|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||January 31, 2020|
|Category|| Business Administration |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
|Position Title||Senior Project Assistant - Durable Solution|
|Duty Station||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Type of Appointment||SVN, Six months with possibility of extension|
|Estimated Start Date||As soon as possible|
|Posting Period||27.01.2020 – 10.02.2020|
Under the direct supervision of the Durable Solutions Coordinator of the UN Resident Coordinator’s Office (RCO), the candidate shall be responsible for carrying out duties related to the implementation of the Durable Solutions Initiative (DSI). The Senior Project Assistant will facilitate all programmatic, administrative and logistical matters related to the DSI. The Senior Project Assistant will be based in the RCO’s Durable Solutions Secretariat, which is hosted in IOM’s premises to facilitate exchanges and synergy building with IOM programmes.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Manage and monitor a large and diversified volume of complex correspondence and documentation, often of confidential and sensitive nature; ensure appropriate routing, reply, prioritization, accuracy, consistency, informal translation and timeliness; bring complex, sensitive or priority issues to the supervisor’s attention;
2. Produce durable solutions documents, including talking points, background briefs, project documents, communication materials and other key documents for revision.
3. Lead the planning and organization of high-level meetings, other events and trainings related to the DSI, in coordination with the governmental and international partners both in Addis Ababa and in the regions.
4. Coordinate with the relevant partners, the missions of the RC/HC’s Special Advisor on Displacement, including obtaining business visas, scheduling appointments and arranging travels to the field.
5. Review the Amharic translations of DSI texts, to ensure quality work and conformity with international concepts/notions on durable solutions;
6. Coordinate with Procurement, Finance, HR, and Logistics units of the RCO and IOM Addis Ababa to ensure that requests of the team are met.
7. Coordinate and monitor all logistical needs of the staff of the Durable Solutions Secretariat, including communication, transportation, travel authorizations, security clearances and staff flight booking support, including for consultants and seconded staff members.
9.Facilitate new staff set up and orientations (flight/pick up, email account creation, ID processing, UNDSS security briefing, etc).
10. Liaise with UNDSS and IOM Security Focal Point to ensure up to date information related to field security protocol and advisories related to field operation sites.
11. Provide support to the Durable Solutions Secretariat staff and consultant/seconded staff on personal administration including contract processing.
12. Establish internal procedures and tracking systems for correspondence and documents; verify that work is done in accordance with corporate standards; monitor work progress;
13. Travel as needed to the regions to support the operational implementation of DSI activities.
14. Perform other duties that may be assigned.
- University Degree in Social Sciences, business administration, or other relevant field with a minimum of 8 years of progressively responsible experience preferably in humanitarian context in Ethiopia.
- Proven experience in record keeping, reporting and project implementation.
- Ability to coordinate project activities with input from colleagues and external partners for the achievement of results.
- Ability to prepare clear and concise reports.
- Ability to develop project strategies and activities based on identified needs.
- Ability to build relations with local government authorities, civil society, beneficiaries and other stakeholders.
- Ability to work independently according to established structures and guidelines, including administrative requirements, and maintain coordination with colleagues and supervisor.
- Personal commitment, drive for results, efficiency and flexibility.
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously in a team and with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds.
- Thorough knowledge of spoken and written English and Amharic.
- Knowledge of local languages is an advantage.
Values and Competencies
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application/ motivation letter enclosed with only detail CV written in English via our e-mail address RECADDIS@IOM.INT, by February 10th , 2020 at the latest, referring the position title and Vacancy number in the subject line of your email; no photocopies of educational/training certificates is required at this stage; applicant who doesn`t follow the required application procedure will automatically be disqualified from the competition.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
We strongly encourage qualified women to apply!