|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||April 7, 2020|
|Category|| Business Administration |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the
benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and
inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female
candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all
IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered
before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. External female candidates:
3. Candidate from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Cook Islands; Cuba; Djibouti;
Fiji; Gabon; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom
of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People's Democratic Republic (the); Latvia;
Libya; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro;
Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Papua New Guinea; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint
Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe;
Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga;
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states of IOM and
Under the direct supervision of the Head of Special Liaison Office (SLO) and Chief of Mission
(CoM), Intergovernmental Authority for Development (IGAD) and the United Nations Economic
Commission for Africa (ECA), the successful candidate will provide authoritative advice and
support to the CoM in the execution of the mission’s strategic liaison and programming functions
with the African Union (AU).
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Develop, maintain, nurture and grow IOM’s relationship and portfolio of work with all relevant
departments of the African Union Commission (AUC) with a view to ensuring that migration
issues are appropriately reflected in all relevant policies and programmes of the AU.
2. Manage, supervise and coordinate the overall liaison activities with the AUC and direct and
provide advice and guidance to the Special Liaison Unit team working on the AUC, leading
strategic planning, project development and management and systematic coordination with UN
agencies in the context of the UN Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework
3. Represent or ensure proper representation of IOM and promote its expertise and activities in
regional and continental development cooperation frameworks, especially with the AUC and its
development partners such as the European Union, Japan and others.
4. Develop and prepare regular policy and guidance notes to IOM offices and donors on the
continent to ensure IOM work on the continent is consistent and supportive of AUC direction on
migration related issues.
5. Promote and advocate for areas of collaboration with other UN agencies on migration in
support of the AUC, provide policy support and lead the development of joint regional programs.
6. Assess and endorse IOM’s contribution to existing regional and continent-wide joint
programmes on the full range of migration thematic areas i.e. across the
7. Lead and advise on IOM’s input for the preparation of and participation in continental policy
discussions, debates and positions with relevant Headquarters (HQs) departments, IOM
missions in Africa and other counterparts.
8. Ensure the timely preparation of standard briefing notes, and prepare reports and policy
updates on IOM activities for various regional dialogues.
9. Ensure that senior IOM staff are well-prepared for participation in key AUC meetings and are
aware of background information and preparatory discussions leading up to those meetings.
10. Provide expert analysis and authoritative advice on the implications for IOM of key AUC
documents, discussions and decisions, including on migration-relevant programmes, particularly
those of relevance to IOM development, peacebuilding and humanitarian operations.
11. Prepare responses to requests from IOM regional, continental and global partners on
migration issues relevant to the SLO.
12. Prepare papers and other documents on key continental migration policy issues, including
as they intersect with other policy domains, and authoritatively contribute to policy and
programme formulation by regional and continental bodies.
13. Ensure that all programming, financial and administrative matters related to the Special
Liaison Unit (SLU) are effectively managed, in line with established IOM rules and regulations
as well as the Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
14. Ensure the quality of outputs and results with optimal monitoring mechanisms; establish
effective coordination, monitoring, information sharing and reporting systems in the unit.
15. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Social Sciences, Political Science, Law, International Relations, Conflict
Studies, Economics, Development Studies and Public Administration or a related field from an
accredited academic institution with seven years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with nine years of relevant professional experience.
• Proven work experience in the development sector, including liaising with regional multilateral
• Experience in the field of migration issues including policy research and/or field experience;
• Experience in liaising with governmental authorities, other national/international institutions and
Non-governmental organisations (NGOs);
• Excellent drafting capabilities, communication and negotiation skills.
• Good analytical skills, ability to interpret information, identify and analyse problems;
• Thorough understanding of concepts and current development related to migration;
• Experience in the area of multilateral and inter-state cooperation on migration;
• Good understanding of migration policy and practice, and inter-regional migration dynamics;
• Good knowledge of project development, administration and evaluation concepts and
• Proficient level of computer literacy, with proficiency in MS Windows / MS Office applications.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of any
other AU working language(s) is an advantage.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural
differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner
consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed
manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve
shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely
manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes
responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains
complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the
ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling
environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and
communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations.
Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain
eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in
the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are
nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment,
accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No
late applications will be accepted.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment
system, by 14 April 2020 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment
system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 01.04.2020 to 14.04.2020
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview,
processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank
Requisition: VN 2020 62 Senior Liaison Officer (AUC) (P4) Addis Ababa, Ethiopia (56390170) Released
Posting: Posting NC56390171 (56390171) Released