|Location||Bole Sub City, Wereda 06, Jacros-Salitemehret RD, Near Nexus Hotel, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||March 1, 2021|
|Category|| Consultancy |
|Job Type|| Contract |
Background/Rationale for assignment
The African Charter on the Rights and Welfare of the Child (The African Children’s Charter/the Charter/ACRWC) was adopted by the Assembly of Heads of State and Government of the Organization of African Unity in July 1990, and entered into force in November 1999. The Charter encompasses various provisions which aim at the protection and promotion of children’s rights across Africa. The Charter is an important tool for advancing children’s rights. While building on the same basic principles as the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child, the Children’s Charter highlights issues of special importance in the African context.
The African Committee of Experts on the Rights and Welfare of the Child (ACERWC) has been engaged with partners such as Plan international and Save the Children International in promoting the ACRWC through various communication and promotional mechanisms. As a result the visibility of the ACERWC and the charter has been improved over the last years.
Despite some efforts made by partners to produce child-friendly version of key child monitoring tools such as Guide for Civil Society Organizations on how to engage with the ACERWC, the ACERWC has not yet produced and disseminated the child-friendly version of the charter to the right holders of the charter – the African Children. The existing Charter is not child friendly as language used is not simple and clear. It consists of legal language; it does not provide examples; it is not colorful; and does not use images, it is not also disability friendly.
As a result, children in Africa are not well aware of their rights as the charter has not been presented widely across Africa in a friendly manner and in their own language. In addition, Children also have a right to learn about their rights and the rights of others (Art 11 (b) The Charter). Children have a right to seek, receive and impart information (Art. 7, The Charter) and also know their responsibilities under the charter (Art 31). The lack of a child-friendly version has affected children’s ability to claim their rights and bring about change in their own lives and the lives of other children. Moreover, they have not been able to participate meaningfully in matters that affect their lives.
Considering the lack of a child-friendly version of the African Children Charter, Plan International and Save the Children International would like to invite competent consultants/Consulting firms to produce a child-friendly version of the Charter, which will be a significant contribution the promotion mandate of the ACERWC as we celebrate the 30th Anniversary of the Adoption of the Charter.
For more details and application click the below link:
Qualification, Skills and Experience
- The consultant/consulting firm is required have post graduate qualifications related to Human/Child Rights, and Social Sciences
- Must have an experience in development of Child-friendly documents
- Strong knowledge of the content and application of CRC/ACERWC
- Have a good command of English and ability to change the Charter language used as child-friendly as possible.
- Have experience in facilitating consultations with children.
- Have been vetted to ensure that they do not pose any risk to the safety of children.
- Understand how to work with children in a way that respects their rights.
- Understand and be committed to the principles of children’s rights-based
- Track record of successful completion of past assignments.
- Willingness and flexibility to work within the required deadline.
Price and Payment
- Unless otherwise stated, prices are inclusive of all payable taxes.
- Full payment shall be made after submission of the final document per the contract agreement.
- The developed child-version of the ACRWC and all confidential information must be submitted to the Plan AULO.
- All documents should be submitted in soft copies to the Plan AULO.
Consultant/ Consulting firm should submit both Technical and financial proposal for the development of the child-friendly version document to the following address: AULiaisonOffice@plan-international.org no later than March 1, 2021 at 1700hrs (GMT+3).