|Location||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Date Posted||October 2, 2021|
|Category|| Social Sciences |
|Job Type|| Contract |
Number of Position: One
Duty station: SPIR II Consortium Office
Strengthen PSNP Institutions and Resilience II (SPIR II) is an anticipated 5-year USAID/BHA funded Resilience Food Security Activity (RFSA) led by World Vision and including consortium partners CARE, ORDA and IFPRI. World Vision and its partners will create a strong, shock responsive ecosystem of public, private, and community level actors to support PSNP households to graduate from poverty and sustain income and food security gains in 17 targeted woredas in Amhara and Oromia regions. Building from key formative and research studies during an initial refinement period, SPIR II will use continuous learning to drive program level reflection, analysis, and adaptation.
Purpose of the position:
The GIS Specialist is responsible for identifying geospatial data to be collected and organized to provide maps, tables and charts for decision makers. S/he plays a lead role in preparation, conception and production of relevant maps for the project. The GIS Specialist will ensure accurate linkages between spatial databases and other M&E and formative research and evaluation data; work closely with MEL Lead, MEL and MIS specialist to operationalize an effective MIS system, enable the smooth flow and management of the data and its visualization. S/he is responsible for delivering intensive geospatial data and capacity building activities across all implementing partners. The post holder is also required to ensure spatial data quality of implementing partners. S/he should extend effective support to the SPIR II implementing partners for the smooth implementation of key geospatial data collection and analysis.
Coordination and Support
- Provide guidance and leadership for the overall management of GIS for SPIR project.
- Coordinate, mentor, coach and provide technical support to program staffs, region, and woreda, partners and data collectors in respect to GIS activity.
- Responsible to identify and guide spatial information needs at the consortium and IP level to meet USAID/BHA requirements
- Plan, coordinate and take part in spatial data collection tool design and support the IP in data collection processes.
- Play a leader role in preparation, conception and production of spatial data for staff members at the consortium and IP level, and respond to requests from donor as well as WV US office
- Ensure accurate linkages between spatial databases and other M&E and formative research and evaluation data;
- Support M&E, Database Specialist and MIS specialist on MIS, data collection, quality assurance, analysis and reporting ,Support SPIR II M&E team in routine data quality assessments to be carried out internally by CL team or IP level M&E team and also during donor data auditing processes,
Geo Information Data Management and Analysis
- · Ensure the development, updates, and maintenance of SPIR geodatabase for internal use
- · Produce GIS outputs of data collected from program woredas, conducted assessments, design and redesign processes and also conduct monitoring and evaluation of activities,
- · Lead and take part in data acquisition, development, updating and maintaining of geospatial data and producing GIS outputs/results that will be incorporated in different researches and reports of SPIR II activities etc.
- · Coordinating implementation of GIS activities including spatial data collection/data capture and analysis from collected spatial data, satellite imageries and aerial photography as needed by SPIR team and stakeholders (including donors)
- · Maintain geospatial documentations for reference purposes and work in compliance with GIS standards and quality policies.
- · Stay abreast of latest developments in GIS field
- · Production of GIS products including maps and factsheets by fulfilling the requirements of SPIR/RFSA, USAID/BHA and concerned partners.
- · Manage GIS data using diverse GIS system software like ArcGIS, Survey123, R-based system and ensure data cleaning, management, and merging using such systems;
- · Maintain, update and expand the GIS data or conduct GIS data management, analysis, reporting and data dissemination using a range of GIS software
- · Ensure continuous use of automated data analysis and map production for SPIR II/RFSA during the project period,
- ·In coordination with MEL and learning/Research partner ensure GIS requirements are met
- Support the development of relevant data collection tools, data collections, geo-spatial data analysis and productions of map, trend/time series of GIS data analysis and data management plan;
- Liaise with SPIR management, technical leads, donor and IPs team as well as WV HQ team to meet the SPIR II /donor’s GIS data needs, required maps, reporting and related information requests of diverse team including SPIR MIS team,
- Led the processes of dissemination of GIS products in line with SPIR and USAID guidelines and procedures for learning,
- Maintain the strictest confidentiality of data and related processes and actively take measures to prevent the unauthorized sharing of information and data;
- Under supervision of M&E lead and the COP, ensure that GIS products are uploaded in relevant data portal as required and permitted.
- Enhance GIS capacity building work to the regional and local government bodies and offices responsible for NRM, watershed activities, and other related infrastructural works (with additional GIS supports),
- Provide technical backstopping on GIS and MIS database and building the capacity of IPs (CARE, WV and ORDAs) team at all level and also to regional and woreda level relevant team on GIS data collection, analysis and use as well as on related database maintenance and advanced GIS techniques and its integration to SPIR intervention
- Conceptualize methodologies for collecting data in the field according to need; and do supervision and monitoring of remote or/and direct data collection, as well as in organizing and supervision of GIS field missions;
- Provide leadership in designing and implementing geospatial database (including quality control standards for system application), and in ensuring proper data management (including use of GIS applications based on growing spatial data needs and demands) and uses of spatial data for panning, monitoring, learning and decision making,
- Cross check data collected in the field, monitor accuracy of data collected ensure regular updates and solve eventual discrepancies.
Qualifications: Education/Knowledge/Technical Skills and Experience
Required Professional Experience:
- Minimum 10 years of experience in GIS / Database management, preferably in natural resource management, resilience and food security initiative
- Master’s degree in GIS, Geography, Environmental studies or a related discipline
Preferred Knowledge and Qualifications:
- Experience analyzing data with R is required; knowledge of other statistical programming languages and packages a plus;
- Extensive previous experience with mobile data collection (ODK, KOBO), ESRI, ARC GIS, Survey 123
- Excellent Microsoft Excel skills
- Knowledge of the Adobe Suite, particularly Illustrator and InDesign is desired;
- Excellent team management skills;
- Ability to operate in a cross-cultural environment requiring flexibility;
- Fluency in English and one local language is required;
- Ability to work independently
Working Environment / Conditions:
- Office based with travel to the field
- Travel: 35% Domestic travel is required
Interested applicants are required to Write Position Title on the subject line and attach Current CV with three references & fill employment application form which can be found http://docs.ethiojobs.net/wve-jaf.pdf ) and email before the closing date of this announcement to Recruitment_ethiopia@wvi.org or through ethiojobs.net.
World vision has zero tolerance towards abuse and exploitation of children and vulnerable adults. Every prospective employee, volunteer, and intern is obliged to comply by world vision’s child and adult safeguarding policy."
Note: we do not receive hard copies