|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||November 23, 2022|
|Category|| Other |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
The Agricultural Transformation Institute (ATI) has been established by the Government of Ethiopia (GoE) to identify and address systemic bottlenecks to Ethiopia’s agricultural development. The Institute does this through problem-solving, implementation support, and capacity building of stakeholders involved in implementation of interventions that address the systemic bottlenecks.
ATI provides a unique platform for people who want to achieve their highest potential and make a meaningful contribution in changing the country’s agricultural sector. We offer rewarding work in a young, fast-paced growing organization with passionate, committed, motivated colleagues and excellent career development and training. We recognize our most valuable assets are our staff and are committed to providing our teams with the tools, training and mentorships necessary to achieve their career goals.
The programmatic focus of the Institute responds to a core set of needs identified by the Ministry of Agriculture and other sectors along commodity value chains. Across the programs, the ATI engages public, private, and non-governmental stakeholders to support strategic planning, manage and strengthen implementation capacity and test innovative models. Currently, ATI is tasked to coordinate the revised Agriculture and Rural Development policy agendas of the sector and such sectoral level delegation requires high level expertise in the policy areas and skillsets in coordination and networking with multiple stakeholders.
We have an exceptional team of highly competent employees with a proven track record of success in managing complex activities and achieving transformational results. Our culture is one where talented, dedicated and adaptable individuals are committed to doing their best and exhibit great team work to achieve excellent results.
At ATI, we provide an exceptional platform for people who want to achieve their highest potential and make a meaningful contribution in changing the country’s agricultural sector. We offer rewarding work in a young, fast-paced growing organization with passionate, committed, motivated colleagues and excellent career development and training. We recognize our most valuable assets are our staff and are committed to providing our employees with the tools, training and mentorships necessary to achieve their career goals.
The Crop Value Chain Development SPO-II will report to FPC Grain Team Lead but work on both cereal and horticulture priority commodities selected for the supply of IAIP. The Crop Value Chain Development SPO-II has the responsibility to coordinate and provide technical support for the Inclusive and Sustainable Agricultural Value Chain Development Project (ISAVCDP) and Promotion of Sustainable Ethiopian Agro-industrial Development (PROSEAD) project, mainly the Value Chain Development for Integrated Agro-Industrial Parks (IAIPs) Sustained Growth component. Both projects are working on commodity supply linkage between producers, other key actors and IAIP. The projects will cover all Woredas within the agro-industrial parks catchment areas and all the 11 ACC priority commodities and Pineapple.
The Crop Value Chain Development SPO-II is specifically expected to have strong skills and experience in value chain mapping, Value chain analysis, development of commodity value chains, project management, stakeholder management and coordination, support implementation of value chain upgrading strategies, business planning skills, market studies, Strong networking and relationship building skills with an ability to work with producer SHFs to link smallholders to markets, desire for improving the lives of smallholder farmers, and a deep familiarity to Ethiopia’s agricultural research system with particular emphasis to the marketing of the prioritized ATI commodities. He/she will work with smallholder farmer producers, training institutions, input suppliers, research experts, extension staff, primary cooperatives, Cooperative Unions, processors, and farm service centers and IAIPs to increase production, productivity, and commercialization. The Crop Value Chain Development SPO-II has the responsibility to facilitate value chain platforms for the prioritized commodities.
- Support the establishment of a Value Chain dialogue platform between value chain actors through operational horizontal and vertical platforms and promote an integrated and inclusive model of the value chain.
- Closely work with the Inclusive and Sustainable Agricultural Value Chain Development Project (ISAVCDP) and Promotion of Sustainable Ethiopian Agro-industrial Development (PROSEAD) project coordination units.
- Actively engage to increase participation of and benefit to women and youth along the cluster value chain.
- Work and coordinate the development of information systems and dissemination of marketed information systems, and tools that digitally link producers in the target woreda to the IAIPs in cooperation with the digital agriculture team
- Support the creation of favorable conditions for the development of an integrated agro-industrial park in four regions
- Provide technical support and facilitate B2B dialogue between market actors
- Provide training on contract farming for SHFs, development agents and other key actors.
- Promote contract farming arrangements and facilitate market linkages between ACC producers and large-scale buyers
- Organize VCA meetings for the selected commodity value chain and facilitate experience sharing events. Ensure alignment on the plan for the cluster, effective coordination of relevant stakeholders to address critical issues along the value chain, and monitor progress on agreed actions owned by VCA members
- Foster backward and forward market linkages between value chain actors, and Strengthen private sector involvement in the value chain
- Guide knowledge development and documentation on value chain activities, monitor performance of the value chain activities and local partners to ensure all milestones set in the annual work plan are met
- Support the implementation of Full Package engagement with smallholder farmers, support extension advisory services the 8028 Farmer Hotline with IVR / SMS to disseminate agricultural information
- Establish new or support existing horticulture seed/seedling nurseries design and/or establishment to increase domestic production
- Support sustainable irrigation development around high value and nutrition dense crops
- Establish systematic foundational investments through capacity building of RuSACCOs
- Build the capacity of CBSPs to become self-sustained effective seed producer enterprises
- Ensure the project physical and budget and follow utilization are according to the plan.
- Responsible for compiling and submitting data and monthly updates, quarterly and annual reports of all activities to ensure alignment on project implementation and identify potential risks that could affect the overall performance of the project.
- Master's degree in Agricultural Economics, Development Economics, agribusiness management, or a closely related field
- At least eight (8) years of professional experience in areas of Value chain development
- Good experience in planning and implementation of activities at an organizational level
- Experience in externally funded project management, M & E or leadership
- Excellent stakeholder management skills including thorough knowledge and understanding of various regional level and federal level institutions; extensive experience in facilitating dialogue with relevant public and private stakeholders
- Fluency in English & Amharic required; fluency in regional language(s) is advantageous.
- Excellent oral & written communication skills with a highly collaborative working style.
- Experience in working with multi-cultural teams preferred.
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving, and reporting skills.
- Strong set of personal values including integrity, honesty, and desire to be of service.
- Ability and willingness to shoulder responsibilities under hectic conditions (in terms of overlapping assignments that may happen occasionally).
- Ability to thrive in a fast-moving environment, with an emphasis on high performance, teamwork, accountability, and results