|Date Posted||July 30, 2021|
|Category|| Health Care / Medical |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
In cooperation with the German Professional Association of Gynecologists, the TARGET Higher Obstetrics Specialty Clinic opened its doors in June 2015 in Afar region at the border of Tigray, and tries to address the medical problems of genitally mutilated girls and women (FGM I to III) as well as emergency obstetrics, which is especially acute in remote regions such as the one of our clinic. In Afar, 91.6 per cent are mutilated, with the majority having undergone FGM Type II and III. This poses great risks for girls and women, in particular during labor.
Our clinic is equipped and designed according to European standards. In addition to gynecological and obstetrics care, emergency procedures such as caesarean sections and minor obstetric and gynecological surgeries incl. defibulation of FGM Type III are also undertaken. Currently we have about 35 births and an average of 2 cesarean sections a month, with these figures set to increase further in future. We aim to increase the number of defibulations in particular as well as improve our FGM consultations in the clinic.
The clinic is operated through a national team of anesthesia-technicians, nurses and midwives, a pharmacist, laboratory technicians, a gynecologist, and IESO as well as a German technician. Regular visits of European volunteer gynecologists, midwives, nurses and anesthesiologists are furthermore supporting the national team and provide training. TARGET Human Rights Organization has already established a strong presence in the region for more than a decade, working closely with Islamic and Clan representatives in the region. TARGET intervenes without any affiliation to politics, religion or financial profit.
The junior anesthetist/anesthesia technician/nurse anesthetist provides treatment and care for both adult and neonatal patients of the clinic. He/ She will collaborate with the national and international nursing colleagues, medical and technical personnel, to deliver the highest possible standards of care and treatment.
Duties of this Position
- Collect and analyze body fluids, tissue and other substances to determine normal or abnormal findings; Possible lab test and parameters include, for example: CBC incl. hemoglobin and platelet count, blood grouping and antibody screening, HIV test, urine test, pregnancy test, stool test, bilirubin test, newborn heel prick blood test, testing of liver and kidney parameters as well as creatine-value testing und alanine aminotransferase testing, glucose-value testing, pH-value testing, TSH-value testing, CRP-value testing blood-gas analysis.
- Analyze and record test results in order to issue reports that utilize graphs, charts and narratives; maintain patient confidence by keeping laboratory information confidential.
- Assist medical doctors in microscopy of vaginal fluids.
- Translating Afar-English for international staff as requested.
- Maintain a sterile environment in the laboratory and adjoining toilets.
- Maintain daily and clean all instruments and perform quality control.
- Assist with orientation of new staff.
- Ensure safety for patients and colleagues; adhere to zero-tolerance-principle to alcohol and drugs (incl. chat).
- Occasional work in pharmacy whenever pharmacist is absent from work (in exchange for the same with pharmacist) – an introduction and work flow of the two departments is necessary beforehand.
- Participating in any duties involved with the care of patients, and the smooth running of the clinic and project implementation, which are not specifically laid down in the document or any duties you may be required to carry out as requested by senior medical personal or project coordinator
- TARGET Higher Obstetrics Speciality Clinic in Farras Dagge, Konnaba Woreda, Afar Zone 2, Ethiopia
You can expect a varied, challenging job in a committed team from which you will learn a lot. The net salary incl. hardship allowance will be around ETB 11,030 .You want to work with us against the cruel practice of FGM? Send your application comprising of your CV with two reference or work experience letters incl. that of your latest work. Also send us your letter of motivation mentioning the earliest job entry date, explaining why you want to work in our clinic against FGM and what your professional future should look like.
Employment: staff (Permanent)
Location / Work Place: Konnaba Woreda, Afar Zone 2
- Valid Ethiopian ID
- Degree or Diploma and at least 4 years’ experience in a similar clinical setting as well as current registration on the respective professional register of Ethiopia (professional license)
- Experience with International Organization or NGO is an asset;
- Level : Senior (+4 years professional experience)
- Excellent self-motivation and commitment; availability to work flexible times (including evening and night)
- Precision, punctuality and honesty
- Knowledge of Afar language is necessary; good command of English
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills for optimal patient care are required
- Commitment to excellence and customer service
- Willing to work at unsocial work hours and with sudden changes in work schedules
Ms .Axumawit Fitsum
Kindly use ‘Senior Laboratory Technician’ as reference for your email. Application deadline is 15 August 2021 (midnight Ethiopian Time).
While we appreciate all applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. As this is a rolling application, we reserve the right to hold tests and interviews prior to the application deadline.