|Location||Borena, Oromia, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||September 21, 2020|
|Category|| Health Care / Medical |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
|Reference No: REC/080/20|
|Job title: Social Behavior Change Communication Officer_Nutrition|
Required Number: 1
|Reports to: Senior SBCC Officer _Nutrition|
|Closing Date: September 27, 2020|
GOAL: is an Irish international humanitarian organization founded in 1977 and currently operational in 13 countries ; in both protracted crisis and long-term development contexts. GOAL has four programmatic foci: people survive crisis; people have resilient health; people have food and nutrition security; and people have sustainable livelihoods. Description of GOAL Ethiopia’s Country Programme:
GOAL was first operational in 1984, the current country programme has a strategic focus on those affected by crisis in health, nutrition, WASH, food security and sustainable livelihoods for women, men, children and refugees and those displaced. GOAL Ethiopia has a large geographic footprint (40 districts across six regions: Afar, Amhara, Gambella, Oromiya, Somali and SNNPP), an annual operating budget of ~€13 million and a team of ~700 people committed to creating sustainable change and assisting those in crisis.
Description of the P2R Programme:
Pathways to Resilience is a five-year initiative (2020 – 2024), implemented by PCI, iDE and GOAL, targeting pastoral and agropastoral communities in Bale, Borena, Guji, S. Omo and Dawa. The purpose of P2R is to improve resilience through improved food security and inclusive economic growth, it is supported by USAID in Ethiopia with a budget of $30 million.
The programme has five components, each led by a consortium member, PCI as the consortium lead have overall programme and grant management and are responsible for monitoring, evaluation and learning using USAID’s Collaboration, Adaptation & Learning (CLA) approach. The programme components are:
1. Disaster risk management including access to informal financial services, PCI will lead.
2. Diversified sustainable economic opportunities for people transitioning out of pastoralism, iDE will lead.
3. Intensified and sustained pastoral and agro-pastoral production and marketing, water and natural resource management and access to formal financial services, GOAL will lead.
4. Improved and Sustained Nutritional Status of Women and Children, GOAL will lead.
5. A crisis modifier to respond to sudden onset shocks while preserving development gains, PCI will manage with all partners participating.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The SBCC Officer (Nutrition) will be responsible in the implementation of the nutrition component “Improved and Sustained Nutritional Status of Women and Children” in the assigned Woredas. The position holder will participate in SBCC program design, implementation, adaptation, and monitoring in line with the project strategic plan. Provides technical assistance, direction and support to the community development worker who will be assigned at woreda level. Work closely with local health authority and schools and community in the establishment of care groups and nutrition school clubs.
The post holder is required to have in-depth knowledge of nutrition, SBCC and care group approach. She/ He will directly supervise the community development workers.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY/DUTIES:
- Engage with community and local government stakeholders at woreda level to improve nutrition and hygiene practices at household level through care group approach and blanket nutrition and hygiene messaging,
- Establish care groups in consultation with the HEWs and local health authorities
- Participate in context specific nutrition researches and barrier analysis to identify triggers for healthy nutrition and hygiene behaviors,
- Plan and conduct care group approach trainings for HEWs, local authorities and community,
- Organize quarterly and annual care group review meetings at woreda level in discussion with woreda health authorities to discuss on program implementation, lesson learnt and plan for future activities.
- Work closely with school clubs, provide technical assistance on nutrition messaging and SBCC tools,
- Mobilize school clubs, key stakeholders and community leaders on nutrition and hygiene promotion and for a better implementation,
- Work closely with local authorities, community and HEWs to increase demand for pro nutrition and hygiene products.
- Work closely with market and production officers on increasing supply for pro nutrition and hygiene products,
- Use already established groups under the government or other P2R components to leverage healthy nutrition and hygiene behavior.
- Monitor the activities of care group and school clubs closely,
- Responsible in documenting woreda level project results and impacts in various forms, lessons learned, case studies and other areas, and share to line manager,
- Responsible in implementing and assessing innovative approaches in demand generation for pro nutrition and hygiene products,
Directly supervise woreda level community development workers.
- Recruit and induct community development workers.
- Provide strong and professional leadership to the team
- Develop strong and professional relationships across the consortium.
Do you want to join an exciting organization that brings high level impact to the community and add value to your professional advancement? Then join us if you have:
· At least three years previous experience in nutrition program and SBCC,
· Diploma and above in nutrition/public health or social science
· Good English language skills, ability to speak, read and write Ormiffa language is a must,
· Good communication, facilitation and negotiation skills.
· Extensive knowledge of nutrition and SBCC
· Good computer skills with ability to use Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook.
Desirable qualities, Skills and Competences
- Qualified and experienced candidates who is very good understanding of the local Language & culture.
GOAL’s recruitment procedure is fair and transparent which is also in line with the organization’s commitment to its integrity, honesty and culture. GOAL is committed to ensure that, its performance complies with the terms and conditions of relevant agreements, applicable laws & regulations. Hence, pre-employment background checks will be conducted, and employees are required to read, understand, sign and implement different polices including safe guarding and child protection policy, Protection from Sexual Exploitation and abuse policy, sexual harassment policy, code of conducts and any other rules and regulation of the organization. GOAL is strongly committed not to harm the people under its care.
Interested and qualified applicants need to submit ONLY once their non - returnable application with CV for one vacancy. The vacancy reference number along with Job Title needs to be written in the application letter and/or subject of the email. Applicants can apply using the following option.
- Applicants who have access to the internet can directly submit their application to firstname.lastname@example.org (The vacancy reference number, Job Title along with the full name needs to be written on subject of the email, failing to do this will leads to disqualification) and on ethiojobs.net
GOAL strongly encourages female candidates to apply!
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview and exam.
Shortlisted candidates will need to submit other supporting documents upon request at later stage.
GOAL is not able to contribute towards any costs incurred by candidates during the recruitment process.