level;
· Min 3 years NGO experience
- Ability to Self-management
- Communicating and working with others
- Ability to work with minimum supervision;
- Ability to multi-task and work within deadlines;
- Proficient in use of Microsoft applications, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint & Outlook (or similar software);
- Knowledge of databases and skills needed to access, assess, and analyze information; Basic analytical and statistical skills
- Good Knowledge of HR practice, policy and procedures
- Understanding of Ethiopia labor law
- Professional experience related to Human Resource Management in NGO setting
- Knowledge of international humanitarian standards for Human Resource Mgt.
· Fluency in English & Amharic, other local languages will be an asset
· Managing your self
· Communicating and working with others
· Delivering Results
· Planning and Decision making
· Creativity and Innovation
What we offer:
· A competitive salary and benefit package
· Excellent medical benefits (100% cover including dependents)
· 20 days annual leave
· 26 weeks (paid) maternity leave, 18weeks(unpaid) parental leave
Opportunities to travel overseas and gain international experience
Interested applicants should send non-returnable C.V., application letter outlining how their experience and education fit this vacancy, please note that no need to submit your supporting documents at this stage:
Apply through ethiojobs.net, or in Person to Concern Worldwide Office Addis Ababa Office.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted