|Date Posted||September 19, 2020|
|Category|| Business Development |
|Job Type|| Contract |
In Ethiopia, DCA works to save lives through humanitarian action, build strong and resilient communities, and fight injustice and inequality.
DCA has been supporting food insecure communities in Ethiopia with humanitarian assistance and long-term development since the mid-1970s through local churches and faith-based organizations and has been legally registered in the country since 2004. DCA Ethiopia’s modality of implementation is a combination of co- and self- implementation and working with local partners and like-minded INGOs in consortia. It has an office in Addis Ababa and 4 field offices in Amhara, Oromia, Gambella and Afar regions. The country programme has 3 thematic areas:
1. Community Development with focus on Women Empowerment
2. Resilience Building and Livelihood
3. Humanitarian action
About the Job
Dan Church Aid (DCA) in consortium with Mercy Corps is about to launch a project called “Resilient, Incomes through System Strengthening in Gambella Region (RISING)” with financial support obtained from WFP. The project will work towards improving rain fed crop production through expansion of improved technologies, development of small scale irrigation scheme, improving livestock productivity and promotion of social cohesion and peace building. DCA Ethiopia seeks experienced Peace Building and Social Cohesion Officer with previous experience of planning, implementing and monitoring and evaluation of peacebuilding and social cohesion programs with specific relevance to refugee and host community settings. S/he will be responsible for leading, designing and implementing peacebuilding and social cohesion activities of the RISING project. The officer will be responsible for leading and supervising all technical aspects of the peace building component of the project to ensure all aspects of conflict are adequately addressed and activities are implemented through a conflict sensitive approach, and that all relevant stakeholders are capacitated on peace and conflict sensitivity approaches. The officer will also assist the country office in designing and implementing peace building and social cohesion interventions.
Vacancy Number: DCA-Eth/VA-05/2020
Number Required: One
Duration: Until 31 October 2021
Duty Station: Addis Ababa with frequent travel to Gambella
Reporting to: Project coordinator
Expected Start Date: As soon as possible
Roles and Responsibilities
Project development and Planning
- Actively take part in dispute resolution and social cohesion related assessments in refugee camps and host communities.
- Contribute to development of concept notes and proposals for peace building.
- Design proper strategies and approaches to effective implementation of peace building and social cohesion initiatives.
- Prepare detailed workplan for implementation of peace and social cohesion activities of the RISING project.
- Continuously collect and share new updates and developments related to social cohesion and peace building both at regional and national level.
- Is responsible for timely and quality implementation of peace related activities and attainment of targets.
- Devise strategies and means for smooth implementation of project activities.
- Build capacity of relevant stakeholders on the area of peace building and social cohesion.
- Ensure the participation of faith-based institutions, grass roots community structures and government agencies.
- Ensure proper mainstreaming of conflict in DCA’s programmes and other partners including the government.
- Develop and implement guidelines, manuals and SoPs that could help in mainstreaming of conflict.
- Introduce and scale-up conflict sensitivity approaches in DCA and partner programs.
- Oversee the implementation of grass roots community conversation sessions and facilitate the undertaking of peace related events.
- Properly manage the utilization of budget allocated for peace building.
- Develop and update project risk plans and put in place proper mitigation measures
Monitoring, Reporting and Coordination
- Conduct regular kebele and woreda level follow-up visits.
- Collaborate with CO and field level M&E team.
- Carefully formulate and Produce regular reports as per donor expectations including human interest stories and best practices.
- Collaborate with the project lead in sharing information and other project resources.
- Participate on relevant coordination platforms and forums.
- Generate learning and evidence from the project implementation
- Minimum BA Degree in Conflict Studies, Peace Building or Other Social Sciences.
- At least 4 years’ experience implementing social cohesion and peace building programs.
- Excellent written and spoken English language
- Experience in providing training and capacity building for staff
- Ability to understand and respect the cultural, religious, and political environment and to work well with staff and local authorities in a diplomatic manner.
- Project management experience and ability to conduct technical and financial planning of operations.
How to apply: Interested and qualified applicants should apply for the post via the below link.
DCA is an equal opportunity employer and all interested candidates are encouraged to apply regardless of age, race, gender, marital status, and religious, political, or ethnic affiliation. Please do not mention your religious or ethnic affiliation in your application.