|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||October 7, 2021|
|Category|| Accounting |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
INTERNAL/EXTERNAL VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
Specialist- Internal Audit Compliance
CARE Ethiopia Program
CARE started working in Ethiopia in 1984 in response to severe drought and famine that devastated the population and claimed the lives of nearly one million people. Since then, the organization’s activities have expanded to address the root causes of poverty and vulnerability.
In 2008, CARE Ethiopia’s office moved from a project-based approach to a more focused and strategic program-based approach. Over the eight years since that transition, CARE Ethiopia has implemented a series of programs with successful outcomes, while simultaneously impacting the policies and practices of government, serving as a thought leader amongst NGOs, and bringing transformative change to rural communities. These broader and deeper impacts go beyond the direct impacts of its programs and are a result of CARE Ethiopia’s overall country strategy, which enables CARE to design for scale.
CARE Ethiopia works in various sectors but has particularly targeted the following: Food Security and Resilience; WASH+; Nutrition; Dignified Work; Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights and Humanitarian Response as cross-cutting (focusing on the above sectors).
Date: October 4, 2021
Vacancy No: 171/21
No of Positions; (one)
Salary: USD 1564
Type of Employment- Indefinite
Duty base and Position: Addis Ababa
Dead Line: 10 days from the date of announcement
The purpose of Specialist - Internal Audit Compliance position is to assist the Internal Audit Manager in providing overall leadership, management and supervision of CARE Ethiopia’s internal audit functions specifically focusing on Compliance matters. S/he is required to assist in leading the review and appraisal of the system of internal control system within the country office to give reasonable assurance on adherence to acceptable standards, policies, procedures, Long Range Strategic Plan (LRSP) and legal requirements. Assist in analyzing the complexity of standards, activities for the Country Office to assist departments & units in obtaining timely consultation, feedback & awareness. S/he is responsible for assessing existing compliance risks using up to date risk assessment methodology, assist and advise the manger about current and emerging risk exposures, based on the assessment, rank them in overall company wide perspective. S/he also discloses growth areas and compliance problems and suggests applicable solutions for exceptions and problems disclosed. S/he is required to ensure the technical integrity and clear presentation of compliance findings and recommendations, and advise the leaders in following and tracking the responses and actions agreed upon by CARE and partner management.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
Job Responsibility #1: Monitor Country Office Compliance Risks
- Assists in identifying Compliance risks, organizing & updating relevant documents, develop tools etc in the areas of:
- Donor regulations (U.S. and Non-U.S. Governments, private and public donors)
- CARE USA & CO’s policies and procedures both formal and informal in all areas
- Global legal environment
- Ethics and social responsibility standards
- Grants and contracts (capacity and legality; breach and remedies)
- Employment relations
- Partnerships etc
· Collects, analyzes, summarizes & evaluates data related to complex standards, rules, regulations, activities in the Country Office to assist departments & units in obtaining timely consultation, feedback, awareness to new developments and changes.
· Monitors risks related to non-compliance to the CARE USA & CO as well as external policies, standards, rules, regulation etc applicable to CARE Ethiopia’s operations.
· Assesses existing compliance risks using up to date risk assessment methodology, assist and advise the Internal Audit Manger about current and emerging risk exposures, based on the assessment, rank them in overall company wide perspective.
· Plays part in identifying financial, operational, and food commodity non-compliance risk areas, assist in leading the review and appraisal of the system of internal control system within the country office to give reasonable assurance on adherence to acceptable standards, policies, procedures, Long Range Strategic Plan (LRSP) and legal requirements.
· Ensures the technical integrity and clear presentation of compliance findings and recommendations, and advise the leaders in following and tracking the responses and actions agreed upon by CARE and partner management.
Job Responsibility #2: Provide Overall Consultation & Advisory Services
· Helps in disclosing growth areas and compliance problems and suggests applicable solutions for exceptions and problems disclosed.
· Assists in providing regular advisory services to the departments units to ensure that CARE’s resources are properly managed and utilized.
· Conducts independent and objective analysis to provide counsel as it relates to compliance management to ensure the effective adherence to all the required standards.
· Represents the Internal Audit Manager in his/her absence, as a key advisor to the CO Audit and Audit related issues.
· Provides assistance advising on new policy and implementation of audit recommendations throughout the organization.
§ Supervises, leads, guides and supports all members under her/his supervision;
§ Assist the Internal Audit Manager to orienting, training, coaching and mentoring internal audit staff in technical implementation and production of quality and timely audit reports;
§ Carries out compliance related training for other staff members as deemed necessary;
§ Completes all performance management activities including: performance planning, monitoring, annual performance appraisals.
Job Responsibility #4: Recommendation and Implementation Follow-up:
§ Ensures that the monthly and annual audit and monitoring responses are as per the set guideline;
§ Prepares reminders to audited units’ management for delayed monthly and annual audit and food monitoring responses
§ Prepares audit and compliance monitoring implementation status report to the Internal Audit Manager
§ Assist in follows-ups and ensures that the recommendations of CARE USA and other external auditors are implemented and gives feedback to the management.
§ Ensures the production of high quality, clear and detailed audit reports to enable the Internal Audit Manager release timely & relevant internal Audit Reports.
§ Develops training materials; conduct training on Compliances, Internal Controls, Audit Recommendation Implementation techniques.
Job Responsibility #5: Assists Audit Planning
§ Prepares annual compliance audit plans and work schedules using appropriate and up to date audit risk assessment methodology for approval by the Internal Audit Manager;
§ Prepares and ensures the adherence to individual audit plan before each field visit;
§ Provide analysis and identify risk prone Compliance matters in areas of Finance, procurement and operational areas to properly address during the review to set priority;
§ Propose audit program to be used, techniques to be applied, sampling techniques to be used and sample size to be covered in dealing with compliance matters;
§ Propose in preparation and management of annual budget requirement for the Unit.
Job Responsibility #6: OTHERS
§ Assists the Internal Audit Manager in directing and controlling the functions of internal audit unit.
§ Assist the external auditors;
§ Participate in coordination of the year - end physical inventory or project close out time of the Country Office;
§ Perform other duties as assigned.
GENDER EQUALITY AND PREVENTION OF SEXUAL EXPLOITATION AND ABUSESHEA
- Contribute to an environment within CARE's workplaces, programming, and communities where CARE works that is free from sexual harassment, exploitation, and abuse.
- Understanding and demonstrated commitment to the importance of gender, youth and social inclusion issues.
- Demonstrated commitment to principles of Gender Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and PSEAH (safeguarding), as evidenced in previous positions / programming.
QUALIFICATIONS (KNOW HOW)
Required: - B.A. Degree in Accounting.
Desired: - Diploma in Law, Chartered/Certified Public Accountant or Certified Internal Auditor (CIA).
Required: - 5 – 7 years of supervisory experience in internal auditing specializing in compliance, financial and operation management.
Desired: - Experience with INGO funded by US Government, EU and with complex projects/programs is added advantage.
C) TECHNICAL SKILLS
§ Strong organizational skills and ability to coach staff in prioritizing workload whilst maintaining a high standard of work;
§ Fluency in English language and written communication; ability to explain to staff at all levels the underlying principle of policies and risk, provide technical advise and support
§ Demonstrated experience advising the Internal Audit Manager, in compliance risk management and internal controls
§ Demonstrated technical and managerial ability, sound judgment, ability to work effectively with others at all levels as appropriate;
§ Firm belief in teamwork, gender equality, sensitivity to HIV/AIDS, participatory approach and sustainable development;
§ Computer skills.
§ Experience in the use of PeopleSoft Financial Management Solutions (FMS) software.
§ Female Candidates are highly recommended to apply.
Respect, accountability, courage, excellence, analytical ability, stress tolerance, facilitating change, problem solving, managing performance for success, adaptability, coaching, collaboration, developing teams, initiating action, Interpersonal skills, communicating with impact, Information monitoring, innovation, planning and organizing, negotiating.
CARE Ethiopia is committed to preventing all unwanted behavior at work. This includes sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, and child abuse. We expect everyone who works for us to share this commitment by understanding and working within the CARE Safeguarding Policy and related framework. CARE Ethiopia has a zero-tolerance approach to any harm to, or exploitation of, a vulnerable adult or child by any of our staff, representatives or partners.
CARE Ethiopia reserves the right to seek information from job applicants’ current and/or previous employers about incidents of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and/or sexual harassment the applicant may have been found guilty to have committed or about which an investigation was in the process of being carried out at the time of the termination of the applicant’s employment with that employer.
By submitting the application, the job applicant confirms that s/he has no objection to CARE Ethiopia requesting the information specified above. All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks.
If you are interested to be part of our dynamic team, exciting work environment and contribute to CARE Ethiopia’s mission and vision, please send your CV (not more than 3 pages) and cover letter (not more than one page) through ethiojobs.net
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Passionate and dedicated candidates who meet the requirement are strongly encouraged to apply, especially women!
CARE seeks to improve the lives of the most marginalized, particularly women and girls. Our diversity is our strength. We encourage people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply.