|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||January 25, 2020|
|Category|| Administration |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Assisting 91.4 million people in around 83 countries each year, the World Food Programme (WFP) is the leading humanitarian organization saving lives and changing lives, delivering food assistance in emergencies and working with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience. On any given day, WFP has 5,000 trucks, 20 ships and 92 planes on the move, delivering food and other assistance to those in most need. Every year, we distribute more than 15 billion rations at an estimated average cost per ration of US$ 0.31. These numbers lie at the roots of WFP’s unparalleled reputation as an emergency responder, one that gets the job done quickly at scale in the most difficult environments. WFP’s efforts focus on emergency assistance, relief and rehabilitation, development aid and special operations.
WFP Ethiopia is working with the government and other humanitarian partners to strengthen the resilience of Ethiopia’s most vulnerable population and to chart a more prosperous and sustainable future for the next generation. The Country Office also supports programmes that use food assistance to empower women, transform areas affected by climate change and keep children in school. It aims to contribute to Ethiopia’s five-year development agenda, the Growth and Transformation Plan (GTP), through which the Government combats food insecurity.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
This position is located in WFP Ethiopia Country Office based in Addis Ababa. The incumbent will be under the direct supervision of the Project Manager and overall supervision of the Head of Engineering Unit or the designate. The jobholder will be responsible for the accountabilities identified hereunder.
WFP Ethiopia is looking for a Senior Site Engineer (Civil Engineer) to supervise Construction works at WFP Country office Addis Ababa. The Site Engineer may also be asked to supervise works at WFP facilities including offices, guest houses and warehouses across the Country.
- Supervise construction activities on site.
- Monitor and control the quality of all materials used, and all works carried out by the contractor are in accordance with the contract and national standards.
- Test every construction material before use, send test results for the project manager for decision making.
- Prepare and share daily progress report for CO Engineering unit
- Keep written records and photographs of every stage of the works and produce a final report when the projects are complete.
- Make recommendations to the sub-office/country office to certify works have been completed in accordance with the contract.
- Act as the main technical adviser on a construction site for subcontractors, crafts people and operatives; Setting out, levelling and surveying at the site; Checking plans, drawings and quantities for accuracy of calculations; Ensuring all materials used and work performed are as per specifications.
- Liaise with any stakeholders, community members, consultants, contractors, supervisors and the general workforce involved in the project.
9. Oversee quality control, health and safety matters on site.
10. Resolve any unexpected technical difficulties, and other problems that may arise.
11. Ensure that all construction works being carried out by Contractors on behalf of WFP are executed in accordance with health and safety best practice, and in accordance with Ethiopian Labor Law, and in accordance with the ethics of the United Nations.
12. Perform other duties as required.
- A strong working knowledge of Ethiopian standard construction practice
- Ability to perform civil engineering field tests.
- A willingness to learn new construction methods and adhere to international standards as instructed by WFP Engineers
- Good supervision skills, ability to manage teams of workers and ensure quality
- Ability to speak and write fluently in English and Amharic. Knowledge of the Somali language is a distinct advantage.
- The ability to read drawings, and follow a schedule
- A natural ability to identify and solve problems and ensure progress on site.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel, Autocad and Outlook (Email)
Education: Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate in related functional area. A university degree in Civil Engineering is desirable.
Experience: At least Seven or more years of relevant progressively responsible experience as a Site Engineer working on maintenance and construction projects such as offices, guest houses, etc
Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English. Knowledge of the local language is added advantage.
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Coaches team in the most effective ways to communicate WFP’s Strategic Objectives to WFP team and partners in the field.
- Be a force for positive change: Implements new methods or tools to improve team’s work processes and productivity.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Maps team’s activities and tasks to specific successes in beneficiary communities to showcase positive impact.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Explains to teammates how each unit contributes to the overall WFP mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Identifies skill development opportunities such as training modules or on-the-job experiences for self, colleagues and direct reports.
- Create an inclusive culture: Facilitates team building activities to build rapport in own unit.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Facilitates the pairing of junior colleagues with coaches within own team.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Proactively anticipates potential challenges and develops mitigation plans to ensure that team meets goals and targets.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Identifies opportunities to be creative in own work and to help team be more innovative and accurate in their respective tasks and areas of work.
- Focus on getting results: Monitors team’s deliverables and provides feedback to ensure outcomes are delivered consistently and accurately.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Provides accurate guidance to team on expected responsibilities and tasks, whilst also upholding own commitment to the team.
- Be Decisive: Sets an example and provides guidance to junior team members on when to escalate issues when faced with challenging issues in the workplace or in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Facilitates partnerships with other WFP units to accomplish missions in the field.
- Build strong external partnerships: Sets an example and provides guidance to team on how to build relationships with external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Articulates to colleagues or direct reports the value of contributing to other WFP teams and agency partnerships in fulfilling WFP’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Organizes, monitors, and prioritizes own and team’s efforts to ensure that they will fulfill the needs of internal and external partners.
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.