|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||June 24, 2020|
|Category|| Health Care / Medical |
|Job Type|| Contract |
The Government of Ethiopia, as part of the Africa Centres for Disease Control &Prevention Regional Investment Financing Project (ACDCP), has received financial support from the World Bank to strengthen continental and regional infectious disease detection and response systems. The Ethiopian Public Health Institute (EPHI), as the sub-recipient of the Ministry of Health (MOH)is responsible for the administration of a good portion of the project fund which needs considerable efforts to plan, administer, and follow-up. The Project Implementation Unit at EPHI is responsible for the administration of the project fund transferred to the institute and executing procurement activities which require considerable efforts to plan, prepare TORs, evaluate-tenders, award contracts and follow-up on implementations.
For the effective implementation of the project’s sub-componentsagreed to beexecuted by the institute,EPHI is looking for a suitably qualified Project Coordinator who will be responsible for the overall coordination and effective management of the sub-components’ implementation in consistent with agreements, manuals and project documents throughout the life of the project. The coordinator will work closely with EPHI Directorates and Sectionsthat have roles in the project, and work collaboratively with the MOH, WB, Africa CDC and Zambia National Public Health Institute (ZNPHI). The Project Coordinator will provide the required overall supervision and guidance to the project activities.
The objective of this post is to provide EPHI with a capacity to coordinate and implement the project’s sub-components in accordance with the Project Implementation Manual, and preparing project performance reports in a timely manner. This will contribute to the success of the project as a whole. The Project Coordinator is a project management expert who has extensive, in-depth knowledge and experience in project coordination processes, and understands the legal, operational and human resource aspects and is expected to ensure the proper execution of the project at all levels as per the project agreement. The Project Coordinator applies his/her knowledge of expertise to all steps in the project implementation processes which include understanding andpaying due attention to relevant GoE and World Bank requirements for procurement, disbursement, financial management, environmental and social safeguards, etc.
3. SPECIFIC TASKS / ACTIVITIES /
The Project Coordinator will be accountable to the the Director General of EPHI and shall carry out the following activities:
· Coordinate and monitor all activities related to the implementation of the sub-components of theAfrica CDC Regional Investment Financing Project agreed to be executed by EPHI.
· Provide guidance on the preparation of work plans; procurement plans, implementation support and such other project management aspects as shall be required in project implementation which, among others, include agreeingon schedules and formats for the submission of necessary reports and other inputs by implementing Directorates and Sections of the institute..
- Regularly interact with implementing parties to ensure an up-to-date knowledge on project activities, schedules, issues, opportunities, etc.
- Explicitly ensure that implementation of the project’s sub-components by EPHI is in compliance with relevant GoE and World Bank safeguard instruments, fiduciary and that adequate documentations exist to demonstrate compliance.
- Generate, compile and provide feedback on progressesof activity implementations and achievements.
- Identify implementation issues and bottlenecks, and in consultation with the implementing Directorates and Sections actively and creatively seek durable solutions, proactive follow-up with the implementers to agree on and ensure implementation of measures to enhance progress towards achieving the Project Development Objective.
· Ensure efficient and effective implementation of the project activities through close supervision and tracking as per the project agreement.
· Supervise project staff, international and local consultants to ensure effective resource allocation, quality and timeliness of work.
· Foster a team environment, mentor staff, and ensure that capacity building is integrated into all project activities.
· Manage personnel contracts in accordance with the Project Implementation Manual.
· Closely monitor the performance of the project implementation at EPHIand report to Office of the Director General on issues which require timely intervention.
· Prepare regularproject implementation progress reports which indicate both the technical and financial position of the project.
· Supervise and monitor implementation of the procurement plan, and timely identify and address bottlenecks to performance of the procurement function.
· Lead and/or participate in technical meetings related to the implementation of the project as needed.
· Lead and/or participate in public information dissemination activities to assist in communicating the project approach, objectives and activities.
· Maintain all the necessary documentations relevant to the project during the life time of the project
· Liaison with MOH, World Bank’s Country Office, operational staff and consultants to facilitate implementation of the project.
· Coordinate and facilitate all activities for the Bank Supervision Missions and mid-term and full-term reviews of the project implementation.
· Collaborate and liaise with all concerned stakeholders of the project.
- Convene progress review meetings of the implementing parties aimed at addressing emerging issues and identifying opportunities for improving project outcomes.
- Take responsibility for overall project financial status including regular monitoring of commitments and disbursements compared to projections including taking timely and effective action in the event that adjustments to project allocations are needed.
- Receive and review quarterly activity reports from all implementing Directorates and Sections with a view of ensuring completeness and compliance with agreed reporting arrangements
- Prepare project financial quarterly and annual reports.
- Timely submit reviewed quarterly and annual financial and activity reports to the Project Coordination Unit at the Partnership and Cooperation Directorate of the MOH.
· Participate in bidding processes for civil works, goods and services as found necessary.
· Maintain quality assurance and facilitate effective project monitoring and evaluation.
· Work closely and support the Internal and External Auditors on financial reviews.
· Perform any other relevant tasks as assigned and required by the institute.
The Project Coordinator will work closely with Technical Working Groups, EPHI Directorates and Sections that have roles in the project,the MOH, WB, Africa CDC and Zambia NPHI. To ensure the efficiency and quality of work, he/she is expected to use government regulations and WB Guidelines and procedures in the execution of the project.
- The Project Coordinator will report to the Director General of EPHI on allmatters related to the implementation of the project.
- The Project Coordinator will be based at the Project Implementation Unit of EPHIin Addis Ababa and he/she may travel to regions.
6. KEY DELIVERABLES
· Project annual and quarterly reports prepared and submitted as per reporting requirements detailed in the Project Implementation Manual.
· Project Management support to the project activities and required actions taken to ensure progress.
· Work plans, procurement plans, financial management reports and other planning tools from all participating institutions updated regularly.
· Up to date project information captured and shared with all concerned including an effective communication strategy for the project approach, objectives and activities developed and implemented.
· Timely submission of monthly and quarterly progress reports, work plans, procurement plans and all other reports required under the project to the Project Coordination Unit at the Partnership and Cooperation Directorate of the MOH.
· The contract will be for one year but extendable depending on satisfactory performance and the need as of business continuity.
· Masters degree in Public Health, Business Administration, Management, Economics, or any related social Science or development studies.
· At least 10years of professional workexperience preferably with experience in project management or coordination and monitoring and evaluation in international development organizations or programs
· Good written and oral communication skills
· Demonstrated ability to manage a diverse group toward a common objective.
· Demonstrated ability to establish an effective monitoring system and utilize it for improving performance
· Good understanding and experience of the Ethiopian health system policies and strategies is desirable.