|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||August 31, 2020|
|Category|| Business Development |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Full Time Position of 40 hours per week
Reporting to: Ethiopia Program Manager
The Freedom Fund is launching the setup phase for a project that will connect women survivors of trafficking and domestic servitude with formal, long-term employment in businesses operating within Ethiopia. We are seeking a full-time Senior Program Officer based in our Addis Ababa office to support the set-up and implementation of the project.
About the Freedom Fund
The Freedom Fund (www.freedomfund.org) is a leader in the global movement to end forms of child labour, trafficking and bonded labour. It:
- generates private funding by demonstrating how effective interventions can protect those at risk.
- invests in those countries and sectors with the greatest incidence of trafficking, bonded labour and child labour.
- analyses which interventions work best and shares that knowledge.
- brings together those committed to ending exploitation and empowered by the knowledge of how best to do so.
The Freedom Fund has programs in India, Ethiopia, Thailand, Myanmar, Nepal and Brazil. It currently supports and funds over 100 organisations in these countries, the vast majority of which are frontline, community-based NGOs.
About the position
The successful Senior Program Officer candidate will have a range of responsibilities, including setting-up the project, producing feasibility reports, developing terms of reference, managing grants or loans to local partners, conducting site visits, monitoring results of project progress, and convening meetings and events for partners, government officials, and other stakeholders. The job training and employment project will be complementary to Freedom Fund’s current Ethiopia Hotspot Program. Information about the Freedom Fund’s Ethiopia Hotspot can be found here.
The Senior Program Officer will be an employee of the Freedom Fund’s Addis Ababa office and will be provided workspace to successfully carry out the deliverables listed below.
The Senior Program Officer will provide advisory services through coordination with other team members and report to Freedom Fund staff based outside Ethiopia. He/she will also be supported by a lead consultant based in the UK with expertise related to employment programs. The Senior Program Officer role will include the following responsibilities:
- Provide advice to the Freedom Fund for setting-up and establishing a job training and employment project, working closely with the Freedom Fund team and coordinating with local officials and other key stakeholders in order to achieve project goals and objectives.
- Draft terms of reference for the successful establishment and implementation of the project.
- Assist with undertaking a market mapping exercise of potential service providers.
- Identify and provide recommendations of service providers and local partners.
- Conduct the due diligence on potential service providers and local partners and support the partner selection process.
- Assist in identifying and screening potential participants for the project.
- Coordinate logistics and lead program site visits with Freedom Fund representatives and other donors.
- Represent the Freedom Fund at relevant meetings and events.
- Provide ongoing project and program monitoring, including with local service providers and partners via telephone, in-person meetings, and regular office and project site visits.
- Provide capacity building support to local service providers, including with regard to contract management processes.
- Provide financial oversight of project budgets and work with Freedom Fund staff to ensure strong financial management and reporting of service providers and local partners.
- Support the coordination of program-level research and evaluation projects as may be needed.
- Coordinate various meetings for a diverse range of stakeholders, including local partners, government stakeholders, and other service providers.
- Contribute to the strategic planning for next stages of project development.
- Communicate progress, challenges, and lessons learned related to project deliverables with members of the Freedom Fund team on a regular basis.
- Carry out other relevant assignments on behalf of the Freedom Fund, as directed.
- USD $32,000 per annum, depending on experience
- 11% pension contributions
- 33 days holiday pro rata, inclusive of public holidays
Qualifications and experience
- The Freedom Fund seeks an energetic, thoughtful and committed Senior Program Officer. The successful candidate will have experience working with poor and marginalised communities and a track record of implementing development programs with a strong economic development and monitoring and evaluation background.
- 5-7 years of experience in project management/coordination and community development in Ethiopia.
- Experience in engaging with a range of stakeholders and coordinating with government stakeholders
- Experience in conducting due diligence assesments, financial reviews and organisational capacity assessments.
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation of local partners and programs, including data collection, data management, and financial monitoring.
- Grant management experience on behalf of international organisations to local civil society organisations.
- Knowledge and experience working on anti-human trafficking and modern slavery initiatives; experience in other key areas such as workers’ rights, economic empowerment, mental health, and migration, an asset.
- Fluent in Amharic and English.
- High proficiency with Microsoft Office tools (especially Word and Excel)
- Knowledge of the the business sector within Ethiopia.
- Knowledge of migrant worker experiences and rights.
- Knowledge of TVETs and other job training institutions within Ethiopia
- Team player committed to the Freedom Fund’s values and passionate about human rights issues.
- Ability to build relationships with a wide range of individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to work independently, displaying strong initiative in solving day-to-day problems with limited direction.
- Detail oriented, with ability to manage, track and organise data, including numerical data.
- Willingness and ability to travel, as required.
Due to the volume of inquiries, only candidates offered an interview will be contacted. Regrettably we will not accept phone calls.
Applications should be submitted in English and include a CV, cover letter (maximum one page) and contact details of three referees.
Please send applications by email in PDF format to email@example.com, including ‘Ethiopia Senior Program Officer in the subject line before 9am GMT on Friday 11 September 2020.
Please note that only candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted. No phone calls please. No agencies please.
The Freedom Fund is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply for this position. Applicants must be eligible to work in Ethiopia.
The Freedom Fund is committed to the importance of meaningful survivor inclusion and leadership. As such, particular consideration will be given to applicants with lived experience of trafficking and/or forms of modern slavery.