|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||September 30, 2021|
|Category|| Construction |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Internal/External Vacancy Announcement
Driven by the vision that everyone needs a decent place to live, Habitat for Humanity began in 1976 as a grassroots effort on a community farm in southern Georgia. The organization has since grown to become a leading global nonprofit working in nearly 1,400 communities throughout the U.S. and in nearly 70 countries. Families and individuals in need of a hand up partner with Habitat for Humanity to build or improve a place they can call home. Through financial support, volunteering or adding a voice to support affordable housing, everyone can help families achieve the strength, stability and self-reliance they need to build better lives for themselves.
Habitat for Humanity Ethiopia (HFHE) started operation in 1993 as a branch of Habitat for Humanity International (HFHI). HFHE has provided simple, affordable shelter for families in Ethiopia while also working to improve Water, Sanitation and Hygiene and empower Vulnerable Groups in the country.
A construction Site Foreman will be involved in the supervision of contractors and other staff in the field and will oversee the construction activities that occur on the worksite. He or she will plan, oversee, and implement construction efforts at work sites and report to the Construction Supervisor. The position is required to closely work with builders or contractors, local authority’s, community leaders, community members and all other concerned stakeholders to ensure proper and timely implementation of project activities with regard to assurance of quality and stewardship. The position holder mainly and mostly to be based on the site where different project activities carried out in Addis Ababa and outside Addis Ababa to support project manager and the construction supervisor. The site Forman (SF) in assigned areas of supervision reports to Construction supervisor.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervise construction activities of the Addis Ababa Urban slum upgrading and WASH projects interventions which includes the construction of homes, communal and/or school toilets, communal water installations, Group tap water, construction of ditches, installation of solid waste disposal carriages and the like.
- Monitor quality of construction activities throughout construction phases including ensuring the measurement, the shape and availability of soil or stone during digging
- Monitor and check to ensure the standard of bar schedule (proper tying and laying of reinforcement bar) for concrete slab, ensure and monitor the concrete mix (sand; Gravel; Cement ratio) and also supervise the concrete slab work as per the standard and acceptable quality
- Supervise the structural work of construction including colons and top tie beams, and other completion works such as roofing, mesh wire, pointing, door fixing, pavements, drainage etc.
- Supervise proper demolishing of existing structures, for toilet and house construction as needed
- Supervise contractors work including their presence on site (time keeping) proper use of materials, proper deployment of their crew
- Supervise materials are being delivered on site, as per agreed quantity and quality and its proper utilization
- Assist the construction supervisor in providing input such as taking measurement and reviewing payment certificate and assist in preparation of construction costing sheet (House, Toilet cost sheet etc.) and budgeting
- Assist the National office project managers and the construction supervisor in other preparation and facilitation work which includes the following
- assist in ensuring building permits.
- Work closely with the local development committee and appropriate line offices
- assisting in community mobilization,
- Liaison and communicate with the local authorities in executing communications regarding administrative issues, water line installation, electric supply, and other correspondences and relay messages to the construction supervisor on requests and other correspondences from the authorities
- Monitor the sweat equity contributions of beneficiary in construction activities, Global volunteers’ activities, etc. …
- Assist the community development coordinator in monitoring the completed structures to handed over to beneficiaries
Duration of the contract: Six months with possibility of extension.
Required number: - 1
- Bachelor’s degree preferred (in civil engineering or construction technology and management,)
- Minimum of four years in the construction industry, and with some leadership experience
- Excellent organization and planning skills to prioritize and balance work.
- Great verbal and written communication skills
- Computer proficient, with experience in MS Excel, Project, and Word
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
Interested applicants are invited to send their non–returnable application by quoting the position in the subject matter including updated CV and application and contact details of three work related referees, (including HR and Immediate supervisor) you can submit your application through email@example.com. The closing date for submitting applications is within 7 days of this announcement. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for further screening.
Habitat for Humanity Ethiopia has a zero tolerance to Sexual Exploitation and Abuse of partner families and all staff. Protection from Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (PSEA) is everyone’s responsibility, and all staff are required to adhere to the Code of Conduct, that protects principles of PSEA, at all times (both during work hours and outside work hours).
Female candidates are encouraged to apply.