|Date Posted||April 11, 2022|
|Category|| Communication |
|Job Type|| Full-time |
Overview of the Scaling Up Nutrition Movement (SUN) and the Ethiopia Civil Society Coalition for Scaling Up Nutrition (ECSC-SUN):
The Scaling up Nutrition - SUN Movement is a renewed effort and commitment to eliminate all forms of malnutrition in the world by 2030. The Government of Ethiopia is among the 65 countries globally that joined the SUN movement and has committed itself to an Ethiopia free from malnutrition by 2030. Currently hosted by Save the Children, ECSC-SUN has been operational since June 2013 and has now grown into a strong coalition of over 60 member organizations, all committed to improving nutrition. The coalition has been working in close collaboration with the Global SUN Secretariat, Global SUN Civil Society Network (CSN), the Eastern and Southern African SUN CSN, the Government of Ethiopia National Food and Nutrition Programme implementing sectors, all SUN Networks and other nutrition platforms to accelerate action in nutrition in Ethiopia. The network has a General Assembly, a steering committee and a Secretariat based at Save the Children responsible for the coalition’s activities implementation, coordination and management. The coalition has established regional ECSC-SUN coordination platforms and thematic focus initiatives for smooth coordination and implementation of the coalition’s activities. Save the Children Ethiopia is the Chair of the coalition and hosting the secretariat and Concern Worldwide is Co-Chair.
The Senior Communications Specialist, in collaboration with the ECSC-SUN National Lead and SUN Government Focal, will be responsible for implementing the ECSC-SUN and Multisectoral program (MSP) advocacy and communications work including coordinating major events, leading their design and execution, holding media events, managing digital and Social media presence, producing press releases, maintaining close relations with key media contacts, overseeing standard and quality representation of ECSC-SUN Secretariat during external events, and organizing major events and visits. S/he will also be responsible for content generating including multimedia content.
S/he represents ECSC-SUN and Save the Children values and principles in interactions with staff and external audiences, including frequent interaction with coalition member technical staff. These values and principles include a commitment to the mission of ECSC-SUN and Save the Children, team orientation, accountability, integrity, and ambition. It is expected that the Sr. Communications Specialist will demonstrate initiative and leadership including introducing systems and procedures to strengthen the public image of SUN MSP & ECSC- SUN. It is also expected that the person in this position will also have a deep understanding of the political situation of the country to be able to successfully raise the external profile of the SUN MSP & ECSC-SUN while reducing the overall risk to the organization. The position holder will also frequently travel to field locations to support external events throughout the country and understand ECSC-SUN program. S/he will work very closely with the ECSC-SUN Secretariat and ECSC-SUN Advocacy and Communication TWG members, ECSC-SUN coalition member agencies communication team and the rest of the ECSC-SUN coalition member program implementation team.
The position holder is expected to coordinate the advocacy efforts to influence the effective implementation of food and nutrition policy and its strategy and the Seqota Declaration and related initiatives by food and nutrition implementing sectors and stakeholders at national, regional and sub-regional levels for improved nutritional outcomes.
S/he will engage with ECSC-SUN member agencies, GoE Ministries, and other SUN networks in the country to ensure smooth coordination and implementation of the SUN MSP and ECSC-SUN coalition’s advocacy and communication activities and supports GoE national food and nutrition strategy, Seqota Declaration and related initiatives. In addition, the Senior communication specialist will also provide support to the National SUN Government Focal for the Multi-stakeholders SUN Country program coordination and implementation tasks.
S/he represents SC values and principles in interactions with staff and external audiences, including ECSC-SUN member technical and management staff members.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Ownership of communication processes and delivery
- Develop / Revise ECSC-SUN communications and advocacy strategies and implementation guidelines including parameters for the delivery of effective events and media engagement
- Generate content (print and multimedia) intended for external use
- Ensure the quality of all external communications including events and media engagements that meet global and national standards
- Develop and implement a proactive strategy for media engagement for the ECSC-SUN programme
- Train ECSC-SUN coalition members on appropriate communications and advocacy skills
Media stakeholder engagement
- Develop a media engagement strategy for the ECSC-SUN including identifying key dates and global moments
- Identify and maintain diverse contacts in the national and international media
- Produce high-quality, accurate, concise press releases on different topics that support ECSC-SUN priorities
- Maintain contacts with other communications persons in ECSC-SUN coalition member organizations including SUN MSP Networks, SUN Government, donors, UN, Private, Academia and other CSOs.
- Ensure that relevant ECSC-SUN members have Advocacy, communication and media training
Support for events and visitors
- Develop guidelines and parameters for running ECSC-SUN events
- Lead ECSC-SUN visibility events
- Lead and support the execution of major events
- Maintain photos, presentations, banners, and other materials to support ECSC-SUN events
- Document events and communicate them as appropriate through internal and external channels
- Support major ECSC-SUN Programme implementation area visits including producing background information, supporting planning processes, and facilitating logistics
Strategic Development and Implementation
- Develop an understanding and awareness of the overall advocacy and communications needs within ECSC-SUN programs including Advocacy and communications strategies and implementation guides for ECSC-SUN coalition members
- Assist the ECSC-SUN National Lead and ECSC-SUN Secretariat in the implementation of the ECSC-SUN advocacy and communications strategy
- Work closely with the ECSC-SUN Advocacy and Communication Technical working group and coalition members Advocacy and Communications experts
- Document ECSC-SUN Programme implementation at regional and lower levels and produce short videos and success stories through print and electronic media.
- Regularly assess the effectiveness of ECSC-SUN advocacy and communications activities
- Ensure regular monitoring and evaluation of ECSC-SUN communication, advocacy and policy work and that regular review is undertaken to continuously improve effectiveness and impact
- Ensure that RCSC-SUN programme learnings are included in advocacy and policy products
- Serve as focal editor for internal and donor reports, and note-taker for ECSC-SUN General assembly, Steering committee and TWG meetings.
Maintain a database of resources related to events, visits, and media engagements
- Develop and maintain a database for all ECSC-SUN communications materials and strategies
- Keep ECSC-SUN communications support materials for use in future activities
- Share summaries of relevant ECSC-SUN external media engagements internally within coalition member
Capacity building of communications and other staff
- Communicate the engagement strategy within the ECSC-SUN coalition members
- As appropriate, include ECSC-SUN communications activities in new projects
- Build the capacity of regional-level ECSC-SUN leadership in assisting in implementing the ECSC-SUN communications and advocacy strategy at regional levels
- Build the capacity of coalitions communications and advocacy staff to support ECSC-SUN external communications work
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
- Holds themself accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modeling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated thinks strategically
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- At least eight years of relevant experience in media, communication, advocacy and policy analysis in an international NGO
- Bachelor /Masters/Post-graduate degree from a recognized university in a relevant field
- Experience in leading communications, Advocacy and media activities in a challenging environment and a good knowledge of the Ethiopia media scene, networks, and media contacts
- Experience in delivering advocacy, communication and policy training, presentations and other capacity-building activities to varied audiences, ideally within ECSC-SUN programme.
- Experience in leading and/or supporting others to design and deliver advocacy, communication programme, research and policy work
- Proven analytical and problem-solving skills and ability to work with others to develop the advocacy and communication strategy into action and communicate this to a wider audience
- Strong advocacy, lobbying and influencing skills and ability to influence and liaise effectively with key ECSC-SUN coalition members, nutrition stakeholders and representation of the coalition in high profile environments as appropriate and as agreed with the ECSC-SUN National lead
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and producing high-quality English-language materials for a wide range of different audiences including donors, journalists and the 'general public'
- Excellent IT skills with an understanding of effective visual communications for diverse audiences
- Experience in multimedia content development, excellent writing skills, and the ability to produce compelling media products in English, such as press releases, key messages, speaking points and Q&As
- Excellent interpersonal and collaboration skills, particularly in cross-cultural contexts.
- An initiative-taking, proactive, inspiring attitude with the ability to manage and prioritize an unpredictable workload and solve problems quickly with limited support
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy, and the ability to advise on sensitive issues
- Commitment to the aims and principles of ECSC-SUN and Save the Children
Save the Children Values: Accountability, Ambition, Collaboration, Creativity and Integrity. To meet the value system, the post holder is expected to demonstrate the following Competencies on an ongoing basis:
- Leading and Inspiring Others: Demonstrate leadership in all our work, role model our values and articulates a compiling vision to inspire to achieve our goals for children
- Delivering results: Takes personal responsibility and holds others to account to deliver our ambitious goals for children, continually improving our own performance or that of the team/ organization.
- Developing Self and Others: Invest time and energy to actively develop self and others to help realize their full potential and to build the organization's capability for the further.
- Problem-solving and decision-making: Takes effective, considered and timely decisions by gathering and evaluating relevant information from within or outside the organization and making appropriate judgments.
- Innovating and Adapting: Develop and implement innovative solutions to adapt and succeed in an ever-changing uncertain work and global environment.
- Applying technical and professional expertise: Applies the required technical and professional expertise to the highest standards; promotes and shares best practices within and outside the organization.
Engaging (align with Collaboration, Creativity)
- Networking: Builds and uses a sustainable relationship to support the work of save the children
- Working effectively with others Works collaboratively to achieve shared goals and thrives on diversity of people and perspectives; knows when to lead and when to follow and how to ensure effective cross-boundary working.
- Communicating with Impact: Communicates clearly and confidently with others to engage and influence; promotes dialogue and ensures timely and appropriate messages, building confidence and trust with others.